• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Saiga308 said:

I enjoy the feel, sound and the accuracy at distance of the 308. Ammo prices aren’t too bad either. Plus nothing beats having 2 uppers and a single nice firearm. One short barrel for fun and long for competition.

I have a slightly different opinion - why don't you build another lower receiver, complete.  That way, you'll have two functional rifles.  Instead of one rifle, and one fancy club...  

• 1 month later...

Another newbie here, but only my membership in the AR-10 pattern club. My first rifle was a Winchester .22 pump, bought new for me on my 6th birthday, and it will qualify for social security this summer. Yes, I've still got it.

I'm here because of my wife. She made me do it. She asked me, "If you could only have one rifle, what would it be?" That brought up the best all-around caliber (.308, naturally) and the best launcher for said caliber. After a lot of comparisons, the AR-10 rose to the top. Of those, a DPMS G2 edged out the others, mostly because of weight, accuracy, and cost.

And now I'm finding changes I want to make. Don't ask me to come to the dark side ... I can't afford it. But I'll admit the light's getting dimmer around here!

20 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

And now I'm finding changes I want to make. Don't ask me to come to the dark side ... I can't afford it. But I'll admit the light's getting dimmer around here!

You have already crossed over to the darkside by being here.  This group of enabling gun nuts will help you drain your wallet faster than you can imagine.  They will also get you through any misfortunes that pop up along the way toward rifle perfection

Shooter lets buils something that's lightweight and something you can be proud of....lets start with this awesome crème de la crème matched upper and lower ...this will make your finished weight awesome. I pimped this to an new member and it came out great

https://2a-arms.com/products/xanthos-lite-large-frame-receiver-set     I had to go to a hybrid upper to get into the 6 pound range 8 pounds with optics.....but if you get this and shop around for cheaper...and get their matching barrel  https://2a-arms.com/products/18-2a-lightweight-308-barrel        or the faxon gunner you will have a 3k gun for bout 1700/1800  if you search some threads theres  a thread that I priced out fully and where to get and how much...check it out    don't be buying any junk or build a junker....it only costs 10 percent to go first class.......oh crap that was in the 70's   :laffs:    Wash

Dad Decided he didn't want his dpms lr308 ap4 and wanted my m1a instead, so we swapped. He carried an m14 for 4 years in The Corps and was very familiar with it operation. I had already made upgrades on both rifles. Now i'll concentrate on building the ar. 

Plus I was raised on the big hole theory of.308 and 45acp. lol

• 5 weeks later...

I had done a review of a Ballistic Advantage barrel .....long story short I love them but had a hard time getting MOA out of a barrel, is have three more in rifles. I called and got told I should try Federal match.... great ammo but a slap in the face to me . Avid reloader and I take my MOA 556’s to the 600 yard line all the time so I feel like I make better ammo than Federal.

two years go by and I forget all about it because MOA out of this particular set up means nothing to me. However I had ran across their Facebook page and being new to Facebook,a year now, I left a review of how I love them , workmanship, materials and attention to detail but really feel like they should lose the moa guarantee because they don’t need that imo

They replied with an apology and wanted a chance to make it right . Both things unnecessary I replied , I tried two years prior . 

To which Clint Hanson replied to me requesting my phone number so he can talk to me about this . I assured him there was nothing to be done but he insisted. 

After talking with Clint for a while about making barrels , I’m an ex barrel maker , he said to me “ well I know your not looking for anything but when you build your next rifle the barrel is on me “ ..... I assured him that wasn’t necessary but he insisted again . I’ve barreled a couple 308’s for friends but never had one of my own . So I told  Clint a 16” 308 would be awesome. He sent me two ....wants me to review one. I kept the Hanson profile and sold the other and purchased a BCG .... so here I am learning all I can about the buffer sytem . Picked up the 6 position Armalite buffer kit thanks to this site....... all I have left to pick up is a handgaurd , buis and a scope/mount then I will be shooting my own 308 . 

B894D4B9-D05D-43EF-8F97-F7D1E2598B72.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Having bought, built and owned many variants of the AR15 platform I wanted something bigger but familiar. Own a couple .308 bolts but now building my first AR 308. Need my BCG to get her and decide on optic.

34C1D487-C814-48DE-A38B-DF0DDE159791.jpeg

Edited by AL303

I had always wanted a .308 AR... just to see if it stacked up against the M21... ( which they do, and are easier to fuss over and remain accurate for longer periods between cleaning  )

And that lead to a 6.5CM... and different barrel lengths and brands in the ever growing clan....

It is a hobby that will suck your bank accounts dry.... Lol