• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My AR10 replaced an ammo sensitive M1A Scout. I used to be a big fan of the rifle until I got a chance to use an M110 during my last tour. As someone else said, the M14/M1A community is always looking for original GI parts for their rifles. I got tired of "chasing the dragon," so to speak. It's hard accurizing an M14/M1A; it's even harder to keep it that way. Sure, you have to lube an AR more than and M14. But a bottle of lube is much cheaper than a NM op-rod.

Plus mounting optics is way easier, parts are more readily available and the AR series (regardless of caliber) has waaaaay better ergonomics than the M14/M1A.

Next step from an AR15 I guess. I've had a variety of ARs and other 5.56 rifles, as well as an M1A long ago. I liked that M1A, but I like the AR platform for its versatility, and the power and range of the 308 round on that platform is a real plus. I only shot my M1A with iron sights and I like that optics are easy to mount on my 308AR. Its more accurate with less work too.

Just like the other guys once I got used to the 5.56 then got a .308 bolt but was not comfortable for me to shoot and you lose your spot weld when you pull the bolt.Since I became familiar with the operation and maintenance .308 AR was the next move got lucky searching for info after buying rifle and found you guys glad I did I have learned a lot and continue to learn.You guys are also nice to communicate with, this posting is a first for me and a lot of fun and for me anyway am happy with my Rock River products.Shoot on brothers. <thumbsup>

I only shot my M1A with iron sights and I like that optics are easy to mount on my 308AR. Its more accurate with less work too.

That's a mouthful there, Argonaut!  Shopping a scope mount for any M14 type rifle is an experience in mind bogglement for sure.  The new chassis make it easier to mount a scope but often double the price of the rifle.

I was plenty good with the irons though.  Hard to beat a good set of NM peeps.

Jon

• 2 weeks later...

well its only been 4 months since i got into this whole firearms scene. I started off with a prebuilt ar15. I wasn't satisfied by it and i have the tendency to fiddle around with things, disassemble/reassemble things, so a couple of months later i built my own "fARkenstein". Now I heard that .308 is a little bit more trickier to build so here i am..... and I also want a longer range rifle

Was getting sick and tired of having my shoulder killed by the 300winmag, I've always enjoyed hunting deer with the AR, however 5.56 can't do poop on a brown bear(protection, not hunting) therefore the AR only got to go hunting in certain areas. When I finally got around to deciding on a smaller caliber, the 308 in an AR platform made total sense. 

I was about to purchase an armalite, however the company did some actions I disagree with on a moral level, thus leading me to the DPMS platform.

Never been happier, actually makes shooting the 5.56 less enjoyable.

Not sure if the 5.56 will ever go deer hunting again.

• 4 weeks later...

I started with an AR15 and really liked the platform. I don't like bolts guns so when I thought about long range and hunting I traded an AR 15 for a DPMS ap4. That is now my favorite gun! Accurate, fun and not too much recoil!

I have owned an AR-10 armalite .308. It was an awesome rifle, but, to my dismay, I couldnt reload for it. I tried everything. It would only feed factory. I was wondering if anyone had owned an LMT .308 and if you can reload for it. If I cant reload for it, I dont want it. Thanks in advance. WG

It's like this: You can shoot it, and the bullet will do its' job. A 22lr will 'kill' most things if done right. Then, there is distance; to reach out and touch something. All bolt rifles excel at this to some degree or another.

Then, there is the ability to put more ammo into the target, whether to drop it faster, or to drop more of said target in a given amount of time. Plus, more bullets sent downstream creates intimidation. The AR15 excels at this.

Then, there is the intimidation factor, tied to the ability to drop more than one target in a given amount of time....... coupled with the ability to rip off an appendage or 2. The AR10 platform.

But the reason I finally bought one??? Got a smokin' deal on the rifle.  <thumbsup> $900 for the rifle, sling, optic, case, 5 Pmags, and 2 Bushmaster mags.

Because the AR platform was not big enough to shoot the bullets in the round I wanted.  While the AR-15 will shoot the .500 Phantom with hunting type bullets, the platform is too short to shoot the .500 Phantom with BMG bullets loaded for high BC and subsonic use.  Next came the need for an elephant gun in an AR type platform, and again, the AR-15 was too short to handle the length of the .470 Rhino.  Then the .358 HDH, same story, needed the length for the bullets I wanted to use at the depth I wanted to seat them.  Finally a factory round, the .338 Federal.  Rather boring compared to the others but a great rifle none the less.

• 2 weeks later...

Hunting? Target? Range? Power? Natural progression after getting bored with AR-15's? Just cuz? Something else?  <munch>

All of the above, plus it just looks right.  It looks like a serious

caliber and its performance proves it.  I love the low recoil,

down range ballistics, and mostly not overly expensive to shoot!

<thumbsup>

natural progression carried m16 for a while. few years later pre-ban bushy carbine (yep one of THOSE states) next got a little more addicted ,kit rifle from shurlucks 20in h-bar still love that basic rig carry handle and all,next lr308 off shelf scoped it up for break-in four days freezeing the chance of any more kids off. fingers numb but worth it. sorry for the mission creep but love the power and range of the 308 that the 15s cant get. even that said did just finished mini-sass build. did flute the lr and slap a benny cooley on it,prs stock,rra 2 stage,precision grip,gun fighter charge handle,10x40 osprey--------------------- insert joke but it fell off bench to concrete pad no prob just fresh alum. scars. love my 308 panther.

Wanted a gas gun, already have a very expensive caliber bolt gun, wanted something more affordable to shoot. Love the way they look and has the ability to inflict serious damage at good distances as well, plus the way politics is in this country right now, they may get banned(along with others), so now or never to me.....

I purchased a DS M4 mounted an Eotech HWS and 3x Mag. One weekend I went to my dads property hunted a little bit and at the end did some target practice with the 5.56.

Afterwards my father pulled my man card and said to me, "thats nice son I but I wouldn't consider getting one unless they made it in a mans caliber like a 308"....

• 2 weeks later...