• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

I've started my AR .308 build, finally. So far I have the JD upper/lower (not the matched set)  DPMS BCG and DPMS lpk. My goal is to build a long range tack driver, I need to know what kind of match barrel is recommended, should I go 20" or 24"? any suggestions

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Built the 308 to build up a variety, it's definitley my favorite to shoot though.

Mossy XD-  There is a ton of info on barrels here.  Are you going to be hiking with it, or keeping it on the bench.  I need to look back through, but I think that 18" is about the sweet spot for the 308.  I went with 20", it's also what the military has on their 308 semi-autos.  Check out Fulton Armory, but the options are limitless.

• 3 weeks later...

For me this is a substitute for a practical bolt gun. I was originally going to buy a fancy adjustable stock, different stock metal, AI magazines, have my muzzle threaded for a nice brake on my Remington 700.

My buddy said "My LR308 already has all of that from the factory" my face contorted slightly at the thought but then I realized he was right. All of the AR10/SR25/LR308 people I see on the firing line are sporting good optics and banging away at the same 600 yard targets I am but they aren't disturbing their solid firing positions to work the bolt like I am.

I am now on the hunt to build the lightest DPMS/Knight's pattern 308AR I can that is still capable of turning in respectable groups and go bang every time I pull the trigger.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m U.S. Army retired and did small arms repair my whole career with the exception of the five years when I was an instructor at the small arms repair course. Over the course of my military career I’ve seen several weapons come and go. Some I felt should have been kept in the system and some that should have never been invented. I’ve fired most of them as well as a few of the German weapons. Of all the weapons that I’ve shot, there is one that really stood out for me and that was the German H&K G3 rifle. It is 7.62 and has a better range of accuracy than our M16s. Ever since then I’ve always wanted shoot long range with a rife of that caliber. This was back in the late 80s when I shot this rifle. As we all know, in the last few years, the AR style rifles have become really popular and they have also become the men’s Barbie because of all the accessories that can be added to them. So where am I going with all of this you wonder. Well, if you think about it, the AR style rifle has been the type of rifle that I’ve shot for the better part of the last 26 years of my life. I have always wanted to do some long range shooting and the 7.62 can do the job. With that said I bought a DPMS 308B and have add several modifications and still adding. I changed the A2 stock out with a Magpul PRS. To that I added a monopod and added a hydraulic buffer. I added iron sights, a riser and a good scope, a bipod, a palm rest pistol grip and will be adding a good two stage trigger. As it is now, I can put three rounds in a quarter at 100 yards. It has an 18” barrel so I don’t expect a great deal of accuracy a 1,000 yards but when I get that accuracy at 800 yards, I’ll be happy until I get a second upper receiver with a 22” barrel. The one thing that I’ve noticed the most when shooting this rifle it that it fits like a glove when it is shouldered and griped while firing. Too bad my M16 never felt like that. Anyway, that is my story on why I chose the DPMS 308.

• 1 month later...

i have owned my current ar15 for about 3 months now, it is my first one ever(the extreme brokeness begins) and i enjoy it very much. i happened to come across the complete tm machine lower on the local guntrader forum and it was a good deal. i hope to get this thing built in the next few months, the cool part is i have never fired a 308 or a 308 ar, so the first range day with my soon to be complete 308 long range lead delivery steel sledgehammer system will be kick ass...BOOM...PING!

I decided to finally get a DPMS LAR-308 when I finally came to the conclusion that I could not put a scope on my FN-FAL.  Every mount I tried, and every scope that I mounted up, would fail... and rather quickly. 

The FN was a pretty good shooter, but I was used to AR-15 sights.  This was before the A2 style rear sights were made for them.

I sold the FN, and used the proceeds to fund the DPMS.  It has abilities that my FAL lacked, like a free float tube, Chip McCormick trigger pack, adjustable stock, ans most importantly- a scope!

At 100 yards, the DPMS will give me cloverleaf groups (usually a flier with a five shot group for some reason) with my handloads.  It likes Win748 and 150gr A max. 

I have yet to go beyond 300 yards, but I am planning on it by loading heavier bullets and testing for a decent group at 100 before I shoot them at longer ranges. 

I just had the barrel threaded for my Gemtech and noticed a slight (1" slanted up and to the left) POI shift shooting suppressed and then unsuppressed.

• 1 month later...

Hi from Northern Virginia.  I'm a long time troll of some of the other well known forums and happened across this thread due to a new project.  I've built a number of typical AR15's and long range rifles over the past few years.  I thought I would dip my toe into the semi-auto long range rifle scene as an eager to learn hobbyist.  I've gotten  my fill of mouse guns for the moment so it's time to try on a new set of shoes (so to speak).

• 2 weeks later...

Figured out that my FAL was never going to be 2 moa or less built up a rem 700 and was never really all that into it and was looking at spending big bucks to make it like I wanted. Then I realized that I can build up a nice sub moa semi auto for about what I was going to spend on making my 700.....

After building up a sweet Rem 700 (.308) I moved onto one AR15 (then a second AR15 for my daughter).  I love playing with my mouse guns, but I really missed shooting my .308.  I compromised and moved on to 308 AR as a happy medium.  I tell you I thought it would be cake (similar to building up AR15's), but I was slightly mistaken.  I'm a student all over again, but that's what projects are for.