• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a .308 Savage bolt to round out my collection of common firearms calibers and it was wildly inaccurate for me (sold it).  I wanted to keep a .308 around and my JP-15 was wicked accurate, so I figure why not build a bigger and younger brother.

Couldn't be any happier to have made the switch.

I don't own one. I just like coming over here to watch you guys.

I'd have to pay for this much entertainment locally.  ;D

You bill should have been in the mail...  If you didn't receive it yet, the Collections Department will be on you in no short order...  <laughs> <lmao>

For me, I am choosing to go the 308 AR route based on my background. I Used the M16A4 while in the USMCR for 6 years. i liked the weapon design but found the .223 round lacking. I preferred when I would be designated to carry the M240B because it was an awesome gun and could do major damage from afar. I had been looking into building a custom M14 but it was very cost prohibitive to build a high quality rifle. Then I started looking into a basic DPMS 308 Classic, ran across this forum, and decided to try out building a 308AR of my own. I figured out I can build one of the same quality and purpose that i was looking for in the M14 build i was looking at for a good deal cheaper. Also, I'm already familiar with this weapons platform so I wont have to relearn much. 

• 2 weeks later...

i went to the lr308 platform for two very simple reasons,

I wanted a new rifle, preferably in the AR platform/style but with some power behind it

My rifle popped up on a mustang forum i belong to for a damn good price for what it was, with most of the upgrades that i would have thrown at it, already done to it, and it was a very low round count rifle(sub 100rds).

Long time member here... Never had a chance to share my story...

I was ready to move up from my Smith and Wesson M&P15-22. I went to the local gun shop, where I buy all my guns, and told the clerk I wanted an AR-15. The clerk was very knowledgeable about the guns, even though he was only 30 years old. He told me that only very specific brands were considered "battle rifles" and that if I didn't want to be considered a complete ignorant "newbie" then I should only buy guns used by Chris Costa and Larry Vickers. The clerk advised that he never really served, but that he has been playing paintball since he was 15 and he regularly hangs out at 3-gun competitions, so he knows how adrenaline can affect weapon function. After almost an hour of the clerk narrating every Costa and Vickers film, he suggested I buy a Noveske N4 with a Trijicon ACOG... That is, until I was ready to move up to a "real" bullet like the 6.8 SPC.

Seeing as he brought it up, I asked the clerk if he knew about the rumors of the .223 not being powerful enough to kill. The clerk was very excited to point out to me that the .223 bullet has never actually killed anyone. Instead the bullet just hits the target, flops around inside, and then the target dies from injuries instead of the bullet. He warned me about when the "SHTF" comes, all hell will break loose and I will need a more powerful rifle than a .223. I had no idea the State Housing Trust Fund was so aggressive that they would be going after innocent civilians, but I was intent to learn more. I was confused by his logic and asked him to explain. The clerk pointed out that the 6.8 SPC was conceived in a temple by shaolin monks over a 1,000 years ago. They knew it was going to be the most destructive bullet ever, so they kept it a secret until it was discovered by government agents that infiltrated the temple. If I wanted to protect my family when the "SHTF" comes, I will need to upgrade to this bullet as soon as possible.

I was just about to jump on this rare opportunity to have the ultimate protection for the lives of my family for the coming "Barack-alypse"... My eagerness to learn must have sparked something in the clerk, as I opened my wallet. He told me that he had one more pertinent point of information that was being subdued by large corporations and government, because of their fear of revolution. That is when he educated me on the marvels of the .308 Winchester cartridge.

He was informed enough to tell me about how this guy named Tango was hiding behind several feet of brick and concrete wearing all sorts and manners of kevlar armor. He said that the simple infantry teams were unable to defeat the cover and defenses of this guy Tango. They wasted thousands of rounds that just ricocheted off Tango's body. Then a Spec-Ops Recon SEAL arrived with a Vietnam-era M1A that he personally modified with parts and accessories he was able to fabricate in the desert. This guy was able to one shot kill Tango, through all the walls and armor, right in the head, with his rifle from 1,000 yards.

I was amazed by this information. Never had I realized that a bullet used by NATO forces would be so anemic that it didn't actually kill. I knew right away that I was going to need a .308 rifle. The clerk pointed out to me that his T-shirt said "one shot, one kill" because Carlos Hathcock used a sniper rifle shooting the .308. How could this young man behind the counter know so much?!?! When asked for the source of his information so I could learn more, he was reluctant to reveal his sources, but did say I could come back anytime with questions that he is willing to answer.

After maxing out two credit cards and signing the pink slip of my pickup truck over to the shop, I walked away with a great new rifle. It weighs 28 pounds fully loaded, but the clerk advised that my arms will eventually get used to the weight.

Thanks for letting me share my story...

<munch> <munch>  i put on 28lbs just eating popcorn while reading that story.... 

It mirrored my experiences exactly, cept for all the expertise and knowledge exchange that went into convincing you to do it, and the gun store (building my own), etcetc....  I just figured it looked so cool and had a bigger hole, it HAS TO BE better  :cookoo:

In reality, You guys are to blame for my jumping into the shallow end head first, ragtag bunch of enablers that you are.....  ;) <lmao>

Russ

<munch> <munch>  i put on 28lbs just eating popcorn while reading that story.... 

It mirrored my experiences exactly, cept for all the expertise and knowledge exchange that went into convincing you to do it, and the gun store (building my own), etcetc....  I just figured it looked so cool and had a bigger hole, it HAS TO BE better  :cookoo:

In reality, You guys are to blame for my jumping into the shallow end head first, ragtag bunch of enablers that you are.....  ;) <lmao>

Russ

Tell me you did NOT just knock the paraffin buckshot trick. That was totally below the belt!  <laughs>

This topic was a pinned topic until, when? 

Why unpinned?  :o

Purely based off Rob's personal testimony and immediate LGS education by true professionals, I think it needs to remain pinned...  <dontknow>

That's some pretty phenomenal poop, right there...  <thumbsup> <laughs>