• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I figured its time to get rid of my bolt in 243. Why not go with an AR! .223 is to small for my preferred use as a deer hunting rifle so 308 it is! Now ill be prepared against the unlikely event of an zombie apocalypse with some stopping power backing me. 

• 3 weeks later...

I've not really spent much time with the 5.56 AR platform though I have had 3 and currently have a Colt LE6920.  As for the venture into .308, well, I didn't have a .308 and what better way to get into that caliber than with the AR platform? 

I mainly plan to do some semi-long range stuff with my DPMS and didn't have anything that fit that role.  I have other rifles but nothing quite like this.  <thumbsup>

• 2 weeks later...

I have 12 complete .223 AR-15s and 8 stripped lowers so I figured it was time to build something different. I am thinking about a new build for Precision Rifle on an AR-10 platform. This looks like a good place to reasearch my project.

^^^  I like this guy already...  <thumbsup> ;D

New here. Never had an AR, and no real desire for a 15. Always wanted a .308. I don't plan on running through 10s of thousands of rounds. I do not hunt. But if the SHTF, I figure a .308 semi would be a good one to have. Same reason for the .45APC. Looked at the other platforms, and would not mind a M1A, but after all was said and done, availability/price/quality in the AR platform can't really be beat. It was always really far down on the list.... but it just got moved up to #1. So here I am.

I was broke so I sold a Baretta M92 to a friend of mine,he had just bought an LR308 sass. weelll he showed me this LR308 carbine that he had, so I fondled it and held it, then I thought about it for a couple days and decided I had to have it.  :drool:

Mine is a bit more convoluted story.  I've been a bench-rest shooter most of my life; as such, I was damn sure that I would not be satisfied with anything that loaded from a magazine.  Then one day a friend let me shoot his new .204 Les Baer, and I couldn't believe that an "AR" could deliver sub .5 groups.  I ordered mine the next day.  After a couple years shooting .2 to .4 groups, I decided to have another built - this time a 6mm wildcat (based on a necked down 6.5 Grendel) w/26" Krieger (yep - you heard that right - 26" barrel on an AR platform).  Again I was surprised that a rifle that loaded from a magazine could group as well as the shooter - groups averaging .2.  OK, I'm sold and no longer avoid the AR platform, even though I carried them during a 25 yr military career.  The next natural progression was a .308; but I didn't want to shell the bucks for another custom upper, so I settled on a factory job after much research.  I received the 20" POF last month, and so far I'm not impressed; accuracy is no better than the mass produced crap we were issued by Uncle Sam.  I've not yet had a chance to develop my own loads; however, I doubt that I will get near the accuracy of my other rifles - which shot sub .5 MOA w/Fed GM's right out of the box.  If I manage to achieve satisfactory performance (.5) after load development, I'll retract my disappointment.

post-2701-136297287135_thumb.jpg

The POF is piston-operated.  I don't believe accuracy is affected by the type of action, either piston and/or impingement.  There are many opinions out there about piston vs. impingement...mostly regarding reliability and action cleanliness (or not), but for anything other than full-auto operation, I don't believe most will see any difference.  I have noticed that the action stays cleaner w/piston.  The adjustable pressure is also a benefit for use of suppressors.  Thanks for the feedback!

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Bushmaster 16" 7.62 Russian AR, and a VLTOR 20" mini SASS both home assembled by myself and figured it was time to score a .308. Was lucky enough to get a complete CMMG for full retail ($1699) from southern Texas, and it should be in by the end of the week. This price gouging on guns and ammo is killing me and I refuse to buy from an center of uranus who's goin to make a 200%+ profit on a $3000 Oracle or something similar  :cookoo: . I have 300 rounds of Hornady Steel Match in route from BPS also.  <thumbsup>