• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first fell in love with the AR platform during my time in the military and I have had one ever since.  A couple of years back I was introduced to pig hunting and haven’t looked back.  I have been looking for a perfect pig gun ever since.  I needed something with some power, but lightweight to go where I needed to go.  I looked at everything from 45-70 lever actions to .450 bushmasters to 6.8.  I decided to go to the AR platform after much discussion from people I know and others around the country about how you can’t hunt with an AR.  I then decided to go with the 308 due to better access to ammo. 

I wanted to start building a few ARs and liked the 7.62/.308 round over the 5.56/.223 because of the stopping power. I knew a bigger round would come with a higher price tag and I wasn't crazy about the availability of the 6.5, .458, and other similar rounds. Even with the demand for the .308 round, I still see it here and there. The fact that the 7.62 is also a NATO round helps too.

I've always like the .308/ 7.62x51mm, The accuracy and power, I have hunting rifles in .308, I've shot High power Competition with it! I've owned and sold off other 7.62 NATO battlerifles like the Cetme and the FN/FAL. They were fine rifle in their own right but The AR platform / rifle to me is superior in comparison with this caliber.

I'm really just an occasional target shooter, with my guns primarily for home and other defense. I'm in Florida, so there is a real risk of post hurricane "issues". I've always wanted an AR, but felt that the .223 is a bit light of a load. My brother in Virginia hunts + texts me pictures of the deer, and here in FL the deer + wild hog hunting is also pretty sweet. So when the gun grabbers started the talk of a new assault weapon ban, I figured it was time to buy or potentially forget about ever buying. Still another month for the lower to be complete in production, but its going to be a super sweet custom rifle once its done.

• 3 weeks later...

Having been a former marine , I fell in love with shooting the m16 platform and have been collecting and shooting tactical rifles.. 

I have been shooting the High Power Rifle series of CMP and USPA matches..Currently have been putting together a cpl. of classes to try in the 3 gun series.

Was looking  at running in the heavy metal class ( Im a big fan/owner of the 1911 platform) so procuring an ar-10 style was going to be a needed thing "just another reason to also buy another gun (lol)

I trained with an M-14 at Benning in late 60s. Always remember the accuracy at longer distances. Then I inherited a bolt action 30.06 and scope with a farm I bought, and damn that's a cartridge there. Finally in January, during the "recent unpleasantness" with threats of a renewed gun and mag ban, I got a couple Colt M4s, and loved where the weapons have evolved to. Started reading about AR10s, and 308 ARs, and a sheriff captain buddy told me about his DPMS. Looking for one of those, I found the new Smith & Wesson M&P10. Found one with Magpul furniture and Troy sights. Had it a couple weeks, like it a lot. It only weighs 8.2lb. Need to decide on glass for it.

KC we're going to need pics of that M&P10!

Lots.

And lots!

Jon

Jon

I don't really have pix yet. Will see if i can figure out how to post pix on this board. Meanwhile, there are a couple good threads on M4Carbine.net (http://www.m4carbine.net/showthread.php?t=121627),

and AR15.com (http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_121/601588_VIDEO__SandW_MandP_10_LE_Mil__308_Unboxing_and_Review.html&page=1)

good info, some nice upgraded rifles with photos.

• 2 weeks later...

I had wanted a 308 ar for a long time so two and half years ago I contacted SI Defence and talked to Josh in building a 308 sass rifle in all FDE suppressor ready. It was all ago. rifle would be done in two weeks. Just had to email him the ok. The better half sits me down and tells me she is pregnant! So I canceled my order. Now I'll have a 2 year old on May 2 and if all goes well and the parts come in. My first build will be hopefully done. But it cost me twice as much as the one I had SI price out for me 2.5 years ago. But I wouldn't change anything. I glad I am building one myself.

• 2 weeks later...

I cut my collecting teeth on the 7.62 x 51 round and ended up owning one example of every MBR made that shot it (Along with a lot of other calibers).  Outside of my Garand and 03A3 in 30.06, the .308 rifles were just extraordinary.  It's no stretch of the imagination as to why the M14 became so revered as a long-range shooter to the snipers in their day.  So, after cutting  my teeth building 9 ARs, I ended up keeping one, selling the others, and buying a DPMS LR308b with an 18" bull barrel.  I've since improved it with a Geissele trigger and I've got a Magpul PRS stock on it, too.  The optics I've got on it are the modern version of the Leatherwood Camputer scope.  Once set for the ammo I shoot, you simply dial up the distance (250 yds to 1000 yds) and it automatically adjusts for elevation all you do is figure windage.  It is just an awesome rig.  I recently had it out to 300 yards and it wasn't even being challenged scoring direct hits, cold.   Add to that the fact that I own a lot of the better surplus ammo having bought my share of it when it was cheap.  The way I figure it, this is a dead nuts shooter for well past  500 yards which will keep the zombies way out of the perimeter never allowing them to get in close.  And, it would be an excellent large game gathering rifle, too.

I've loved each and every .308 rifle I've owned including the "M1a race rifle " I had all set up for competition.  It was a true tack driver but the DPMS is just a modern and ergonomically better designed rifle imho. 

Rome

• 2 weeks later...

I was issued the M-60 in the army, I was in from 72-75 I never so any combat and only shot it a few times. But compared to the m-16-A1 it wasn't a contest at all.  I did end up buying an AR-15 first. But ordered a DPMS lr-308 the same day.  I love the 308 no worries about penetration . Easy to hand load. Would like to get a LMT if the price ever comes down.  But my DPMS is very accurate and has not failed me yet.  My AR -15 will be for my wife to shoot or my son. Its a great camp rifle but to protect my butt I want a 308 platform.

• 1 month later...

For me, moving up to the .308 AR platform was a two-part process.

Part 1 was moving up to .308. I had a reasonable collection of guns, but for shooting deer, all I had was a Mossberg 590 with slugs. With that comes not much effective range, and not much accuracy. I started looking at the larger calibers out there for rifles, and eventually settled on .308. It could do what I wanted, and -- this was inspirational -- even in the depths of the ammo shortage, there was nearly always *at least some* .308 on the shelf.

Part 2 was moving to the AR platform. I had originally set my sights on the BAR, which everyone agrees is a fine, sweet gun, and weighs less than my Mossberg for toting around in the woods. But the more I looked for a BAR, and realized they were impossible to find, the more I realized I would be giving up a lot on other features. For instance, the BAR gives you 4 rounds in the magazine +1 up the spout. And you can't get extended magazines for them. So, it would not really be SHTF armament. So, the AR platform it was.

I guess there's maybe a Part 3 here involving choosing DPMS, but that would take me off-topic.

In short, I needed a hunting rifle in that caliber, with SHTF capabilities.

• 2 weeks later...

I was getting sick of my AR15 and its expensive ammo. Shooting was no fun any more. Both for the price and the airgun feel of my gun.

So one day I shot a few rounds of rented M14 on a 500 yrd range. It was an instant love for 7.62s.

I sold my AR15 and bought a PTR, the G3 clone.

Since then I've been buying high quality but cheaper 7.62 ammo from Seneca Armory, (they sell direct, you have to email them) and MidWayUSa and living the life of bliss on my range of choice.

I don't own many guns, but since my PTR, I've recently bought a LeEnfield M4 chambered 308.  

Long time member here... Never had a chance to share my story...

I was ready to move up from my Smith and Wesson M&P15-22. I went to the local gun shop, where I buy all my guns, and told the clerk I wanted an AR-15. The clerk was very knowledgeable about the guns, even though he was only 30 years old. He told me that only very specific brands were considered "battle rifles" and that if I didn't want to be considered a complete ignorant "newbie" then I should only buy guns used by Chris Costa and Larry Vickers. The clerk advised that he never really served, but that he has been playing paintball since he was 15 and he regularly hangs out at 3-gun competitions, so he knows how adrenaline can affect weapon function. After almost an hour of the clerk narrating every Costa and Vickers film, he suggested I buy a Noveske N4 with a Trijicon ACOG... That is, until I was ready to move up to a "real" bullet like the 6.8 SPC.

Seeing as he brought it up, I asked the clerk if he knew about the rumors of the .223 not being powerful enough to kill. The clerk was very excited to point out to me that the .223 bullet has never actually killed anyone. Instead the bullet just hits the target, flops around inside, and then the target dies from injuries instead of the bullet. He warned me about when the "SHTF" comes, all hell will break loose and I will need a more powerful rifle than a .223. I had no idea the State Housing Trust Fund was so aggressive that they would be going after innocent civilians, but I was intent to learn more. I was confused by his logic and asked him to explain. The clerk pointed out that the 6.8 SPC was conceived in a temple by shaolin monks over a 1,000 years ago. They knew it was going to be the most destructive bullet ever, so they kept it a secret until it was discovered by government agents that infiltrated the temple. If I wanted to protect my family when the "SHTF" comes, I will need to upgrade to this bullet as soon as possible.

I was just about to jump on this rare opportunity to have the ultimate protection for the lives of my family for the coming "Barack-alypse"... My eagerness to learn must have sparked something in the clerk, as I opened my wallet. He told me that he had one more pertinent point of information that was being subdued by large corporations and government, because of their fear of revolution. That is when he educated me on the marvels of the .308 Winchester cartridge.

He was informed enough to tell me about how this guy named Tango was hiding behind several feet of brick and concrete wearing all sorts and manners of kevlar armor. He said that the simple infantry teams were unable to defeat the cover and defenses of this guy Tango. They wasted thousands of rounds that just ricocheted off Tango's body. Then a Spec-Ops Recon SEAL arrived with a Vietnam-era M1A that he personally modified with parts and accessories he was able to fabricate in the desert. This guy was able to one shot kill Tango, through all the walls and armor, right in the head, with his rifle from 1,000 yards.

I was amazed by this information. Never had I realized that a bullet used by NATO forces would be so anemic that it didn't actually kill. I knew right away that I was going to need a .308 rifle. The clerk pointed out to me that his T-shirt said "one shot, one kill" because Carlos Hathcock used a sniper rifle shooting the .308. How could this young man behind the counter know so much?!?! When asked for the source of his information so I could learn more, he was reluctant to reveal his sources, but did say I could come back anytime with questions that he is willing to answer.

After maxing out two credit cards and signing the pink slip of my pickup truck over to the shop, I walked away with a great new rifle. It weighs 28 pounds fully loaded, but the clerk advised that my arms will eventually get used to the weight.

Thanks for letting me share my story...

Does anyone else ever go back and read the stupid sh!t they posted in the past?

• 3 weeks later...