• Visit Sportsmans Guide

17 dead in Florida School shooting

survivalshop

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some good points from We Like Shooting on Instagram;

• welikeshooting"Such tragedy and happening so much more often. All of these deaths and they are on our hands. If our children are not safe, we are failing our society. We have laws in place to prevent this but they aren't working and our kids are still dying. "

These are all things that were said about school fires. We didn't outlaw fire. We didn't require background checks for matches. 
    What did we do? We educated. We modified infrastructure. We made changes. We affected change.

Fire exits, fire extinguishers, maps, fire drills, fire alarms, sprinkler systems. You won't find schools in our country that don't have these things. It wasn't always so. We made these changes to make our kids safer. With 40% of school fires set intentionally, we didn't try to legislate mental health, we didn't add overly restrictive laws that affected the freedoms of Americans. Yet still, when was the last time a child died in a school fire? It doesn't happen anymore.

So instead of going on and on about the black hole of mental health, about restrictions that affect American freedoms on items protected by the Bill of Rights, let's focus on improving the things we can change. Let's make our schools safer, let's educate our kids, teachers, staff and administrators. Let's make sure that medical supplies and training are available and required. Let's improve our school buildings to make them safer. Let's teach everyone how to respond, react and survive in active killer situations. 
    There are things that we can do right now. There are ways we can make our kids safer right now. Fires don't kill our kids in schools anymore, let's make it the same for murderers.

^^^  I agree with that.  I think it sucks, though, that teachers will have to basically be "Combat Medic" certified to work in a school.  That's something that I'm not mentally digesting very well...  because that fact sucks so bad...

But when did it become ok in someone's head that the solution to the problem is to sneak up and murder innocent people. For all the years I have been alive and around guns, guns that never got a second look.

I like that read brother, but it goes back to the house that is where it started...this situation just didn't pop up.

Yet other's knew.

Edited by unforgiven

Mental health is part of it , everyone of these killers were on psych drugs & treatment of some sort , including this one , when he turned 18 , he walked away . Instead of just drugs , hospitalization & treatment in a mental facility until they were well & could manage in society  & if not , some where to keep these killers out of society , which there isn't . 

& yes if your fuking crazy you shouldn't own a firearm ! 

You also cant compare fires & shootings , two different issues & two different requirements to combat them . Now there are ways to make Schools safer , it will cost $$ & man power . A fire alarm or fire door will not help a determined shooter , as was in this case , he used the fire system to get more targets !

There was a LEO on duty at this school , but he was unable to get to the shooter , because it is such a large campus , one LEO was not enough & the shooter probably knew where he would be . I worked at a Hospital & when tone particular duty LEO was on , he was by the hottest nurse & you could write a book on it , not saying this LEO was doing the same , but this POS knew the lay out & he planed it well & probably knew , at that particular time , where the LEO was & entered this large campus accordingly .

Not a fix for anything with this topic, but....

I was getting ready I was getting ready for work this morning, along with my son being at home getting ready to go to his job, and I looked at him and in my exact words " what the f*** is wrong with you, and what the f*** is wrong with your brother? You guys grew up with guns, loaded guns, in the house, around the house, and never killed anyone." He looked at me worried when the first part came out, and then got that big sheeiiiit eating grin on his face when I finished my comment. Then he just shook his head when the statement sunk in.....

He is 20, his brother 21......

I cannot speak for how messed up other family situations are/might be, but they didn't grow up with a silver spoon in their mouth, and have been taught right from wrong the whole way. They knew exactly what my fun tools were capable of, and we're not taught to be afraid of them, knew that the crap on TV and video games WASN'T reality, and that once something was dead there was no restart.

25 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

How about a program around " you hear something say something"   ... 

Someone did, they were ignored. problem is how much more authority do we want to give the government to "protect" us? What authority do we give the FBI to monitor people that drunk post or just post something stupid? Liberty is dangerous, we either accept these incidents as the heavy price we pay for Liberty or we give up true Liberty.  There are precautions we can take to help stop some of these incidents but they won't stop them all. Not a good answer but then there are no foolproof answers for these issues. 

10 hours ago, mrmackc said:

We don't teach about good and evil or about consequences of doing evil acts. Our punishments for murder aren't really punishments.  Back in the day murderers were tried one day and executed the next day. Preachers and school teachers taught that if you killed someone you would be killed and burn in Hell for eternity.  Now you are locked up, fed, clothed, in a climate controlled cell with TV, computer access, good medical care.  Many states with death penalty don't execute before 15 years.  Hardly anyone believes there is a God, a devil or a Hell. Kill a bunch of students and become famous.

mother fing washington gov passed a law yesterday to do away with the death penalty . Without my vote. believe me i voted against these top hat ranking officials but my side is vastly out numbered in my state.. seems like the crime is worth the time. free room and board to kill and mame in my state.  im so close to moving the f out! 

lets not forget the 3k criminals they accidentally let loose and something like 40 have already reoffended some have murdered.  

8 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Someone did, they were ignored. problem is how much more authority do we want to give the government to "protect" us? What authority do we give the FBI to monitor people that drunk post or just post something stupid? Liberty is dangerous, we either accept these incidents as the heavy price we pay for Liberty or we give up true Liberty.  There are precautions we can take to help stop some of these incidents but they won't stop them all. Not a good answer but then there are no foolproof answers for these issues. 

I will never accept this as a price for freedom , when there are ways to stop most ,if not all of them from happening in our schools .      

Your right , we may not stop every single one , because of a chink in the armor of security , all are human & make mistakes , but with proper security , deter 99% of them & thats a win !

Hannity on Fox News said the same thing I said about securing our schools , its not about Just Guns & the second Amendment or about anti guns & anti second Amendment , its about security for the schools , just like a Federal Building or Court & its also about mental Health , the Hipaa laws ,as far as it contains to certain Mental health issues , all should be part of a back ground check .

I trust my Heart DR. to tell me my Heart is fuk'ed up , why not trust a Dr. to tell  your Brain is Crazy !  Its not rocket science when you say you hear voices & you want to kill people , is that the kind of people we want to have firearms ?

49 minutes ago, survivalshop said:

its about security for the schools , just like a Federal Building or Court

This would be an excellent starting point. I can't even bring a pocket knife into the building when I go to meet with a Superintendent of one of our National Parks, metal detectors and armed guards at all entrances. Why are they so much more important than our children!

As far as trusting doctors.....I come from a different paradigm. Doctors cost me my health by not paying attention and taking the easy way out for them. 5 years on disability and the loss a very lucrative job but they were in the clear because the issue was listed on the sheet as a "simple complication", I paid the bill to fix what could be fixed. I do not trust doctors almost as much as I do not trust politicians.

2 hours ago, survivalshop said:

I trust my Heart DR. to tell me my Heart is fuk'ed up , why not trust a Dr. to tell  your Brain is Crazy !  Its not rocket science when you say you hear voices & you want to kill people , is that the kind of people we want to have firearms ?

"You voted for trump....you must be crazy. No guns for you"

8 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Any time you give someone authority over you there is a risk of abuse. 

No shiit - we saw that for 8 years, from an entire presidential administration.  We're only really discovering the depths of that abuse now...

2 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

No shiit - we saw that for 8 years, from an entire presidential administration.  We're only really discovering the depths of that abuse now...

To bad the previous generations did not grasp the limited government theory of our founding fathers.........most people still don't but the pendulum seems to be trying to swing back the other way now.

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

EngrBob  is  right, you know.  This has been building up for the last 20 years.  Two decades of feel-good bullshiit, fucked up policies, and "everybody is a winner" mentality.  Couple that with some "don't hurt anyone's feelings" and a little dose of "everyone has a voice," then mix in a whole lot of the last 10 or 20 years of bad policy - provide everything for free to anyone that can bullshiit their application of justification to qualify for it...  Sprinkle in some large doses of "degradation of the mental health system" and your recipe is complete.

That's the communist plan to ruin a free society.

2 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

This would be an excellent starting point. I can't even bring a pocket knife into the building when I go to meet with a Superintendent of one of our National Parks, metal detectors and armed guards at all entrances. Why are they so much more important than our children!

As far as trusting doctors.....I come from a different paradigm. Doctors cost me my health by not paying attention and taking the easy way out for them. 5 years on disability and the loss a very lucrative job but they were in the clear because the issue was listed on the sheet as a "simple complication", I paid the bill to fix what could be fixed. I do not trust doctors almost as much as I do not trust politicians.

Mostly our Doctors nowadays are all about the dollar ... just like our politicians. 

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

To bad the previous generations did not grasp the limited government theory of our founding fathers.........most people still don't but the pendulum seems to be trying to swing back the other way now.

On that note, here's something for everyone to ponder...

The previous administration successfully created a new generation of complete fukheads.  Those that turned 18 and bought into all the bullshiit campaign promises voted for that president.  We suffered through 8 years of his bullshiit and WAY flawed policies/orders/changes.  THAT generation went from 18 to 26 years old, believing that shiit. 

They are now ANTIFA (and a few other groups, like BLM).  Many of them are the snowflakes you all saw crying when Hitlery was handed her a$s on election night in 2016...  They will continue to believe, continue to act, and continue to bully the rest of society around, for the rest of their lives.  They will make babies, and raise them with that mentality, and the cycle will go on until it's proven unpopular to support.  That will take generations.  

7 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

On that note, here's something for everyone to ponder...

The previous administration successfully created a new generation of complete fukheads.  Those that turned 18 and bought into all the bullshiit campaign promises voted for that president.  We suffered through 8 years of his bullshiit and WAY flawed policies/orders/changes.  THAT generation went from 18 to 26 years old, believing that shiit. 

They are now ANTIFA (and a few other groups, like BLM).  Many of them are the snowflakes you all saw crying when Hitlery was handed her a$s on election night in 2016...  They will continue to believe, continue to act, and continue to bully the rest of society around, for the rest of their lives.  They will make babies, and raise them with that mentality, and the cycle will go on until it's proven unpopular to support.  That will take generations.  

I think you're absolutely right.  More and more each day I am convinced this Obama generation (above) will bring our ultimate national downfall which is quite possibly inevitable.  If we are disarmed (or even reduced to Aussie-style gun control) we are nationally doomed.  The evil in the rest of the world has long been chomping at the bit for that to happen here so the USA can be dominated and controlled once and for all.  This same generation also will not be the ones to survive this drastic change.  None of them has what it takes to survive a communist/totalitarian regime.

It is always as obvious as the violence itself that every time a shooting occurs the press (ALL THE PRESS THESE DAYS) supported by the Democrats and other liberals start hollering for gun control.  These  are the same people that have argued against the existence of mental institutions and increased security in schools.  This behavior has been exhibited long-term and it is clear evidence of their main agenda which is to disarm our nation and makes us all subjects.  They will make far more progress in accomplishing this goal than we care to admit.

Most if not all of us on here have some sort of security/law enforcement/ military background and to us it's basic common sense that after Columbine it became apparent that armed security had a definite place in our public schools yet this has never happened or at least to the extent needed for it to be functional.  The reasons for this is based largely in part on the fact that school shootings is another issue to be used to bring about our national subjugation to global authority.  Either way our rights are going to continue to be eroded until our rights are lost or a significant event occurs that brings the downfall of these useless people in our society before they can cause ultimate damage.

The rest of this year is going to be interesting.  I'm already working on contingency plans.

4 hours ago, jtallen83 said:

Yep, I think you will live longer if you are cautious and wary of your so called  health care provider.

Getting old is not for the timid or  naive.

7 hours ago, GRA said:

Mostly our Doctors nowadays are all about the dollar ... just like our politicians. 

That may be true , but maybe you just picked ( or were picked for you ) the wrong Doctors . I worked in the Medical field for a good part of my life & you find who to see & not to . I guess I'm partial , because I shoot with my Heart DR. & others like him , they are kinda secretive about it , but just like you & I about the passion we share .

We peaked and are rushing towards the trough. Its an inevitable cycle...like climate change. We can tweak and poke, but the result is just shifted around by a few years. I firmly believe our technology has far outpaced our societies ability to handle it. We have created an entire generation of narcissists with social media....and it is spreading both directions. I see 40+ year olds all over facebook posting pictures of themselves in pathetically obvious attempts to gather likes and compliments.  Those pics are filtered far past the point of even looking like the person, yet we all high five each other on the fake poop because its our turn to collect some likes next. Its fraking disgusting to me and its exactly why this crazy stuff is ramping up exponentially. 

16388091_10158289300275145_3006780047965524759_n.jpg

Edited by blue109