• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

17 dead in Florida School shooting

survivalshop

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now I don't agree with a 4 year old (at least any that act like mine) going deer hunting, but I think the earlier you start out with gun safety the better. I have a buddy that never was properly taught firearms because he didn't grow up with them. a few years back we went rabbit hunting. one ran out of the bushes and ran right past my legs, my buddy shot it in the rear end. I asked him why he didn't shoot it in the head, he said if he did that he would of shot me in the leg. He didn't realize that if it was that close he shouldn't of taken the shot because basic gun safety didn't click. 

That same hunting trip he was standing on top of an old cattle shelter and another buddy was below him. This same unsafe friend says to our other buddy, "Duck!" Our stupid buddy says back, "Duck, I thought we were hunting rabbit." After he realized what he was telling him to do, our unsafe friend shoots over him!

Now my unsafe buddy is one hell of a good shot, he just doesn't know proper safety because he didn't grow up with someone to teach him. 

Now in the military I shot over and around other soldiers and had others do the same. But it sure as hell wasn't with shotguns and we were trained a lot better and did it in a controlled manner, knowing there were buildings, hills, or enough space that it was an acceptable risk. Hunting, it is never an acceptable risk to shoot near someone. 

I think kids should learn firearm safety and no law enforcement should view that as a bad thing.

Grandpa started me out hunting for the cats and dogs dinner at 5 years old. Squirrels and rabbits were considered varmints and dispatched accordingly. He gave me a few instructions, like never shoot towards the house, know where the bullet will go if you miss, keep it on safe till you are ready to shoot, little stuff like that and then turned me loose in the woods. This is the same man that taught me how to swim by pushing the dog in the water and telling me to do what the dog is doing as he threw me in after him. The critical lesson he taught though was respect, for others and myself. I think the respect lesson is the biggest thing missing these days.

12 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I tell you what, my son will probably have a daisy red rider by at least 6 and a .22 by like 8. and he is going to know how to safely use it.

I bought a Red Ryder BB gun for my grandson (who is not even two yet) a few months ago. I told my son I got it for the grandson and he said "Dad, he's not even two yet!" I told him "Well, by the time he's five or six he may not be able to get one!" Josh said "I hadn't thought of that!"

I taught all 6 of my kids (and a few grandkids) gun safety and how to shoot at a young age including the girls. Every one of them to this day know how to safely handle a gun and how to defend themselves and their loved ones with one! Five of my six kids can legally carry concealed and four of them do so on a regular basis. Wouldn't you know it, none of them have shot up a school, waffle house or any other place! Just boggles my mind!:laffs:

6 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Youngest going through our Hunters ed. course is 8. Then we have older. Just had a Paratrooper that went to Afghanistan, and his father insisted he take the course before they went out hunting.

yeah I think that's a great idea, hunting is a lot different than war. also in Wisconsin you can get your concealed with your dd214 if you are a veteran. I kinda think that is a bit stupid since some of the non combat people hardly even shot in their military careers and didn't even know how to work their weapons. I have some hilarious stories about getting a whole battalion of non infantry soldiers through qualification. lol. 

• 7 months later...
On 12/24/2018 at 9:23 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

Just in time for Christmas, Broward Cowards have decided to go into active shooter situations.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/local/community/broward/article223496650.html

That whole situation is sickening. If there were ever a preventable shooting, this one was it. No one who should be held accountable will be. Only the guns.

What pisses me off about all of this is no one lost their job.

Look into the school district superintendent history,he's a crook.

The country sherriff should have lost his job as well.

Everyone from the school,sherriff to students knew what was going on and not one person did what they were supposed to do, NOT ONE!!!

They knew for years what was going on with this kid.