• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

I can finally contribute

SimonSays

Hello all.

Until I discovered things that go BOOM, my most expensive hobby was Ham Radio. Early in Obama's first term, the gun ban/grab scare hit me hard. I went to a local gun show and bought the only 308 AR I could find. A RRA LR-8. I also picked up 500 rounds of 147 gr FMJ rounds. They were in 5 round stripper clips, had the NATO mark on the head and I have no idea who made them. I also found a HI-LUX M-1000 auto ranging scope. I thought that would be perfect since I had no idea how to shoot long range or short range for that matter. So, for around $2,300 I walked out all pleased with my self. I went home and promptly put it all in my closet and forgot about it. About 5 years ago a  "prepper" asked a question on a radio site about what radio he should get for a EOTWAWKI situation. He was tired of doing research and didn't want to get a FCC License because he didn't "want to be on a list". He just wanted to be told what damn radio to buy. Well, I composed a really long snarky reply about how getting a radio and not being able to transmit with it, to learn how radio actually worked, was an unintelligent move. With a chest swelled with self righteous pride, I was just about to hit the send button when it hit me. I'm doing the exact same thing, but with a firearm. Crap. I didn't send it.

So, I dug out the old rifle and stared at it. I didn't even know how to load it. I had no idea what any of the parts were. All fail. So I read the instructions. That was a good start, but I really needed to know how this thing works. Internet time. After a lot of sites filled with gun snobs, I found yours. Thank GOD! I've spent years reading this site every day. I have learned so much. I never thought I would be able to contribute anything, but I signed up about 2 years ago anyway. At last, someone ask a question that I had a suggestion for that no one else supplied.

Carverelli, look under General Discussion- Talk me into your favorite riflescope for 6.5 Creedmoor gas gun. I have a suggestion for you. I'll post it ASAP. Now all I have to do is figure out how.

Thank you, all you gurus on this site. You'll never know what a tremendous job you have done educating me.

Edited by SimonSays

Thanks, y'll. I love the RRA, however, the little lady could stand to go on a diet. She tips the scales around 14.5 lbs. (I think. Its been awhile since I weighed her). I've only put one box of 168 gr thru her. I've just started reloading and I've put about 50 165 gr Hornady SST's thru her too. She likes those. I haven't tried the 175's yet but its on the list. Mrs. Santa brought me a LabRadar for christmas. I love that girl. I'm planning to load a lot of differant stuff this spring and summer. I've shot up all the 147 stuff just to figure out what I'm doing. Getting better. Now is the time to up my game.

49 minutes ago, DNP said:

She don't need a diet. You just need a sexier and slightly smaller girlfriend to keep on the side. One that cooks, and one that...well...is just a little easier to toss around. 

I agree with this statement!!!! Welcome aboard. I joined here in ‘09 and glean info every day here. 

Welcome from Indiana brother I have the Standard Operator 20" HBAR carbine stock w/ Slash buffer and spring. Eats all ammo milsurp, factory. I have a few FAL metal mags. As a lefty total ambi control, love it. I also has a Battle Comp compensator for muzzle device.

Thanks everyone. I have the Standard A4. I’ve added the Tro FF Rail, SLR low profile adjustable GB. I still have the A2 stock. I’m still running the M1000 scope. It’s developed 3 flat spots in the cam section of the scope. I “NEED” to replace it. I almost purchased the PA 4-14 with the MOA reticle today. Then I noticed they are bringing back the R-Grid in Meal-Dots. Now I have to make a decision. I have a cheepo Caldwell Tripod. That’s going to get upgraded to a Magpul. After that, we’ll its funny everyone mentioned that I could use a newer, sexier playmate. I remember reading about ARTroopers 260 Rem build and thinking, “What the hell is that?” Then I read bfoosh006’s PSA build. That was inspirational. If he had a problem, he just fixed it. Then I read 98Z5V’s 260 Rem build. Light bulbs are going off. My wife has a POS Rossi single shot combo for 243/22 LR/20 Ga. I hate it, she loves it. What can I do? I load 243 for her, 308 for me. Instead of that 6.5 C that caught my eye, why not a 260 Rem?  I have tons of brass I could use. So, I’ll get the LAR-8 up to speed, than that 260’s goin’ happen. 

59 minutes ago, SimonSays said:

Light bulbs are going off. My wife has a POS Rossi single shot combo for 243/22 LR/20 Ga. I hate it, she loves it. What can I do? I load 243 for her, 308 for me. Instead of that 6.5 C that caught my eye, why not a 260 Rem?  I have tons of brass I could use. So, I’ll get the LAR-8 up to speed, than that 260’s goin’ happen. 

And then?????

48 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

And then?????

? sorry, I’m easily distracted. So, I buy 3 80% lowers when whoever has a sale again. I build that 260 for her, using some lame excuse like,” it’s not as heavy as that 308 and it kicks a lot less. You’ll love it” When she picks it up, it will be too heavy but she’ll like the lighter recoil. I’ll say, “ ok, I have 2 more lowers, I’ll make you a 243 that you like with a thin barrel that will weigh next to nothing”. I get 2 more rifles that I like, she gets one she’s happy with. And I have one more lower.  Win, win. I mean, what could possibly go wrong ?

2 hours ago, SimonSays said:

Thanks everyone. I have the Standard A4. I’ve added the Tro FF Rail, SLR low profile adjustable GB. I still have the A2 stock. I’m still running the M1000 scope. It’s developed 3 flat spots in the cam section of the scope. I “NEED” to replace it. I almost purchased the PA 4-14 with the MOA reticle today. Then I noticed they are bringing back the R-Grid in Meal-Dots. Now I have to make a decision. I have a cheepo Caldwell Tripod. That’s going to get upgraded to a Magpul. After that, we’ll its funny everyone mentioned that I could use a newer, sexier playmate. I remember reading about ARTroopers 260 Rem build and thinking, “What the hell is that?” Then I read bfoosh006’s PSA build. That was inspirational. If he had a problem, he just fixed it. Then I read 98Z5V’s 260 Rem build. Light bulbs are going off. My wife has a POS Rossi single shot combo for 243/22 LR/20 Ga. I hate it, she loves it. What can I do? I load 243 for her, 308 for me. Instead of that 6.5 C that caught my eye, why not a 260 Rem?  I have tons of brass I could use. So, I’ll get the LAR-8 up to speed, than that 260’s goin’ happen. 

Why did you put an adjustable gas block on a LAR8 ?

28 minutes ago, Matt.Cross said:

giphy.gif

LOL. I hope so my man. I’ve seen what you can do with a hunk of steel. That bipod adaptor you made was awesome. I can work wood, but nowhere near as well as you work metal. Very nice job. 

3 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Welcome from Indiana brother I have the Standard Operator 20" HBAR carbine stock w/ Slash buffer and spring. Eats all ammo milsurp, factory. I have a few FAL metal mags. As a lefty total ambi control, love it. I also has a Battle Comp compensator for muzzle device.

I forgot to say I have a Mad Dog Weapons System hybrid muzzle device. It keeps the muzzle rise down but it’s not much for recoil reduction. But it does what I want it to do, so for now, I’m keeping it.