• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Bore snakes: There is a method

2 hours ago, Exhail said:

Came across this video today about how to properly use a bore snake. I didn't realize there was a proper method. I really like these. So quick and easy. I've been using CLP, so I just soak the beginning and the end of the snake. 

same here i dislike cleaning shits but once a year or really dirty shits when needed? bore snake is every time i go to the range..

I also am not a fan , I had a guy at Hunt Camp a couple years ago ask me if I wanted to use his after a day in the field to wipe my Barrel , one look at it , it looked like he had been cleaning his chimney with it . I looked at him & said , I like to put clean Patches through my Barrel & don't need anyone else's crud put down mine . Even when guys clean theirs , they still look dirty , who knows what is not removed from that Snake ! 

Otis !:thumbup:

Edited by survivalshop

On 7/23/2019 at 6:05 AM, jtallen83 said:

Not a fan of them for actual cleaning but I do pull one through after getting it out of the case at the range or in the field, positive confirmation of no bore obstruction or too much oil.

On 7/28/2019 at 8:30 PM, survivalshop said:

I also am not a fan , I had a guy at Hunt Camp a couple years ago ask me if I wanted to use his after a day in the field to wipe my Barrel , one look at it , it looked like he had been cleaning his chimney with it . I looked at him & said , I like to put clean Patches through my Barrel & don't need anyone else's crud put down mine . Even when guys clean theirs , they still look dirty , who knows what is not removed from that Snake ! 

Otis !:thumbup:

As these gents stated and the same thing I used to teach in my classes... 

The snake is good for a quick wipe when your in the field... BUT... nothing will replace a good cleaning with the proper tools.

If your going to put that much time and money building or purchasing a rifle, why be a cheap ass when it comes time to taking care of it?

I use the Bore Snakes routinely.  They're great - for getting that buildup of high-round count shooting out of the gun. Awesome.  They're also great for getting that oil-or-whatever-shiit out of a new barrel, so you can see what the barrel really looks like with a digital bore scope.  I use them routinely, across multiple calibers - 5.56, .308, and 6.5mm.  I have brushes, patches, rods, cables, and all that other shiit, too.  Different games for different people, but Bore Snakes are far from being "a useless item." 

• 2 weeks later...

How do you clean bore snakes? Do you ever clean a bore snake? All the way?

I'm not here to argue; but I've always cleaned patch at a time. Patch cleaning is not finished until they are come out clean (twice?).

We can wax ecstatic about how a bit of grit is useful; but I'm curious about real purity....

How clean is your bore snake? Can I lick it? Eat off of it?!

On 7/30/2019 at 11:18 PM, 98Z5V said:

I use the Bore Snakes routinely.  They're great - for getting that buildup of high-round count shooting out of the gun. Awesome.  They're also great for getting that oil-or-whatever-shiit out of a new barrel, so you can see what the barrel really looks like with a digital bore scope.  I use them routinely, across multiple calibers - 5.56, .308, and 6.5mm.  I have brushes, patches, rods, cables, and all that other shiit, too.  Different games for different people, but Bore Snakes are far from being "a useless item." 

I use them and have tools.

I think I'll toss it before I wash it, but it's a good idea if the wife doesn't flip.