• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Well this sucks

Armed Eye Doc

The rest of the tree is down as is the smaller one we had him take down.  Power and gas are back up.  We lost our bathroom heater in the process.  It is no longer in code and could not be left connected with a leak in the system.  All the gas lines were replaced from the wall to the appliances.

We are mostly whole except the carport.

I will say one thing, I give your guy credit for having his ducks in a row.

Before I retired I would occasionally get sent to a tree job on a rental.

That limb that got away from your guy was probably alot more than 900 lbs.

The limb in my picture weighed close to 1,400 lbs Oak is heavy period and once you're on the rope you are committed.

Here's a few pictures of a couple of monsters that a company took down.

To give you an idea of how big these two were, I had 140' of boom out and if you look at the one picture there is a guy riding the ball up.

Normally riding the ball is illegal as hell with the one exception, that being granted to arborists.

The company is a national company and had the rule exception written for them.

I made them show me the proof because in 30 years I never seen or heard of such a law.

Doc, please take this advice

You need to find out if your lateral is an old steel line or plastic, the gas company will know!

If it's steel I'd highly recommend getting it replaced, period.

If you have a plastic line, any transition parts that are made of steel or any type of metal on the house side should be replaced.

Make damn sure the transitions on the house side are dug up and visually inspected.

If it were my house, I would demand the steel/metal be replaced,reason being you don't know for sure if the plastic line was melted or got hot.

It matters as it makes the lines brittle.

I  don't know if you are in an earthquake area, but that Aluminum flex line needs replaced as well.

As for your electricity issues, pick your OWN electrician.

Dropping a leg from your service will throw everything out of balance.

You are very fortunate that you didn't have a fire inside of a wall.

153404139_LimingOut.thumb.jpg.bd9e40bf70eb84c9f7631bd442918f10.jpgR1-04123-018A.thumb.jpg.5a6243aedec8ecb12198d1b9c5ce4269.jpg1672998768_RidingtheBall.thumb.jpg.afdee141b6e95db7333b705a28747ca3.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Maybe I should have hired this guy instead.

That's exactly what I've done in the past, when jumpers can't hit the drop zone.  If I was running the DZ, I was responsible for all the equipment (and sending the reports that jumpers were off the DZ.  Damned if I was ever losing a parachute because someone couldn't fly it - I'd go out the next day and get the parachutes back.  Set of tree spikes, harness belt, two straps (one set long and one set shorter), chainsaw on a 6' piece of one inch tubular nylon, hanging from the belt. Q-Tip the tree, until I was up to the parachute.  Get it out, let it fall, go get it, and turn it in damaged.  Better than not turning it in at all and writing it off on a Statement of Charges.  110ft Nisqually Pines are no joke, when you're up there - this guy in this vid is WAY higher than that; that's BALLS!  Worst was a jumper that hit TWO trees.  Had to go up one, Q-Tip it, clear the chute, come down.  Go up the OTHER tree, Q-Tip it, and finally free the chute from that one.  That sucked ass.

Edited by 98Z5V

I worked Manhattan as a window cleaner in my youth.  My whole family was in the business.  Dangerous work.  They thought my fear was funny,  well after avoiding the Wolf Packs as Merchant seamen,  D-Day,  Murmansk,  and Malta,  hanging out a window on the 65th floor was a joke.  Watching this video made my legs shake and my balls are somewhere near my belly button trying to get further in.  Damn,  heights always made me shaky.  Walked the pearling with the Iron Workers in NYC,  another wacky job.  It's a wonder I'm still here.  I'm glad the guy is safe and hope he gets another J O B.