• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

$hit that I do "in between" all the other projects at my place

Rsquared

So I go stumbling through the door of my local gun pusher.

WAIT......NO.....wrong story.  That's how I start the other type of stories.

So in between other major projects that I need to perform (read as finish) around my house, I had this little thing pop up. A couple years back, while working in my basement, I happen to be doing something (don't really remember what) around the area where my washer/dryer are located. For some reason (don't remember that either), I leaned against the dryer only to find that thing cooking. Yep, dryer off, but heater elements just working as if they were in a toaster oven. Apparently the heater contactor had fused itself together from extreme age (dryer was from the 70's). So, the dryer got $hit-canned, and I slid another one in it's place. So needless to say, I don't trust any kind of appliance that has any kind of heaters in them these days. Dryer, toaster, coffee maker....you name it. They don't stay powered up around here unless they're being used. So I kept telling myself that I need to put a small disconnect switch before the dryer receptacle, so that I wouldn't have to keep flipping the breaker on and off. After all, breakers aren't meant to be thrown consistently like that. They'll wear out just like any other switch. So.....like anything else.....I got right to it. AND never got around to installing that simple disconnect. So, flash forward by a mere 5+ (ish) years, and the one of the poles of the 2-pole breaker wore out. Hmm...didn't see that coming. :laffs:

So, I replaced the breaker not too long ago. And, you may ask, so did I install the aforementioned disconnect switch? Well of course not. After all, since I do commercial controls for a living, I couldn't just put a simple switch in line from my breaker panel to the dryer. That would be too fukin easy. I had to have something that would be simple to enegize. Would be durable. Oh, and since I'm kinda on the anal side, I had to have some kind of indicator to let me know if the power was on. Then I figured that I had to have another indicator to let me know if the "switch" was energized to the dryer. Then that turned into a whole other setup for the washer sitting right next to it. Sooooooo......it turned into this. Luckily, I had all (well most) of the things that I needed sitting around. Panel, wireduct, terminal blocks, power relays (contactors). I was really only missing the LED indicator lights. I usually only work with 24 volt, and I needed 120 volt lights.

WD-1.thumb.jpg.d32970df87f10263693e96755dcf9f6d.jpg

Panel interior.

WD-2.thumb.jpg.239a2c98020f9aae585459d3175a63c4.jpg

Exterior with all power off at breaker panel.

WD-3.thumb.jpg.27211882cbdcaa66e7034e84c7a132be.jpg

Power on at breaker panel. Internal circuits in the off position.

WD-4.thumb.jpg.0797ace628a277529b3bd6030d2e737d.jpg

Power on to panel. Off to internal circuits. Labeling applied.

WD-5.thumb.jpg.ecd2f95d40272b2512270f1946449fb1.jpg

Washer circuit energized.

WD-6.thumb.jpg.b3939338dc22b46cc7a30accfe3d8dc5.jpg

Washer and dryer circuits energized.

I've still got to draw the schematic so I can stick it in the panel, but she basically works just like a miniature commercial motor control center.

If nothing else. I know that Eric and Neil can appreciate something stupid like this.

Overkill you may ask? Yes!

Turbo anal? Definitely YES! :lmao:

Edited by Rsquared

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You had me at the unistrut and emt, the lights are just the chocolate fudge sundae.

Is it overkill?I say no, If I had any say in residential wiring code, things would be way different, I'll work on my on stuff( similar time frame as above :laffs:) but do not enjoy dealing with pre existing residential wiring

Okay, I don't know if you have the piece of paper that labels you as an "Engineer" but, if you don't, let me know. I can't help with the paper but I might be able to find a hat for you. They still won't let you drive the train but, you know, fukk'em. When I wired my house, the inspector asked, "Who did this?" I said, "I did." He said, "I thought so. Too neat for an electrician." Ain't it fun to be anal?

47 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

You had me at the unistrut and emt, the lights are just the chocolate fudge sundae.

I knew that you'd like that. And I agree. I HATE the way guys do residential electrical $hit. You can never "trust" the joker that was before you.

AND....I was tempted to run either greenfield or liquid-tight from the panel to the appliances. But I had to contain myself. :laffs:

Edited by Rsquared

24 minutes ago, Sharpshooter said:

Okay, I don't know if you have the piece of paper that labels you as an "Engineer" but, if you don't, let me know.

Actually, I do have my "first class operating engineer" license, for what that's worth. It usually just means that somebody passed a test though. God forbid you put a wrench or screwdriver in their hands though. A lot of those guys would be lost.

15 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

Yeah, yeah I know......silly but somewhat useful at times right? :laffs:

You're WAY more than that, brother.  :hail:

Oh, don't get me wrong - You ARE silly as fuk.  That's not even questioned.  I don't even know why you posed that as a question in the first place...  :lmao:

Unistrut,  kindorf 1 1/2" square.  I had an inspector rip me a new one on my first inspection job as a plumber.  Swore it would never happen again,  Methinks you might have had an experience like that.  I see everything squared off and done +1 with the mounting hardware.  Good job.  It's embarrassing when I see folks hang stuff with band iron and hope for the best,  or just  "good enough for gumment work."  If you put a picture frame around that box you could call it art work.

7 hours ago, Rsquared said:

AND....I was tempted to run either greenfield or liquid-tight from the panel to the appliances. But I had to contain myself. :laffs:

Had you used Class 1 Div 1 rated fittings 'cause that's what is laying around, there might be accusations of possible overkill :banana:

note- Class I locations are those in which flammable "gases or vapors" are, or may be, present in the air in quantities sufficient to produce explosive or ignitible mixtures

7 hours ago, 392heminut said:

So, did you obtain a permit for that schit? 😒:lmao:

You mean that you need permits? :laffs:

3 hours ago, DNP said:

So....can it be run from the bridge Scotty?

No, not yet. Though it would be a simple thing to do. But, the home automation controller that I'm currently using is quite old (almost 20 years). And the comm port that is used to access it's programming is roached at this point. So I can't change or alter any of it's programming. I'm considering changing it out to one of the styles like I use at work. But I'm just letting it limp along for now. Other projects take precedence over replacing that. That is, unless it goes tits up on me. Then the change will be mandatory. I can't go back to actually flipping light switches on or off throughout the house, or manually changing thermostat settings  after all of these years. That would be like living in the stone age again. :lmao:

3 hours ago, DNP said:

And seriously, not a single MGD in any of the photos. I have a hard time believing this was completed without hydration. 

34807858-6EB8-482E-8C1D-D6009098C70C.png

There was definitely hydration involved.

20 hours ago, Rsquared said:

I HATE the way guys do residential electrical $hit. You can never "trust" the joker that was before you.

100% truth, if some guy ever comes up to me and says “hey I’m the guy who finished your basement” I’m gonna kick him straight in the dick and tell him he’s an idiot 

2 hours ago, shepp said:

Leave it to a controls guy to over engineer the fornicate outta something so simple 😘😘

My experience it's usually the engineers that over engineer/over complicate stuff.  

2 hours ago, shepp said:

100% truth, if some guy ever comes up to me and says “hey I’m the guy who finished your basement” I’m gonna kick him straight in the dick and tell him he’s an idiot 

If he'd ' over engineered' ( aka properly wired) your basement then you wouldn't need to kick someone in the dick :popcorn:

5 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

If he'd ' over engineered' ( aka properly wired) your basement then you wouldn't need to kick someone in the dick :popcorn:

Edit*** If he would have done it correctly I wouldn’t have to kick him in the dick

9 hours ago, shepp said:

Leave it to a controls guy to over engineer the fornicate outta something so simple 😘😘

“Don’t complicate schit with complicated schit”. Comes to mind, but it is such a neat and tidy insulation I think we can waive that requirement.

I have a new tv show. It’s pay-per-view, so we’re bound to make a fortune. We get R2 to lay on a couch with a different therapist each time, and just let him go to town. We can have some side gambling going to bet on how fast the therapist quits.  

Can’t we just plug that fucker into a wall.....?  

6177F478-B37D-4739-A1AD-A45C1C08D24F.jpeg