• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

“What you watching”

shepp

3 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

C-130s are pretty versatile, pretty sure we can add a giant roof rack and strap the guys to the outside :popcorn:

That happened, back in the day.  It was called the Fulton Extraction System, or Fulton Recovery System.  Common names.  It was all CIA-ish, and they named it the "STARS system."  Surface-To-Air-Recovery-System System.  Redundancy intentional, coming to you from the Department Of Redundancy Department. 

Here's the rundown on it.  Use a C-130 to yank a guy off the ground, to get him out of Bad-Guy Zones. 

There wasn't a live extraction performed for years and years, but I was in a position to volunteer to be the first live dumbass to try this in 1995 - I was turned down...   :thefinger:  There was a pile of us that wanted to do this - we all lost the Air Force Special Operations Vote on that one, because they didn't want the liability...  

Edited by 98Z5V

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like they're trying to revive this.  From 3 years ago.  Now, it's a Cessna, not as violent, and not near as effective.  It's "RAES" now.  "Rapid Aerial Extraction System"  I'n not seeing the "rapid extraction" part of this test, though... 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSqHO5j_VGg

(And, YT "doesn't allow the embedding of that video..."  Fuqrs.  Click it.  It's pretty boring - it ain't no Fulton Recovery System...)

On 6/4/2023 at 11:28 PM, 98Z5V said:

I'd rather have a C-130 with @Rsquared flying it, but I'll say - that is one badass aircraft.  :hail:

EDIT - I wish Ron knew how to fly C-17s.  We'd be unstoppable.  C-130s get the job done quite well, though.  :thumbup:

Technically, staying within the original canon of the story. Planeflyer Jon was piloting the C-17. Doc had traded the 308AR C-130 for a broke dick, Krylon rattle canned C-17 and a microphone (bad Blues Brothers reference). I was just along for the ride like everybody else if I remember correctly.

It's been a while since I read (or re-read) any of those old 308AR storytime adventures that I used to spew out every now and again.

7 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Technically, staying within the original canon of the story. Planeflyer Jon was piloting the C-17. Doc had traded the 308AR C-130 for a broke dick, Krylon rattle canned C-17 and a microphone (bad Blues Brothers reference). I was just along for the ride like everybody else if I remember correctly.

It's been a while since I read (or re-read) any of those old 308AR storytime adventures that I used to spew out every now and again.

3 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

Those stories remind me of several members that I wish I had met in the desert before life moved them on to other things.

R2’s last one was kind of premonition, he talked about the Wisconsin contingent coming down. Looks like this year it’s going to happen!

On 6/5/2023 at 5:28 AM, shepp said:

This was at EAA in 2016 iirc I wish I coulda seen it, flying boats and float planes are some of my favorite aircraft

Keep an eye out for this one, still on the drawing board but...

C130-floats.jpg?quality=70&crop=16:9&aut

1631752793875-c130seaplane.jpg?auto=webp

Details- https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/42395/it-looks-like-a-c-130-seaplane-is-finally-happening

On 6/16/2023 at 8:03 PM, Black_Sheep said:

I just finished watching a YouTube documentary series called D-Day 24 Hours. There are 24 episodes, each about an hour long. If you’re interested in military history I would highly recommend watching it…

https://www.youtube.com/@D-Day24Hours-sm5pe

Just started watching( 2 hours in) very well done.

FUCKIN' BADASS!!!   What Crusty did for the bikes, Wes Miller and H-Bomb Films did for the quads.  Huevos 11 was the last one, and the best one overall.  Crusty created the "riding vids industry" - hands down.  What Wes Miller did for the quads was just as badass.

Hit this one at 1hr 3 minutes (1:03) and watch "Yard Sale."  Right after that is the best riding vid I've ever seen for race quads - the Bomb Shelter Compound.  It runs out the vid to the end.  Fuckin' badass riders.

For Dirk.  @DNP.  2.5 hrs to listen to, from the MikeDrop Podcast.  This is the vid version.

Met this man in Nov 2003, in Afghaniland.  He was already a US Army Chaplain at that time, and a Captain (rank), and the 2d RGR Bn Chaplain.  This is one bad motherfucker.  He was on the first valley that we were moving up through, out of 3 valleys that we moved up through, throughout that short deployment.

Jeff Struecker.

1hr 23:00 minutes.  Hit that mark.  Starts something.  John Macejunas (proper spelling).  I think I've mentioned him here before, yeah, know I have.  Mace.  He's Kryptonite.  Crazy story meeting him, but I've talked about it here before, in the past.