• Visit Sportsmans Guide

“What you watching”

shepp

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 4/23/2023 at 1:06 PM, 98Z5V said:

This will be great for @DNP's commute - this is almost 7 hours long.  I started it yesterday, and just finished it.  It's an unreal interview.

2 hours in today. Just got done with the first outing in Fallujah.  Good stuff so far. 

21 hours ago, Sisco said:

Just rewatched “Hamburger Hill” always thought that was the best of the Vietnam War movies. Didn’t pull any punches.

Read the book, brother.  It's better than the movie.  In that book, part way through, there's a young leader, 1LT Linwood Burney.  The other part of the book, they refer to him as CPT Burney.  Battlefield promotionm in the fight.

21 hours ago, DNP said:

I know a survivor of that one, at least that’s what I’ve been told. Guy came home pretty messed up. Didn’t talk for years. 

Linwood Burney lived, prospered, and went on to influence other Combat Leaders.  He was my Brigade Commander, 2nd Bde, 7th Infantry Division (Light) when I got there in 1989.  Led us into Panama in 1989 for a Christmas Vacation.  BAD MOTHERFUCKER.  Alot of guys called him Darth Vader.  He was hell on his Staff Officers, and he absolutely LOVED his NCOs.  I learned a lifetime of leadership information from that man, whilst working for him. 

Darth Vader himself. 

lin-pic-e1525559649428.jpg?w=1088

Good article on the man - but it can't possible come close to truly how much of a badass he was, in real life.  The most inspirational leader I ever encountered, and made the most impact on me moving foward.  I'm glad I had the chance to work for him, very early in my career. 

https://underthesun1845.wordpress.com/2018/05/05/non-participant-the-indirect-social-impact-of-colonel-linwood-burney/

3 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Now I gotta read it.

Get the book - do it.  I didn't know the man, until he was my Infantry Brigade Commander, in 1989.  Holy shiit, did I figure out he was a badass, instantaneously.   4 months later, we were in Panama, for the invasion. Only had 4 months in that unit, but we were ready after my first 2 months.  train like you fight, was his mentality, and we did.

I know I've told the story.  We landed at Tocumen.  The Rangers fucked that airport UP.  We landed safe.  We had to mmove shiit, and I hot-wired the baggage-train-tractor - whatever that this was.  I was a hero, for moving supplies.  That night. 

Another day later, we had to move some shiit  - I hotwired an ice cream truck, and got it moved.   After that, it was "hotwire that RPG-d CUCV.."   and I did.   And, I was the "HotWire Guy."  If they needed a rig, I could start it.

Well, Tocumen.  Noriega's Beach House.  That dude had dirtbikes, atv's, all kinds of shiit at that beach house,

We took it all.

He had Honda Pilots...  Honda Odesseys... 

FL350, 350cc 4-stroke...

Lot - 1985 Honda Odyssey FL350 ATV

FL-400, 400cc 2-stroke....   Yeah, baby...  :laffs:

One-Owner 1989 Honda Pilot FL400R for sale on BaT Auctions - sold for ...

Skip, the S4 officer, told me that if I could start that FL400, I could drive it anywere I wanted.  Well, fuk, it had a broken choke cable noodle, so the choke didn't work.  I figured that out quick, and fired it up!  Skip (Brigade S4 Captain)...  told me to rip that bitch down the airstrip!  And I did!

Whilst COL Burney was giving an interview to CNN...   and I'm hauling the MOST ASS that this thing can give me on a wide open rip down an airfield  - this is the ONLY chance I'm ever gonna get to do this in my life   = and Skip said do it...  :lmao:

Well, things turned south, sharply.  Fast.  We're now at Rio Hato Airfield, our second location.  "Noriega's Beach House..."    We landed at Tocumen International Airport, Invasion point, Tocumen, conduct Relief In Place (RIP) for Ranger Regiment at Rio Hato...  

.  So, two airfields, two days.  It's all a "runway" to me, and at the first one, all I got to do was hotwire shiit, to move shiit.  NOW...  I get to hotwire shiit to PLAY?!!?  I'm in.

Bad call  - should NOT have made that WO run during COL Burney's CNN interview.  Big mistake.  Didn't know that was going  on, but then again - that's WAY below my purview, and understanding of the current political landscape on which we're currently deployed... 

It's out there on the net somewhere, and it's a wild video, and COL Burney should have killed me and eaten me right there.  If I was an officer, he would have.  But he loved his NCOs...  Thank fucking God.

Somebody a long time ago revived that COL Burney CNN interview on the net.  And somewhere out there on the world wide web is an old video of a 7th ID Lightfighter, rippin ASS down an airfield in Panama.  Wide Fuckin' Open. 

CSM Irtenkoff was the 2/7 BDE CSM.  He was ready to kill me and eat me right there, on the spot   - you bet your ASS I was called in for that one.  I didn't even TRY to blame it is Skip - and that fucker set my immature ass up in the first place.

I didn't know what to do - I was told to "report to COL BURNEY!!!" and  I was skeered shiitless.

When I walked into his makeshift combat office, I "reported" for real.  He looked at me, and said "Aren't you my hot-wire guy?..."

I WALKED...   Zero trouble...   :banana:

Always have a skill, men  - that someone else needs...   :thumbup:  And cross your lucky stars...  

• 3 weeks later...

Roy Benavidez speech.  That's what I'm watching.  Wake up, America.  :bitchslap:

You have to click the link, because YouTube is a bitch about this video for some reason, and won't allow me to embed it.  Because they suck ass on this one, for some reason.  Whatever their reason is...   Here's to them, on this, for blocking an American Hero.  Suck this one, YouTube...   :thefinger:

This link is worth clicking. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvlAHUur5eg

• 2 weeks later...

This guy cracks me up.  He's got tons of stuff up.   :lmao:

https://www.tiktok.com/@whatnooowaaay/video/7233516223198252294?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc

One more, just to get you hooked...   :laffs::banana:

https://www.tiktok.com/@whatnooowaaay/video/7226771655551503621?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc

Edited by 98Z5V

1 hour ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

I'm guessing I wasn't the only one that went and checked out their jackstands...

I punch every new set I get.  I knew that trick, from a long time ago...      Now getting the stuck buckets apart with the airgun - THAT was new!  I now have more buckets!...  :laffs:

https://www.tiktok.com/@whatnooowaaay/video/7216818631672483078?is_from_webapp=1&sender_device=pc

Edited by 98Z5V

Think I'll amaze the wife by using the air nozzle on her big stack of stuck buckets this weekend - FFS!  Have to blow out the oak catkins and maple helicopter seeds gunking up the old Mustang convertible's drain reservoirs, so I'll have the pancake compressor out anyway.  Maybe TikTok has some redeeming informational aspects after all. (Still not ready to put it on my iPhone - I'm such a dinosaur!)

2 hours ago, MtnMike said:

Maybe TikTok has some redeeming informational aspects after all. (Still not ready to put it on my iPhone - I'm such a dinosaur!)

It is still a Chinese owned app, regardless of what shell organization it might run through.

https://apnews.com/article/tiktok-china-government-data-bytedance-23233034319c2e1f84c384e5e8dc489c

15 hours ago, Magwa said:

on Amazon Prime got a free month watched Reacher was epic now watching a western with Emily Blunt called The English is is awesome.....

Reacher is a badass series -fukkin' LOVED IT!  They say there will be more, and I hope so.  That is one giant bastard in that flick.  Fukin' monster.