• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Random Topic Thread

Armed Eye Doc

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Sisco said:

The sewer line from my holding tank to my mound system froze solid, which means I have to have my tanks pumped out until the ground thaws. 4 feet down under my driveway. Have to wait till Spring to fix permanently. 

That sucks schit, literally stuck having your schit sucked until thaw and that ain't no joke in your country!

On 2/25/2022 at 2:37 PM, Sisco said:

2000 gallon holding tank, so I have a little tinkle room

Any way you can put a propane blower heater under a tarp supported a couple feet above the holding tank and with the edges of the tarp anchored to the ground?

Like this one?  Flame King 60,000 BTU Portable Propane Gas Tank Forced Air Heater Outdoor Great for Jobsite,

61EIg3Uqo6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Edited by mrmackc

We call 'em Herman Nelsons here aka Frost Fighters

Frost-Fighter-IDF-500-LP-NG-ducts.jpg

The hoses can be added to and allows you to direct the heat. Right now we're using them to dry out nd also preheat the rebar in the forms. Monday's pour will take 28 trucks to give you an idea of the size.

Tool rental places carry them and they're pretty efficient. We run them at 265F output

12 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Would insulation help?

It got some red neck insulating last night. 

My well guy is awesome. Texted him at 8:30 and it was fixed before 11AM. I threw a trash can stuffed with insulation around the pump and 4gal pressure tank. Wrapped the pipes with some foam. It’s a good bandaid. 

1F2A99B0-870D-4A17-9C42-5D51B1903236.jpeg

9 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Any way you can put a propane blower heater under a tarp supported a couple feet above the holding tank and with the edges of the tarp anchored to the ground?

Like this one?  Flame King 60,000 BTU Portable Propane Gas Tank Forced Air Heater Outdoor Great for Jobsite,

61EIg3Uqo6L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Probably would work, but I have a good relationship with my excavator/honey dipper. Gave him my old wood boiler last year. We can get by until next summer when he will excavate the suspected area, check for a bow in the pipe, which we expect is the problem, then put some foam board insulation above the pipe run.

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

then put some foam board insulation above the pipe run.

How has your frost been this winter? We have had better than average temps but low soil moisture and lack of snow cover has let it get on the deep side, the heave on smaller slabs is worse than average, still enough moisture for that of course.

42 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

How has your frost been this winter? We have had better than average temps but low soil moisture and lack of snow cover has let it get on the deep side, the heave on smaller slabs is worse than average, still enough moisture for that of course.

Deep frost. Lots of snow, but it freezes up under the driveway, where the snow plow scrapes off the snow cover. And this has been a cold winter. Not much choice where we could put the pipe in order to locate the mound system on percoable soil. Last time it froze up was in 2013.

11 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

This rapid freeze thaw cycle were in now has asphalt all crumbled up.

Make sure to thank the federal government for their part. :thumbup:I think some of that is due to the nationwide implementation of a new asphalt system "super pave". It all sounded great but like anything you try to scale up you find issues. This new system just couldn't take into account all the local variables in climate, traffic, and materials. For decades engineers had tuned local mixes to get the best bang for their buck then we just started training all the new engineers to work the new system and demanded it's use by states to get back the road funds, all at once. Some places have recovered better than others but there is a pile of poor quality asphalt all over this country that isn't going to get near it's  projected lifespan. But yeah, the asphalt institute put a ton of data together that sure showed "superpave" to be the schit, even "greener" imagine that. I wonder what percentage of the asphalt industry Old Castle controls now, 7 years ago they owned all 5 asphalt companies allowed to bid our federal work in Iowa, saw the same in several areas around the country, some technical crap considers them separate companies for bidding but they all run the Old Castle logo somewhere, could be capturing an industry dealing with new standards across the board is a cheaper way of monopolizing?

Damn government can't fix potholes........:soap:

1 hour ago, jtallen83 said:

Make sure to thank the federal government for their part. :thumbup:I think some of that is due to the nationwide implementation of a new asphalt system "super pave". It all sounded great but like anything you try to scale up you find issues. This new system just couldn't take into account all the local variables in climate, traffic, and materials. For decades engineers had tuned local mixes to get the best bang for their buck then we just started training all the new engineers to work the new system and demanded it's use by states to get back the road funds, all at once. Some places have recovered better than others but there is a pile of poor quality asphalt all over this country that isn't going to get near it's  projected lifespan. But yeah, the asphalt institute put a ton of data together that sure showed "superpave" to be the schit, even "greener" imagine that. I wonder what percentage of the asphalt industry Old Castle controls now, 7 years ago they owned all 5 asphalt companies allowed to bid our federal work in Iowa, saw the same in several areas around the country, some technical crap considers them separate companies for bidding but they all run the Old Castle logo somewhere, could be capturing an industry dealing with new standards across the board is a cheaper way of monopolizing?

Damn government can't fix potholes........:soap:

It's always been a racket, concrete is best.

14 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

It's always been a racket, concrete is best.

Brother check the numbers on asphalt, the asphalt lobby is KING of civil construction. Concrete has higher profit margins and longer life when done right but overall we drive on asphalt, they have the BEST symposiums.............. and of course using oil doesn't hurt.

26 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Brother check the numbers on asphalt, the asphalt lobby is KING of civil construction. Concrete has higher profit margins and longer life when done right but overall we drive on asphalt, they have the BEST symposiums.............. and of course using oil doesn't hurt.

https://scitechdaily.com/more-durable-concrete-with-a-nano-engineered-sealer/

On 2/26/2022 at 12:41 AM, DNP said:

It got some red neck insulating last night. 

My well guy is awesome. Texted him at 8:30 and it was fixed before 11AM. I threw a trash can stuffed with insulation around the pump and 4gal pressure tank. Wrapped the pipes with some foam. It’s a good bandaid. 

1F2A99B0-870D-4A17-9C42-5D51B1903236.jpeg

Last year when we had a week of single digit (o-6 degrees F) i couldn't find any heat tape cords so I put 75 watt incandescent bulbs in trouble lights and tied it to the above a ground faucet (galvanized iron) and put a small plastic barrel over one and another trouble light and a plastic trash can over the other faucet (PVC) and kept the lights on 24/7 never had a freeze up.

This year I wrapped the faucets with heat tapes and also covered them with the plastic barrel and trash cans.

Edited by mrmackc

15 hours ago, Rsquared said:

And speaking of random topics.

Why is it that every dumbass mother-fuker acts like they've never seen an ATM before when it's their turn in line?

Just asking for a angry, bitter friend.

Or people that wait till the cashier is asking what will they have before looking at the menu on the wall to figure out what they want. One would think going into a place to buy coffee, burger, donair etc you'd pretty much know what you wanted as you entered.

22 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Last year when we had a week of single digit (o-6 degrees F) i couldn't find any heat tape cords so I put 75 watt incandescent bulbs in trouble lights and tied it to the above a ground faucet (galvanized iron) and put a small plastic barrel over one and another trouble light and a plastic trash can over the other faucet (PVC) and kept the lights on 24/7 never had a freeze up.

This year I wrapped the faucets with heat tapes and also covered them with the plastic barrel and trash cans.

Freeze proof sill cock's work here. https://www.homedepot.com/p/Woodford-1-2-in-x-3-4-in-Brass-Sweat-x-MPT-x-8-in-L-Freeze-Resistant-Anti-Siphon-Sillcock-17CP-8-MH/202527094

Edited by unforgiven

On 2/26/2022 at 9:52 PM, DNP said:

I need to build a doghouse over the pump and associated pipes.

This made me laugh - you remember that plywood and 2x4 doghouse that Anthony built, to cover that crazy-noisy generator that he had for his camper, when we went on dune trips?!   :laffs::lmao::banana: