• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

New from North Central Texas

Texas4Ever

Hello..  found this forum doing research on a new AR10 build.  Kinda new to ARs but I have a lot of experience with custom build cars and a few guns.  I have a pretty well equipped shop.  Started getting into these guns when my step-son joined the Army a few years ago and started talking about them.  Bought a PSA AR15 complete kit about a year or so ago just for kicks to see what all the hub-bub was about and it works good and I like the gun.  But it's just a .223.  Started looking at building an AR10 and by the time I wanted to pull the trigger and buy one, complete kits are non-existent anymore with the stuff going on in the world.

Anyways..  I was able to get a 5D Tactical 80% lower that is a DPMS Gen 1 style.  I have the lower parts kit and buffer tube kit also from them on the way.  I haven't decided on an upper package yet but it will be .308.  I also have decent optics from another gun I want to use on this one.  I am looking for input into the upper parts I should consider.  I'm not afraid to piece it together as long as the compatibility is good.  

Ohh..  Looking to use this gun on hogs and coyotes at a 100-250 yard range (or maybe further) at some point.  So barrel twist and length and even load data would be welcome.

23 minutes ago, Texas4Ever said:

I'm due west of FW far enough to be happy.  

I grew up in FW but am glad to be out of the city.  It is no longer the city where I grew up.  I have a brother who is south of Weatherford.  We have family land a couple of hours further west.

Not being from the city is great.

36 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

WELCOME from an old codger in Comanche county at Lake Proctor.  Know where that is?

This outfit in Abilene has a lot of LR308 parts.  cdnnsports.com , internet sales only.

I do know where that is.  I went thru there over Thanksgiving.  

I'll check out the link in Abilene.

36 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Edited by Texas4Ever

Thanks all for the warm welcome.  Since my original post a few days ago, I have spent many hours reading on this sight more and more about the rabbit hole I have started down.  I also understand that I used the term "AR10" in my original post and I now realize that is NOT what I am building.  I will blame the marketing industry on my ignorance...LOL.  The more I read, the better I am understanding the challenges of this project.  I am excited as it is clear this type of rifle isn't for the faint of heart (and I like that).  My original thought process was to stick my toe in the water with the easy AR15 kit just to get familiar with how these guns work.  Once I did that, I saw why that platform is so popular.  Right away I thought a similar design in a 30 caliber would be really cool.  My assumption at the time was it would be a similar project as I saw complete kits on the market.  Doesn't look like "complete kits" are going to be available anytime soon (or maybe ever again).

I plan on continuing to research and shop for individual parts as I find them available and make educated decisions on components to make sure my final product runs and shoots as I expect.  Will likely work on getting the complete lower done for now then make a final decision on the upper package at some point in the future.  I'll probably just lurk here for now until I have more specific questions.  Thanks again for not making fun of my ignorance.  🤪

The first step to correcting ignorance is to realize that you don't know, which have done.  Many people come here with a problem that has been discussed and solved many times.  They swear that their local gunsmith or friend that builds ARs knows what he is talking about even though they can't fix the problem.  They refuse to learn.  Thank you for taking the opportunity to correct your ignorance the easy way.

Stick around and join the conversation.  Most of us don't bite, unless you're into that sort of thing. 😄

2 hours ago, Texas4Ever said:

Thanks all for the warm welcome.  Since my original post a few days ago, I have spent many hours reading on this sight more and more about the rabbit hole I have started down.  I also understand that I used the term "AR10" in my original post and I now realize that is NOT what I am building.  I will blame the marketing industry on my ignorance...LOL.  The more I read, the better I am understanding the challenges of this project.  I am excited as it is clear this type of rifle isn't for the faint of heart (and I like that).  My original thought process was to stick my toe in the water with the easy AR15 kit just to get familiar with how these guns work.  Once I did that, I saw why that platform is so popular.  Right away I thought a similar design in a 30 caliber would be really cool.  My assumption at the time was it would be a similar project as I saw complete kits on the market.  Doesn't look like "complete kits" are going to be available anytime soon (or maybe ever again).

I plan on continuing to research and shop for individual parts as I find them available and make educated decisions on components to make sure my final product runs and shoots as I expect.  Will likely work on getting the complete lower done for now then make a final decision on the upper package at some point in the future.  I'll probably just lurk here for now until I have more specific questions.  Thanks again for not making fun of my ignorance.  🤪

Did you check out that vendor in Abilene?

I got several email messages from them, they are having a lot of Ar15 and LR308 parts on sale.

2 hours ago, mrmackc said:

Did you check out that vendor in Abilene?

I got several email messages from them, they are having a lot of Ar15 and LR308 parts on sale.

Not yet.  I'm holding off buying any more parts until I have a better understanding of what I need.  Unless you see something you KNOW I am going to need and suggest I buy before it becomes unavailable?

The first thing you have to think about when buying parts for 308ars is they arent standardized like ar15s. So where when building an ar15 it is a lot easier to mix and match parts from different brands, this can be problematic with 308ars.

We like to tell people new to the platform to try and have upper receiver and lower receivers from the same company so you can get them to align correctly. 

Many people have successfully matched receivers from different brands, but it isn’t a given that they will match. 

Other parts you should be ok with mix and matching with occasionally some minor modifications. first time I had to use a dremel tool on a $60 part, I was nervous was hell and still get nervously. But the small modification made the part work perfectly when it wouldn’t have before and I didn’t waste $60.

Just have to make sure you have the right parts to make the rifle function, which you can always make sure you have the correct help with here. 

While 308ars are a little more finicky than their smaller counterparts, they don’t have to be difficult to build and littered with issues, if you do research and ask questions when you can’t find the answers yourself in past posts.

8 hours ago, Texas4Ever said:

Not yet.  I'm holding off buying any more parts until I have a better understanding of what I need.  Unless you see something you KNOW I am going to need and suggest I buy before it becomes unavailable?

I had a gunsmith business for 20 years before the Clinton administration, when I returned my FFL

I never thought much of the AR15 (M16)  I liked the M1 and M14 better being an old school USMC regimental shooting team member before Nam.  after I got out of the Corps I taught marksmanship at a local NRA rifle and pistol club and to a NRA sanctioned 4H shooting club, then around early 2014 I started reading and watching the black rifle guys and decided to give it a try, first off I bought a new factory DPMS LR308, got into the learning mode again and started coming here at 308AR forum, and kind of reverse engineered the LR308, disassembled it completely and learned how it functioned reassembled it and found how it worked. Now I am not afraid to do a little tuning, modifying, and making it shoot like I want it to, and began to do a build from parts, I still keep all the parts from the same make and model. I learned a lot from these real gurus,  here, and am still learning.