• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What Does Your .308 Weigh?

Black_Sheep

This morning I dug the .308 out of the safe to stake the castle nut now that it’s working like it should. Before putting it back, I weighed myself holding the gun then set it down and weighed myself again. The difference was 10.3 pounds, hefty but not horrible. What do your .308’s weigh? Please provide the basic configuration as well...

Aero M5 carbine, 13.5” handguard, 16” barrel, 1x8 LPVO / 10.3 pounds with no mag or ammo

Edited by Black_Sheep

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, Black_Sheep said:

This morning I dug the .308 out of the safe to stake the castle nut now that it’s working like it should. Before putting it back, I weighed myself holding the gun then set it down and weighed myself again. The difference was 10.3 pounds, hefty but not horrible. What do your .308’s weigh? Please provide the basic configuration as well...

Aero M5 carbine, 13.5” handguard, 16” barrel, 1x8 LPVO / 10.3 pounds with no mag or ammo

Not particularly light, lol. My Armalite tank weighs in at 14.1 lb

20210417_164414.jpg

Edited by Lonewolf McQuade

5 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

😝

4 extra inches of stainless bull barrel and aluminum forend adds up. Plus your scope is three times bigger then my 1x6. Actually down sized my scope for that reason. I also went with the lightest scope mount I could. I went with the Luth MBA 1 stock for the same reason.

26 minutes ago, Sisco said:

4 extra inches of stainless bull barrel and aluminum forend adds up. Plus your scope is three times bigger then my 1x6. Actually down sized my scope for that reason. I also went with the lightest scope mount I could. I went with the Luth MBA 1 stock for the same reason.

Definitely all adds up! Fortunately,   I'm used to carrying around an extra 4" more than most, been doing it my whole life.

Most of the use of the rifle will be from a Deadshot Chairpod (groundhogs), bipod on the ground & bench. If SHTF & I had to be mobile, I'd probably be grabbing the lighter & more maneuverable Tavor T7 or 5.56. Although,  the AR10T would be very mobile if I were to rig it up on @Belt Fed's Hoveround 😁

Too dam much!

Bushmaster BAR10 20" HBAR A2 configuration-non-removable carry handle with Bushnell 5-15X Legend scope. 13.5 lbs

Don't remember the PSA 16" with Faxon bbl with Vortex 1-8 Strike Eagle scope. Seems like 11 something lbs but don't remember rt now.

On 4/17/2021 at 12:49 PM, Black_Sheep said:

2 hours ago, Lonewolf McQuade said:

😂 I think you are correct

I should know what mine weighs, (1356#) but I don't know what the buoyancy factor is,since It was bolted to my bass tracker 17' bass boat with a 48 HP Johnson motor and it sunk in 205' of water, with 4 life jackets under the big seat Maybe someone can figure it out?

3 hours ago, Rsquared said:

I'm  not sure what any of mine weigh. I'll have to pull a couple of them out to check at some point. But they range from a 12" SBR to the 20" SASS. So I'm sure they'll run the gamut in weight.

Same here, but I'll weigh them and post up.   There's 5 or 6 in .308 Win, anywhere from 12.5" to 18.5".  There's 5 - unless I'm forgetting one.  12.5", 13.5", 16", 18" and 18.5".  Then a 16" .338 Fed gun, 20" .260 Rem gun, 16" .358 Win gun.  I'll try to get weights on them. 

Keep in mind - a 20-rd PMag loaded with .308 Win ammo weighs 2lbs...   ...For all those that are listing weights, unloaded, no mag.  :thumbup: