• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

Thanks guys.I tried different ways of doing it. Started 175* for a few hours then bumped it up to hurry the time but I wound up burning the ends and overcooking the ribs. Now it's 175* looking for the shrinkage on the bones and flex on the meat for done. Sauce is added last 1/2 hr. Summers over and it's only my 3rd time doing ribs. ☹️

Edited by unforgiven
No coffee

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

24 minutes ago, shepp said:

I wasn’t knocking it. 98 did some shoulders and something else in 17’ for the fall shoot. 

that was good shits! I would have ate more but it disappeared! you and dnp made good food as well as the others.. its not a fat camp to loose weight? no you put down some beers and great food and then burn it off with lead and shenanigans!! and fuckin repeat until asked to leave......  or work and reality calls your number! I had more lead to burn!! damn you work! 

2 hours ago, shepp said:

Maybe you should dig a hole and burry them to cook apparently that’s the only right way to cook things

It's not science, just time and heat.  And you can't adjust it.

1 hour ago, DNP said:

We’ve done some good stuff in the ground. Do t knock it till you e tried it with us. Maybe this shoot. Turkey and ribs?

I'm in - that's where we've done a Turkey, a 10lb pork butt, and 2 BIG racks of ribs before - in the same fire.  Damn that was a HUGE FIRE the night before.

46 minutes ago, shepp said:

I wasn’t knocking it. 98 did some shoulders and something else in 17’ for the fall shoot. 

Butts.   I hate the smell of shoulders - they just smell like shiit, literally, and there's a HUGE fat layer over them. 

We'll need a big, hot fire the night before, need to stay up late and keep stoking it with wood once it gets hot - need ALOT of red coals in the morning, when we bury this pile of meat. 

What @DNP isn't telling you @shepp - he does this every year at his church - and they have  HUGE LONG firepit for this.  Turkeys.  Wrapped in wetted muslin and burlap.  He's been doing this longer than anyone I know - and he's pretty damn great at it.   :thumbup::hail:

In MY early "duning days" with him, this was the normal for Thanksgiving - that's just what we did every year.  I got courageous and wanted to put other meat in the ground during T-Day, and started with ribs, to accompany the turkey. The next year, I progressed to pork butts, and another foiled packet of potatoes, carrots and onions, and butter/garlic/salt.  It just got better every year.

Then, portable smokers came out...   :laffs:

Just now, shepp said:

You know butts and shoulders are the same thing right? 

Maybe - without all that shiit-smellin' fat on them.  This is irony, at it's finest.  I can unpackage a Butt, no issues. Unpackage a Shoulder, and it smells like pig shiit?!  Was that pig backwards, or something?...   :lmao:

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Maybe - without all that shiit-smellin' fat on them.  This is irony, at it's finest.  I can unpackage a Butt, no issues. Unpackage a Shoulder, and it smells like pig shiit?!  Was that pig backwards, or something?...   :lmao:

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/pork-recipes/pork-cuts-explained

36 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

What @DNP isn't telling you @shepp - he does this every year at his church - and they have  HUGE LONG firepit for this.  Turkeys.  Wrapped in wetted muslin and burlap.  He's been doing this longer than anyone I know - and he's pretty damn great at it.   :thumbup::hail:

I was more poking fun at your macho testosterone fueled rant the other day about “digital shit” and not being about to have the skill to cook with fire, or in a pit.......👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Edited by shepp

1 minute ago, shepp said:

I was more poking fun at your macho testosterone fueled rant the other day about “digital poop” and not being about to have the skill to cook with fire, or in a pit.......👍🏼👍🏼👍🏼

Fucker...   When your batteris fail and your wireless network is down - and isn't coming back - come down here and we bury shiit in the ground...   and eat like kings...  :laffs:

4 minutes ago, shepp said:

1383111271_POrkButtandShoulder.png.c4948cc61ff12d2e492d25ccb2da379c.png

Different cuts?...

1 minute ago, 98Z5V said:

Fucker...   When your batteris fail and your wireless network is down - and isn't coming back - come down here and we bury shiit in the ground...   and eat like kings...  :laffs:

I’ve cooked on wood, propane heaters, truck exhaust manifolds and hot rocks I’ll be ok 😘😘

4 minutes ago, shepp said:

I’ve cooked on wood, propane heaters, truck exhaust manifolds and hot rocks I’ll be ok 😘😘

Jeep burritos on INTAKE manifolds is the sheeit, when you're wheelin'.  There's no way to cook on an exhaust manifold... You'll blow it out and burn it. 

1 minute ago, shepp said:

Butchers up here don’t call that lower cut a shoulder, it’s usually got a shank in it and I’ve always seen called a picnic ham

Hey, not my fault that your butchers up there don't know that there's a difference...    :banana:  I'm glad that I could enlighten you that...   it's two different cuts, and one smells like shiit...  :laffs:

9 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

1383111271_POrkButtandShoulder.png.c4948cc61ff12d2e492d25ccb2da379c.png

Different cuts?...