imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Thank you Sir, wife says shoulder so figured butts would be the answer, I don't dare say anything negative about big butts in front of her. :laffs:

Ha Ha     JT  ive done butts/ shoulders and have never tasted any difference....Hell you are gonna pull chop it up anyhow......make sure you get ones with decent fat caps on the smaller ones... my thinkin is 3 that are 9 pounds apiece.......bone in for sure   :thumbup:     Wash

7 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Get a spray bottle and Spritz the meat to create the bark on the outside.

41 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Water or should I put something else in it? I have not had the best luck getting a good bark in the past, always a good looking smoke ring but the bark was never as hearty as I like.

Wash and I haven’t been spraying or wrapping ours at all and getting killer back. I wouldn’t do either. When I get home I’ll look at my note book on my last one 

44 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Water or should I put something else in it? I have not had the best luck getting a good bark in the past, always a good looking smoke ring but the bark was never as hearty as I like.

I don’t spritz, what I do is a light rub of olive oil on the meat followed by a heavy coating of good rub. With that, a good bark forms fine.

On 8/21/2019 at 2:36 PM, washguy said:

JT the only advice I would give would be to get 3 or 4 smaller butts bone in to smoke rather than 2 giant butts.....they cook up faster and you will have a better handle on it........as for the month in a freezer.....yikes...I remember Shepp did some butts and froze em I think?  He would know the answer on the freezing............ also there is wastage like the bone and the weird grey meat that you run into next to bone.....nasty !   :thumbup:   Wash

Yea I do a couple 7-7.5 pound butts what I don’t eat I vac seal, 1-2 # per bag and freeeze 

43 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I have enough Dillo dust to get at least one rubbed. 10 MBT's and never got another one 😞

Also, if you are not getting a good bark, it might be that your not generating enough smoke to sufficiently penetrate and coat the meat. You want a rich, full smoke for at least a couple of hours to form that bark. Depending on your system, soaking the wood in water before you add it for smoke can help. Don’t use old moist wood, as that may contain fungus spores. And throw away what you don’t use. Or cut oxygen a bit and extend cooking/smoking time to compensate. Most good books or websites on smoking meats have suggestions on this.

Edited by Sisco

F64374B6-E1E6-4E96-A618-5D99EDF00028.thumb.jpeg.58394c38358eaf7bc3dcc5dc9e265f73.jpeg

Only reason I start at 200 is I get better smoke outta my grill at that temp

6D356573-EF9D-41A9-A7BE-975A48450A24.thumb.jpeg.29ea9d93ca9c2733337da6576ef9f43e.jpeg

I use a combo of these rubs 2:1 secret weapon to dominator and then a much smaller amount of death dust 

As for bark, To much moisture in your box can cause soft soggy rub too, that’s why I quit spritzing. Also not enough salt in your rub. 

Edited by shepp

5 minutes ago, shepp said:

As for bark, To much moisture in your box can cause soft soggy rub too, that’s why I quit spritzing. Also not enough salt in your rub. 

Bet that’s why the old man never gets a bark at all, he keeps a pan of water in the bottom just above his chip tray. I don’t have any issues holding moisture, keeping airflow down is usually my battle. 

Hope to try one on Sunday, then  report back for more advice if needed :thumbup:

2 hours ago, washguy said:

If you use those Rubs that Shepp shows in his post and keep the spritzer away you will have a nice bark    the butt should look like a  meateor  ....<<<<<.lol    :banana:     Wash

Yup!!!! Meatiers lol 

oh I also cross score the fat cap too but not to deep 

DC8F9A5F-F72C-43EC-8A2C-CAD366E9631B.jpeg

AB391894-6BC6-409C-9BF3-6F7D5FD2C790.jpeg

Edited by shepp

I score the cap well into the meat. Cut a 1 inch grid and they break of nice into the pulled pork. The dominator and secret weapon mix is the schitt. You guys have given me a golden recipe that works right every time. Zero complaints from anyone. Well, the wife did bitch about the saltiness one of the times I brined. I like it better brined. 

22 minutes ago, DNP said:

I score the cap well into the meat. Cut a 1 inch grid and they break of nice into the pulled pork. The dominator and secret weapon mix is the schitt. You guys have given me a golden recipe that works right every time. Zero complaints from anyone. Well, the wife did bitch about the saltiness one of the times I brined. I like it better brined. 

She's gonna cap you one of these days for comments like that.  I've know you guys for 15 years-ish now?   You better check under your pillow for that bamboo cutting board when you go so sleep, brother. Know where your ladders and step ladders are - check to see if they "came into the bedroom" for some reason - as well as any bowling balls she "seems interested in" lately..."  I'm just sayin...     I know this from experience...   :laffs:

You see a ladder in the bedroom, better ask what she had to get up there to paint...  :thumbup::lmao:

She ain’t killing me til that house is built. I’ve got a few years before I gotta worry. 

And I’m not running life insurance until that house is paid for. Just in case. She needs my paycheck. 

Edited by DNP