Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Fukin amazing brother 👍

12 hours ago, Sisco said:

+1

Thank you gentlemen! 

11 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I need to come visit you this summer just to learn to smoke stuff! Would visit Neal but I have spent to much of my life in Rock county and I hate that place. Lol

Who says I want you to come here and learn 😬

Just now, Sisco said:

:laffs:

6 hours in

IMG_20210221_115353666.jpg

Looks amazing Al. Meat prep is the biggest thing I need to learn. I am used to just throwing on some seasoning or at the very most using an actual rub. I never really do anything more than that.

wife is currently out getting some pork butts and other stuff that are on sale locally for 93 cents a pound. And thawing out a venison neck roast to use in the next couple of days. I am in love with smoking now

3 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

3351DD81-4FE3-4823-A52C-350E450DCE1A.thumb.jpeg.157b6ba6107e9e4f6f4725cc432f02ea.jpeg

also got 20 pounds of pork roast and 4 chickens. 

That Pork roast is a good place to start. Make a slather of Worcestershire sauce, a little fresh minced garlic, a commercial rub and a little olive oil. rub it down and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator before putting it on the smoker.

1 minute ago, Sisco said:

That Pork roast is a good place to start. Make a slather of Worcestershire sauce, a little fresh minced garlic, a commercial rub and a little olive oil. rub it down and let it sit overnight in the refrigerator before putting it on the smoker.

Haha posted the answer right as I was asking the question

If your Pork Shoulder has a fair amount of fat, brining is less important. Brining for chicken and leaner cuts replaces the relative lack of fat in keeping the meat moist. Generally try to get over 260F for half an hour to kill any potential bacteria, then throttle it back to 210F. If you like a drier crustier bark leave it on the rack like it is. If you want moist fall off the bone wrap it in aluminum foil after 5 to 6 hours. cooking time is generally 10 hours, more if you want and have it wrapped. A temperature probe will let you know exactly. I tend to wrap and cook longer to get fall off the bone.

14 minutes ago, Sisco said:

If you want moist fall off the bone wrap it in aluminum foil after 5 to 6 hours. cooking time is generally 10 hours, more if you want and have it wrapped.

6 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

@Sisco so even with it completely wrapped in aluminum foil it will still get the smoky flavor just fine? 

You will get plenty of smoke flavor in the first 5-6 hours.

4 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Looks amazing Al. Meat prep is the biggest thing I need to learn. I am used to just throwing on some seasoning or at the very most using an actual rub. I never really do anything more than that.

wife is currently out getting some pork butts and other stuff that are on sale locally for 93 cents a pound. And thawing out a venison neck roast to use in the next couple of days. I am in love with smoking now

https://amazingribs.com/information-about-our-pitmaster-club

start reading, between him and wash I learned most everything. wash and I actually went back to meatheads way of doing butts awhile ago with no wrap, I feel you get a better bark. 

he should have recipes for rubs in there too, if you have an extra 20$ his book is great and a lot easier to use than the web site 

https://www.amazon.com/Meathead-Science-Great-Barbecue-Grilling/dp/054401846X/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=amazing+ribs+cookbook&qid=1613955940&sprefix=amazing+ri&sr=8-3

Edited by shepp