• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

Mrmac      check this smoker out from cabellas   349 with cover dont know anything bout it...sez its digital and thats what ya want..might as well go first class and get a green mountain.....6 years and well over 2000/3000 pounds of pellets gone thru it....yeah some parts wore out but ive never had to pay for a part up to this day ...customer service first class ! Daniel Boone  is the ticket this one gets up to 500 degrees to sear and cook steaks too

http://www.cabelas.com/product/PIT-BOSS-DELUXE-W-COVER/2350725.uts?searchPath=%2Fbrowse.cmd%3FcategoryId%3D734095080%26CQ_search%3Dpit%2Bboss%2Bpellet%2Bsmoker%26CQ_st%3Db

Wash

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mrmac      here ya go   http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Green-Mountain-Grills/category/cat130401

this will give you a basis for shopping....you do want to buy the cold weather blanket..prolly have to get it from green mountain...its made out of thick welders blanket that is custom fitted for the smoker...you use less pellets cause it stays hotter inside the smoker...I even use it in the summer cause it cuts down on pellet use...and i can smoke on below freezing days     just a thought       Wash

here it is   http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/sportsmans/Green-Mountain-Grills-Thermal-Blanket-Insulated-Grill-Blanket/productDetail/Green-Mountain-Grills/prod99999036926/cat130401

Edited by washguy

My first impression is it looks cheaply made, the stand looks like it would buckle under the load of a good brisket. That's just my thought. Think if I get another it'll be a green mountain. I use a master built and at times I wish I had something more like the GM

• 2 months later...

I make a loaf of sourdough pretty much every weekend. Buddy brought back the starter for it from Bahrain a few years back. I have kept it going for almost two years myself, supposedly the starter has been going  a thousand years but not sure how that could be proven. The stuff can be addictive! Yours looks pretty good, I have started using a loaf pan just for ease of storage and use but you don't get as much of the crispy crust that way.

2 hours ago, Sisco said:

Not really grilling, but I am learning to make sourdough bread for the first time. This is my second loaf.

16797041_1395175670512688_2652238382908227054_o.jpg

Good job there Sisco!

I was experimenting with making my own starter a few years ago.  Following the instructions of someone living in a cool climate wasn't conducive to summer in Arizona.

9 minutes ago, planeflyer21 said:

Good job there Sisco!

I was experimenting with making my own starter a few years ago.  Following the instructions of someone living in a cool climate wasn't conducive to summer in Arizona.

Stuff is addicting. Used brushed on egg whites to get a really crispy crust, and have the outside lightly covered with kosher salt. All you need is a little butter. If the loaf lasts past noon tomorrow I will be surprised. Got a little starter from my shooting buddy, then I fed and nurtured it until I had enough for a loaf. Going to build up my starter for the next couple of days.

Edited by Sisco

52 minutes ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

It was a little melty, but scooped up well with some tortilla chips.

We used some on hamburgers a couple of days later.

They say you gotta keep it below 90 I've had it get up to 109 but it was starting to melt, you can keep it cook but placing a tray of ice below it

27 minutes ago, shepp said:

They say you gotta keep it below 90 I've had it get up to 109 but it was starting to melt, you can keep it cook but placing a tray of ice below it

How about using a smoke daddy for cold smoking cheese?

A friend where we used to live gave us some smoked cheese and Bologna he  "cold smoked"

22 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

How about using a smoke daddy for cold smoking cheese?

A friend where we used to live gave us some smoked cheese and Bologna he  "cold smoked"

Yup that's what I use still have to have lower outside temps but I've done it when it's like 55-60 out can allways use the ice pan too cool the box down

7 hours ago, planeflyer21 said:

Good job there Sisco!

If you want a bit of tough old starter from Bahrain just PM me. I can let mine sit in the fridge for 2 weeks and it will still crank out a great loaf. I feed it a half cup of flour every two weeks while sitting in the fridge not getting used.

• 4 weeks later...

Made barbacoa tacos last night/tonight with smoked a chuck roast. Rubbed it in salt and pepper smoked with pecan at 225-250 till 200* rested and pulled. then mixed with a sauce made from chilis, onion, garlic and beef broth. Put it in the crock pot to warm after work tonight then topped with onion, jalapeño, avocado and my home made salsa verde and a twist of lime 

IMG_6084.JPG

IMG_6088.JPG

IMG_6089.JPG

Edited by shepp

Just now, DNP said:

Smoked a corned beef brisket point that I didn't get to make yesterday. I really need to pick up a slicer. That's next on my list of things I shouldn't spend money on but I'm gonna buy anyways. 

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a cheapy, I got one as a present and it was junk. But they are nice to have for things like that, making lunch meat and beef jerky too

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic