• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

I belong to a gun club, I load like a geek, and I zero at 200 meters.  But I have an AR in 308 like I might be illiterate white trash.

Could a 6mmBR Tubb2000 bolt gun guy get a tighter group?  Sure.  But he's compulsive, obsessive, and possibly unsure about his sexual orientation.

But I have an AR in a caliber that counts.  All my poop is Flat Dark Earth.  

I really really really enjoy being somewhat UNSETTLING to the bolt gun geeks.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Shot this nice group @ 100 yards yesterday at DeSoto Gun Club using my rucksack as a rest.  Fully prepped Lake City NATO Brass, Hornady AMAX 168gr pill, 41gr Alliant AR Comp, COAL 2.8300".  FWIW, both my DPMS Gen2 Recon and my brother-in-law's SIG 716 have 16" barrels in 10 twist that really seem to do best with those 168 to 175-ish grain range bullets.  We shot Honady 150 gr FMJ all day long messing around with clay pigeons on the berm, but when we really want to put down a group, we whip out our magic box of 168gr AMAX's.  

IMG_0015.JPG

Edited by Crankbait

Warning, RANT.  There are SO many guys out there who waste their entire range day screwing around with cheap scopes that won't hold a zero, they drift from zero after 20 rounds, or they won't zero to begin with.  Frustration and disappointment - not fun to experience or watch.

And IMHO, if you hunt, wounding an animal inhumanely because you topped off a Ranier Arms Shilen match barrel with a $250 piece of crap glass is avoidable.  

Yes, with an AR-15, you can get by with a $150 red dot from Primary Arms.

Please, I beg of you, if you go down the .308 road, budget at least $750 for the quality of scope that will allow you to take full advantage of the ballistic capabilities of your platform, that has the internal build quality to take the recoil, and that will be actually pleasant to look through.

In the $750 range there are some great options from Vortex and Leupold.  Just do it, and don't be a female cat about it either.  It's a .308 for Christ's sake.

Rant over.

1 hour ago, Crankbait said:

Shot this nice group @ 100 yards yesterday at DeSoto Gun Club using my rucksack as a rest.  Fully prepped Lake City NATO Brass, Hornady AMAX 168gr pill, 41gr Alliant AR Comp, COAL 2.8300".  FWIW, both my DPMS Gen2 Recon and my brother-in-law's SIG 716 have 16" barrels in 10 twist that really seem to do best with those 168 to 175-ish grain range bullets.  We shot Honady 150 gr FMJ all day long messing around with clay pigeons on the berm, but when we really want to put down a group, we whip out our magic box of 168gr AMAX's.  

IMG_0015.JPG

37 minutes ago, Crankbait said:

Warning, RANT.  There are SO many guys out there who waste their entire range day screwing around with cheap scopes that won't hold a zero, they drift from zero after 20 rounds, or they won't zero to begin with.  Frustration and disappointment - not fun to experience or watch.

And IMHO, if you hunt, wounding an animal inhumanely because you topped off a Ranier Arms Shilen match barrel with a $250 piece of crap glass is avoidable.  

Please, I beg of you, if you go down the .308 road, budget at least $750 for the quality of scope that will allow you to take full advantage of the ballistic capabilities of your platform, that has the internal build quality to take the recoil, and that will be actually pleasant to look through.

In the $750 range there are some great options from Vortex and Leupold.  Just do it, and don't be a female cat about it either.  It's a .308 for Christ's sake.

Rant over.

Please start a post or post some where more topic suitable area 

10 hours ago, Crankbait said:

Rant over.

Daaamn straight !!!  the glass should cost more than the rifle!!!         Hell yes    lol        Wash

21 hours ago, Crankbait said:

Rant over.

Well im not sure its always true depending on what company you buy from. I have a Nikon laser IRT 2.5-10x40 scope with BDC to 600 yards for .223 55gr bullets. I beleive this scope retail over $800 new. I paid $579 plus shipping new. Scope has extremely clear glass, eye relief is awesome, turrets can be zero back after making adjustements without losing you zero and it has a built-in laser range finder which i found to be very accurate. Only off by a yard or two when ranging targets. Well the mount sucks by far. Hardware broke after 3 months. No big deal. Nikon sent new ones. I used different. Hardware cause just didnt look strong enough. Well the real problem came after 2 years of use. My zero wont stay. Im off on elevation almost everytime i take it out to shoot. Use the exact same ammo each time. Even use half a box , then started with same box of ammo. Called Nikon. Not covered under the warranty. They want to charge me like between $250 to $500 for repairs if it even fixable. Checked everything. Mounting system is good. Tried storing it differently. No difference. 

Shot my neighbors primaryarms scope. Awesome scope for the money.Grouping 3 to 4 inches first time shooting it at 300 yards. Its been on his gun for 2years with over 600 rounds thru his 308. Was less then half of what i spent

On 9/16/2016 at 6:50 AM, Crankbait said:

Warning, RANT... 

I'm rollin' a Primary Arms red dot on a 45-70, initially just for a joke.  After several of them on AR15s, I put one on my Ruger GSR, that kicked like a fukking mule from that 16" barrel, and it's still there, after 1k rounds.  I wanted to see how long it would take to kill that red dot on the 45-70.  After a little over 350 rounds of handloaded 405gr projectiles with 50.0 grains of IMR 3031 - which DOES kick like a mule - it's still there, fully functional.

Now, after what you've said, which seems like an insult to all Primary Arms optics...  How many of them do you own, and how many of them have failed on you?... 

Here's the one that's still alive on the GSR:

P1020484_zpskugk5icn.jpg

Here's the one that is STILL alive on the 45-70...

P1020998_zpsulrqqfjj.jpg

Edited by 98Z5V

The lack of brand snobs here may be a disappointment to some, but by and large most of us believe in 'do what works' first, and 'buy-once-cry-once' second. Nothing wrong with quality gear that comes with a big price tag, but you ultimately can't argue with whatever proves suitable to the role you personally need your gear to fulfill.

Don't complicate shit with complicated shit.

"Now, after what you've said, which seems like an insult to all Primary Arms optics...  How many of them do you own, and how many of them have failed on you?..."

I own two Primary Arms MD-FGB Red Dot sights.  One on a Glock 41 (45ACP long slide) failed miserably due to the shock load (according to PA's post-mortem) and one on a Ruger 10-22 works just peachy.  I do understand that their magnified scopes do have a following and appear to be a value.  I run Leupold VX-6's on my personal 556 (1-6x) and 308 (3-12x) AR's.  I also have seen happy Vortex owners at my Gun Club.

Edited by Crankbait

My first rifle was an ak clone wasr 10. With surprisingly decent accuracy (2moa@100yds) I got the bug and fearing the horror stories of my crazy Vietnam vet neighbor (lord rest his warrior soul) I stuck with kalishnakov pattern and picked up a psl 54c in 7.62x54. I was happily able, with effort and patience, to squeeze out 1 MOA YAY!!!!!  Got tired of fighting to get that over the years, and a new ex military buddy of mine sat me down and extolled the history improvement and accuracy of the AR platform.  I have little issue with taking the word of a Marine out of the sand wars. Sand was the ar's worst enemy and his served him faithfully. But the 7.62x54 was an awesome round and if I wanted that kinda punch it was to be .308 or 30.06

I'm starting with a .308 dpms platform kit from moriarti arms and after that the Noreen 30.06. Rifle 

There's no replacement for displacement man.

58 minutes ago, Morgwar said:

My first rifle was an ak clone wasr 10. With surprisingly decent accuracy (2moa@100yds) I got the bug and fearing the horror stories of my crazy Vietnam vet neighbor (lord rest his warrior soul) I stuck with kalishnakov pattern and picked up a psl 54c in 7.62x54. I was happily able, with effort and patience, to squeeze out 1 MOA YAY!!!!!  Got tired of fighting to get that over the years, and a new ex military buddy of mine sat me down and extolled the history improvement and accuracy of the AR platform.  I have little issue with taking the word of a Marine out of the sand wars. Sand was the ar's worst enemy and his served him faithfully. But the 7.62x54 was an awesome round and if I wanted that kinda punch it was to be .308 or 30.06

I'm starting with a .308 dpms platform kit from moriarti arms and after that the Noreen 30.06. Rifle 

There's no replacement for displacement man.

Think you should go with the Noreen first ? I'd like a complete and full detailed review 

Edited by shepp