• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, NightStalker said:

Ya need a 308 just for the rattlers, WOW!!!!!

Lol!! Well not for the rattlers, but they sorta factored into my “reasoning” for getting one for hogs. There was also deer and buying the receivers cause I thought Hitlery was going to win in 2016. This is what I’ve used the most on rattlers and cottonmouths. B96F997D-BDDF-4878-8586-0473775FECB1.thumb.jpeg.4199c34feba4a5171e1ef6fcfdaac2d0.jpeg

2 hours ago, NightStalker said:

That sir would do it lol

It’s the most fun blade I own and way more useful than I thought it’d be when I bought it. Never expected something with a 10” blade blade go from wacking a gator or rattle to processing the wood to cook it then chopping the veggies that went in with he meat lol. 

Edited by JMJ

• 1 month later...

I haven't read all 30 pages that have gone before, yet but here's some of why I ended up getting into .308 ARs.

I'm in Kalifornia, have been since just before the Kali-ban went into effect. I had no real reason to get an AR until they told me I couldn't get one next year and so I bought a receiver and a coworker ended up selling me a complete gun before the ban took effect. As I recall .308 ARs were mostly Armalite at the time and AR-10s couldn't be had for love nor money.

Kludges started appearing. ARs with magazines that required the gun to be broken to load since they were milled without the bottom mag opening and set up like a bolt action with a blind mag. Eventually the first generation bullet button mods started showing up and a friend at the gunshop got me interested in assembling that AR-15 lower I bought a decade or more before. After that build, I started slowly picking up parts for a .308.

Mind you I'd already picked up a M1A when they came out without the bayonet lug before the Kali-ban. Before I built the .308 AR I had a couple M1As, a CZ-550 and a Browning BLR in .308. Building a large frame AR that could use the same ammo stash made sense.

That gun was a Aero Precision M5 receiver set that I picked up on a Black Friday sale with their lower parts kit for less than my dealer friend could get them normally. Got a Rainier select barrel also on sale. Added an Aero NiB M5 BCG. Magpul UBR, Heavy carbine buffer and spring from heavy buffers dot com, Midwest handguard/rail, Magpul BUS, VLTOR extended charging handle, Warne ultra high QD rings and a Leupold 3-9X Patrol. Later I swapped out the trigger. I think this one ended up with a LaRue MBT-2S. I had to mod it when the Kali gov changed the rules. One of my coworkers was getting almost the same exact parts, Juggernaut handguard, different mount, scope and muzzle device but otherwise the same. Both of them ran and I've been hooked on putting other ARs both large and small frame ever since.

M5 1st builds.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Truth be told, I decided to try the ar10 variant because I made a legal trade and while always wanting to have one of these I never bought one.

I now have have one and plan on taking it hog hunting in south Texas come October. 

I’ve always had ptr91’s but I want to reload my brass and those things are brass crushing machines. So I’m new to the forum and look forward to sharing and learning what I can here aside from on my own about the mysterious AR10 or LAR10 or SAR25… lol crazy how many names for all the ones that aren’t actually Armalite AR-10’s. Still learning as I was challenged just buying magazines, and making sure I got the correct ones for small body style LAR10. Anyway glad to be here.

59 minutes ago, Pdxlogic said:

I now have have one and plan on taking it hog hunting in south Texas come October.

Bring lots of ammo and shoot as many as you can.  There are way too many down here.

1 hour ago, Pdxlogic said:

LAR10

What brand 308AR do you have?  Rock River makes the LAR8 which uses FAL magazines.  

• 3 weeks later...

Already had an AR15 at the time. Decided to get a large frame just because and why not? Man there was certainly a learning curve to that one, when dealing with AR10 and LR308 parts and what were and were not compatible with each other. This was in 2013 of all years too, just getting the parts alone was hard enough.

Caliber was and still is in .308. I don't understand the current inexplicable hate for that cartridge or why anyone opposed to changing it is being called a fudd, because that is NOT being a fUdD at all. Just why someone correlating a slang being used for a gun grabber and gun rights limiter as the same for someone opposed to changing calibers or even adding something such as 6.5C, is beyond any explicable reasonings.

Anyway, that LR308 was made from a JD Machine receiver set. I've been constantly upgrading it ever since it's first rounds down range. Started off as a quad, went to a smooth tube pre Mlok, and then finally to Mlok. Just recently added a POF adjustable gas block and a JP Silent Captured Spring in 308. Am thinking of going to an 18" rifle gas to replace the 20 Nemo rifle gas. Nothing wrong with the 20 Nemo but 18 seems to be better balanced.

Edited by Tropic Lightning

• 4 weeks later...

I have had ARs in 556 since the day I got out of the Corps. I traded away more than a few for better, and worse, choices. Best one I had was  20" COLT HBAR, but, got out of casual competition, so it went away too for a shorter version 🙄

The last few years (8 or so) I have been thinking that while I do love the AR and 556, I don't like that no matter what bullet and barrel you use, unless you are that good and have the time to make a specified eye, temple or artery shot - you are not gonna stop a man or deer with one shot. You may well not even incapacitate for long - with just one shot.

308 though, whole 'nother story. Every cartridge has it's use, and I choose the 308 because "havoc in a hurry" for me is immediately close, and served by better close range cartridges than 556. The AR, I want for 200 yards deterrents, practiced by woods and field deer hunts!

I have a DPMS DR10 that I am getting sorted out with lots of help. If it gives me less than 6" groups over it's point blank range, I'll be satisfied.

On 3/25/2023 at 5:49 AM, Traveler said:

I have a DPMS DR10 that I am getting sorted out with lots of help.

That one is exactly the PSA PA-10 Gen 3, if it hasn't been mentioned.  Make sure you check out the PSA Section to see all the things that need to be done to those to make them a fully functional rifle. 

EDIT - I know that YOU are aware of what needs to be done.  Look at this as a Public Service Announcement to everyone else that reads what you posted, and jumps on the "ME, TOO!" bandwagon...   :laffs::thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V

• 2 weeks later...

I decided to move to the 308 after being forced to shoot those .22 varmint rifles in bootcamp (Corps).

Currently shoot two 308 rifles: A PSA PA-10 gen 3 that runs great (after upgrading the bcg and installing a SA bypass gas block), and a PTR A3SK which is my battlefield rifle.

(first post, and looking forward to reading lots of threads)

1 hour ago, WildWillie said:

I decided to move to the 308 after being forced to shoot those .22 varmint rifles in bootcamp (Corps).

Currently shoot two 308 rifles: A PSA PA-10 gen 3 that runs great (after upgrading the bcg and installing a SA bypass gas block), and a PTR A3SK which is my battlefield rifle.

(first post, and looking forward to reading lots of threads)

Welcome to the forum.  If you have questions about your rifle that you don't find an answer to, start a thread about your rifle.  It will usually get a better response and more accurate answers than adding on to an old thread.

• 8 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I had plenty of the 5.56 while I served my time, and enjoyed every minute of it. But the M60 was my favorite, I wish i could have one of those. But when I was young my father and me enjoyed many outings hunting for elk and mule deer, our favorite was the .308  and .270, so this was my kind of longing for good times and my military times all rolled into one past time. And now my son is also getting hooked on the big boys, so more quality time. 

• 3 weeks later...

I finally decided to get a rifle back when Obama was in office.  Just didn't like the way things were/are headed.  At the time of Covid, everyone was buying up 556 AR's and ammo like there was no tomorrow.  I found a nice S&W M&P Sport AR-10 in .308 / 7.62 NATO at a local shop on consignment.  The owner was a young guy who had started with some sensible mods [Magpul stock, etc] and the price was right.  Looked brand new. 

So, I bought that rifle and bought 308 & 7.62 every couple of weeks.  This was back when it was 65 cents a round for reman stuff.  I'm an old guy and wanted a semi-auto rifle that could not only reach out farther, but deliver more bang for the buck [sorry, bad pun I know] 

So since then I've added a scope, Blue force sling, new foregrips, an angled mount for a smallish red dot, and finally, after a 5 1/2 month wait for the Form 4 approval, an Aero Precision Lahar-3o suppressor.  It weighs a hefty 13.7 lb, but then again I won't be running through the forest.  this is a shelter in place gun. 

Have a great St. Patrick's Day....save some of your cash for bail later tonight.  😉