• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Skull10 said:

I wanted to get back into Rifle hunting, been archery only for 10 years. I figured get a round I can hunt with and have fun at the range with. Picked up a new DPMS LR 308, let the upgrades begin... 

Just remember this, and you said it.  We can't be held accountable, blamed, or blasphemeyed for what you do, from this point forward...  

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I guess I'll throw in here too... 

I love AR's first off. I've owned a bunch in small frame platform. Secondly I hunt, while my 6.8 SPC's are great for hunting, the 308 gives me more range and its easier to come by 308 ammo vs. specialty small frame rounds like the 6.8.

Years later I have tons of 6.8 ammo and reloading components, but my 308 is my favorite hands down. I guess it boils down to the confidence the 308 gives me when hunting and I just prefer to shoot AR's.

1 hour ago, Belt Fed said:

I'm the same way, all I want to hunt with is one. You primarily hunt deer with yours?

I do hunt whitetail for the most part. I also take every opportunity to tag a coyote with it when I can. Every once in a while we will have a rash of feral hogs. They are really destructive and are fun to hunt, the 308 does a good job of dispatching them. 

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a few 308 bolt guns by Ruger and Remington over the years. Really liked the cartridge. Bought a Springfield M1-A, not for me, came over to the "dark Side". Smith & Wesson, then a POF, currently have a DPMS Gen 2 Recon. Love everything about it except, seems recoil is bit excessive. 

• 2 months later...

I got into the small frame AR’s cause Barry and his friends didn’t want me owning them and quickly took to the ergonomics and started hunting with them. Greatly enjoyed my 450 bushmaster for hunting, but got nervous and traded it because at the time in 2013 the ammo was becoming scarce since Remington never got it going well and Hornady was talking about only doing runs once a year or so. I hunted some with 5.56/223 and had great success with killing hogs and whitetail with it, but wanted something that had more authority and more distance capabilities. I bought an Aero Precision M5 receiver set and was thinking I’d go 7mm08 since it was always on the shelves during previous ammo shortages then my best friend gave me a 50cal ammo can with 550rnds of M118LR as a Christmas gift as a push to go 7.62 NATO. So here I am.

I’m still considering that 7mm08 upper since I’ve got an A-bolt stainless stalker in 7mmRM and plan to start handloading. seems like it’d be a no brainer like having my 300blk in that I can share projos with other rounds and use empty brass from other cartridges I’m shooting as well. 

• 4 months later...

I was hunting hogs late one night at the edge of a huge field and foolishly got down and went walking along a trail in the woods behind my stand.  I was a couple hundred yards from my stand when about a dozen hogs crossed the trail about 20 feet behind me. It was at that exact moment I realized a bolt-action was not what I needed to be hog hunting with!