• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm right there with you Jim.

I was passively looking for an AR-30 for years. They just don't pop up very often. Then, one time at my local gun pusher's place (buying some small parts I think), as I was going to leave, the cock sucker stopped me and said "Oh....you might like this".

The prick had an AR-31. I mean.....come on......it was a no brainer. The thing takes my AR-10B mags. I instantly said yes. :lmao:

20200111_120322.thumb.jpg.bbc1c7f92aced3ddadaf7ea39cef9702.jpg

Edited by Rsquared

7 hours ago, Rsquared said:

an AR-31. I mean.....come on......it was a no brainer

That one is on the list for sure! There's a long barrel version with a tank break sitting in Davenport Iowa waiting for me to decide it isn't to expensive or 65b to bite, whichever comes first. I keep thinking there can't be that many of us that really want one could there?:laffs:

I picked the platform like most. Already did the AR15 thing and still do but always wanted a big frame AR and the 308 caliber is hard to beat for all around usage. Common caliber,I reload for it,can find projectiles in a wide range of weights and list goes on.

I originally wanted a super short 308 like the HK51K.. but I can't drink champagne on a beer budget so yeah,that little bastard is just stupid and badass at the same time but no way i could afford one to be made.

I built my first one in 2017 i believe but had plans for one with a CMMG lower back to 2010. That didnt pan out and it was sold to make a move out of state. 

• 3 weeks later...

My second AR was an Armalite AR-10T I got years ago. Sold it and went about life, but got back into shooting and the bug bit much harder. All of my AR's are built by myself, head spaced, staked, etc. It was also an excuse to go down the tool rabbit hole once again to get all the stuff associated with assembly and maintenance. My current rifle is an Aero M5 308 with a 18" Rainier Arms Ultramatch barrel and SIG 3.5-10x optic. In Ohio, you can only use slant walled rifle cartidges to hunt hogs or coyotes, and since feral hogs aren't really a thing up here (yet), that just leaves 'yotes for hunting purposes. I have some private land, so I can shoot anytime I want, so I mostly hit targets or plink around the woods, less with this big rifle, but she certainly makes her appearances when it's time to roar.

Long term, I'm waiting for Radian to come out with their LR308 set, and an SR-25 is definitely on my list of must haves, along with just about any other KAC stuff I happen across. It's getting harder, not easier to find, and chances are better with resellers like Thoroughbred Armament (Not a plug, no association with the company, they're just good folks). There are people who think .308 is a dinosaur round, but I like it for it's availability, plus, I like to keep mouths to feed to a low number. I presently only have .22, 9mm, .223/5.56. .300 BLK and .308 in my arsenal; ie those most likely to be in stock anywhere, as long as there isn't a huge panic buy going on!

mon4lAP - Imgur (1).jpg

I would love the 31 B very nice ... and I am sure I have said this somewhere in this thread but 11 years ago when that other president was in office , my wife of all people said we should have a few more pew pews around  and so I set out to find a new rifle , one i could kill elk with and two was fun to shoot and three it had a common caliber. So on one of our shopping sprees, i walked into a pawn shop and asked what he had he said he had a brand new DPMS LR308 I said Hmmmmmmm let me see it . well if you knew me I am tough on weapons I use them and abuse them and me and wood stocked guns do not get along very well.

So i am looking at this and I think looks just like my little 15,s but it weighs a lot more but it is all parkerized or Plastic I fell in Love no rain or snow or dropped down the mountain will hurt this thing so she cam home with me and has killed 7 elk in the years I have owned her and many deer shoots sub MOA with Barnes 168TTSX and just keeps on trucking.....

7 hours ago, Magwa said:

I would love the 31 B very nice ... and I am sure I have said this somewhere in this thread but 11 years ago when that other president was in office , my wife of all people said we should have a few more pew pews around  and so I set out to find a new rifle , one i could kill elk with and two was fun to shoot and three it had a common caliber. So on one of our shopping sprees, i walked into a pawn shop and asked what he had he said he had a brand new DPMS LR308 I said Hmmmmmmm let me see it . well if you knew me I am tough on weapons I use them and abuse them and me and wood stocked guns do not get along very well.

So i am looking at this and I think looks just like my little 15,s but it weighs a lot more but it is all parkerized or Plastic I fell in Love no rain or snow or dropped down the mountain will hurt this thing so she cam home with me and has killed 7 elk in the years I have owned her and many deer shoots sub MOA with Barnes 168TTSX and just keeps on trucking.....

We’re definitely kindred spirits in regard to being harsh on wooden stocks. I’ve got very long guns left with wooden stocks, my 22lr browning a-bolt squirrel rifle being the only one I still regularly use and it surely looks it. Part of what drew me into AR type rifles for hunting is the synthetic stocks and limited parts that are prone to corrosion are perfect for the humid wetlands of Louisiana gulf coast and the creek/river bottom lands I hunt further north in my state. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, NightStalker said:

I actually really like that part because you can design it like you want it. 

I am enjoying it although its slow. I dont have the money to throw at it especially now with the things the way they are. That said I did just buy a barrel and bcg. I did a lot of reading on the matter and originally I was thinking of getting a proof research 18 inch stainless steel barrel with a jp enterprises bcg. I sent them an email on head spacing and they said they head space their barrels on jp enterprise bolts so I was going to go with that. Combined it would be $1k for the 2. The more I thought about it the more I realized that although thats probably the perfect match for long range and all I just would never have a place I could shoot thats further than 100 yards probably. That combo is way more capable than that. So I brought myself back down to earth a little. I still think I did make a really good choice with a ballistic advantage 20 inch premium bull barrel and a cryptic coating bcg. I think that will work really well for my needs. Im not a competition shooter or anything like that.

10 hours ago, jeffery said:

I am enjoying it although its slow. I dont have the money to throw at it especially now with the things the way they are. That said I did just buy a barrel and bcg. I did a lot of reading on the matter and originally I was thinking of getting a proof research 18 inch stainless steel barrel with a jp enterprises bcg. I sent them an email on head spacing and they said they head space their barrels on jp enterprise bolts so I was going to go with that. Combined it would be $1k for the 2. The more I thought about it the more I realized that although thats probably the perfect match for long range and all I just would never have a place I could shoot thats further than 100 yards probably. That combo is way more capable than that. So I brought myself back down to earth a little. I still think I did make a really good choice with a ballistic advantage 20 inch premium bull barrel and a cryptic coating bcg. I think that will work really well for my needs. Im not a competition shooter or anything like that.

I agree the perfect match barrel and big isn’t always the perfect match for what you do. I have been building with Ballistic advantage for along time now with Aero Precision matching receivers and have had no complaints. 
I don’t shoot for tight  groups, I train and shoot like I did in the Army and hunt. At the same time we are fixing to see what it will do at long range or longer range as soon as I finish my load development.

This is 16 in BA barrel and BCG, most of it is Aero except the HG. I went with Midwest ind. I’d love to put a carbon fiber HG on it just don’t have the money right now 

A91D452E-8D37-4C09-A1E0-D12FDF8443BC.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/9/2022 at 8:11 PM, Lobo said:

Wanted something more compact (collapsible butt stock) than my bolt actions but still powerful enough to hunt hogs.  

That’s what pushed me to building mine. I got tired of double tapping them with 5.56 AR’s and still having them run 40 yards into briar thickets. 

2 hours ago, NightStalker said:

Wow there that tough to bring down?

They’ll go down pretty easy with 5.56 shots behind the ear, I just always had a preference for vital zone shots when they’re moving. I’ve killed two with a 10mm G20 and one with a 357mag taking head and neck shots. The ones I’ve taken with 5.56 pushed themselves 30-40yds with their hind legs cause they had both front legs shattered. They’re definitely a tough animal, but they’ve all died from good hits with a 5.56/223 just not as fast as I’d like. The main reason I wanted a harder hitting round in semiauto rifle is cause we have some pretty big timber rattlers living in the briar thickets the hogs tend to go for when hit and I don’t like running into those damn things in the dark  while blood trailing in summer. 

19 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

You had me with this. Fuk those no leggers.

I like’em grilled slow n low LoL! I killed two with my Esee Junglas  in the last 3 years that went over 5ft. I always thought they were one of our prettiest snakes, but also the worst damn snake in my area to take a bite from.