• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

mainly i have a severe case of BRD (black rifle disease).  i have them in 5.56, 9mm, 6.5 grendel, a 7.62x39 about 75% done and of course my creedmoor which brings me to this forum.  there's nothing better than mag dumping 20 rounds of 3.08 as fast as you can pull the trigger.  i can't do that with my bolt 700.  

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 hours ago, JF89 said:

I have been tempted to shoot one of the giant racoons digging through my trash. Anyone ate  racoon before? Ive thought about it but havnt gone through with it.

I have not eaten them, but I know people that do. However don't eat racoons that mainly eat trash, they don't taste good from what I hear. If you eat racoons that eat a natural diet, they supposedly taste a lot better.

14 minutes ago, ARTrooper said:

I have not eaten them, but I know people that do. However don't eat racoons that mainly eat trash, they don't taste good from what I hear. If you eat racoons that eat a natural diet, they supposedly taste a lot better.

If I dont eat them then I feel bad for killing them.

7 minutes ago, JF89 said:

Yup, that's the way it is for me. and I teach my kids, everything we kill we eat.

only things I wont eat are skunks and possums that wont stay out of my trash. leave my trash alone or even just run away when caught in the act, and I wont shoot you.

2 hours ago, JF89 said:

^+1 Food, self defense, or protection of property from damage. Just to shoot something for another reason is a waste of food for something else in the food chain.

Edited by Sisco

3 minutes ago, Sisco said:

^+1 Food, self defense, or protection of property from damage. Just to shoot something for another reason is a waste of food for something else in the food chain.

Only animal ive shot for "fun" was coyotes and it was for bounty money. The farmers used to pay people to get rid of them. Then some yotes killed my friends dog and her pupps(one mine), it was brutal and i kind of hold a grudge. Lol

35 minutes ago, JF89 said:

Only animal ive shot for "fun" was coyotes and it was for bounty money. The farmers used to pay people to get rid of them. Then some yotes killed my friends dog and her pupps(one mine), it was brutal and i kind of hold a grudge. Lol

Shooting them to protect property. Plus eliminating the genetic predisposition to attack dogs in that pack. Our coyotes have learned their lesson, or the ones that prey on dogs were eliminated. Haven’t had any problems in fifteen years now.

Edited by Sisco

24 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Shooting them to protect property. Plus eliminating the genetic predisposition to attack dogs in that pack. Our coyotes have learned their lesson, or the ones that prey on dogs were eliminated. Haven’t had any problems in fifteen years now.

People think all coyotes are pussies and harmless but those fuckers kill more animals around here than any mountain lion or black bear. 

Although they are not really badasses... like the badger that attacked me a few years back lol. I dumped at least 7 rounds, maybe more in the bastard. 

On 3/18/2019 at 7:00 PM, Agent Venom said:

I shoot a lot of Woodchucks each year. I usually let bygones be bygones but they always start digging at some foundation and that I can’t allow. 

5.56 with 50gr Varmint round usually settles the debate. 

I've heard of people eating them before

• 2 weeks later...

I served in the post-Vietnam Army (1973-76).  While I was always interested in firearms, the only time I ever got to shoot was at Boy Scout Camp.  I really knew nothing about firearms when I enlisted.  The first centerfire rifle I ever fired was an M16A1, the first centerfire pistol was a M1911A1.  Being bigger than most soldiers I always had an M60 Machine Gun issued to me as well.  I was impressed with the range of 900 meters (rather than the 300 of the M16A1).

When I left the Army, I started reading (pre-internet days) and I was surprised to learn of the AR10.  I wondered why the Army didn’t have AR10’s too, for use in future theaters that would require longer range weapons (like, as it turned out Afghanistan).  

Anyway, I like the 7.62 NATO/ .308 Winchester cartridge.  It’s the most powerful cartridge I use and I have a Savage 99, a Ruger Gunsite Scout, a S&W M&P10, and my favorite, my ArmaLite AR10A2 Infantry Model, all in .308.

• 4 weeks later...

Always been a fan of the AR platform. A lifetime of carrying one in the Army gave me a very good familiarity with it, but the layout of the gun just feels right. Everything is where it should be. I think if I were just learning to shoot today, I'd love the AR platform. The .308 is a great round, so it makes since to combine the two. Now older, retired, and partly crippled, I find the recoil from my .308 bolt guns a bit much. The semi-auto system of the AR softens the recoil of the .308 a bit. I still have the hard hitting .308 round, and all the other benefits of the AR platform. Plus now I have a rifle that can do more than a bolt gun, because I'll seldom need that long range accuracy. A more powerful patrol rifle is what I need. Main Battle Rifle, MBR, as they used to be called. The modern parts make putting together a dependable, accurate gun a less daunting task. I had to read to learn about the different patters on the .308 guns, but just finished one that I'm hoping will run accurately and dependably.   

Edited by daddyusmaximus

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

For me, it's about the fact that this country is overdue for conflict on our own soil, based on the precedent of history, and the fact that the Left and Everyone Else keep getting more and more polarized. Leftists keep initiating force on others, and demanding the same from Leftist politicians (when Leftist politicians aren't themselves exhorting the Useful Idiots to assault conservatives). Additionally, Leftists keep pushing harder and harder for stripping us of the right and the ability to defend ourselves from them. So, Civil War 2.0 here we come!

If we are to have a civil war, then .308 seems the right caliber that will help me punch through those who would seek harm against me. 5.56mm simply lacks the ability to punch through.

KevlarVermin.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sorry I am a devil child. I went with AR platform but in 7mm-08. Little better down range than 308 in some bullets and I have a 7MM rem. mag,a 7mm Mauser rifle and a 7mm Mauser pistol,well shotened rifle that is hand held and can not be shouldered. So 7mm-08 means same projectiles in reloading cabinet.Hell always wanted one too. I went AR platform because it just plain works and easy to change calibers,basically a upper and barrel and you have another gun.

Edited by wideopen231

• 3 weeks later...

Well to be honest I didn't have a choice lol. My Mosin has been slated for reliable, simple, end of days, never fail you, cast bullet duty. 

If I'm being really honest, prior to now, I've never cared for a AR anything. We didn't have the money to own a nice AR when I was introduced to firearms. We could afford a $350 AK though, and I enjoyed that. 

I've always liked more traditional, ie wood furniture, guns. It's pleasing to my eye to pass the shotgun case and see the old worn steel and dark stained wood. Never looked at a AR the same way, they were/are just blah. 

But now, oh boy! I love my 308 AR. We've had 5.56's and even a .224 all of which were "cool", but just not for me. This 308 is MINE, and it fits ME, and I'm over the moon happy about it. I'm sure the honeymoon will fade, but I've got a feeling this is going to stand the test of time. 

Maybe I'm weird, maybe it's a girl thing, but I have to have a connection with a gun to really get into it. To the whole "wood furniture" thing, there's a rumour around my house that we may be collecting parts for a AR carbine in .300blk, with wood furniture!!

I was dead set against them because to me they cost so much more. PSA would troll some cheaper complete lowers now and then but the uppers seemed to cost as much as an entire small frame rifle build.

BUT they snagged me one day with a complete magpul equipped lower with EPT for like 159 shipped. 

Once you have one, well they seem to multiply  :-). I piled up parts and built a cheap upper for that lower, seems decent :-). Now working on an Aero Sig shorty.

Bill

Edited by willbird