• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What made you decide to move to the 308 AR/AR-10 Platform?

imschur

2 hours ago, Snuffy Smiff said:

I was hunting hogs late one night at the edge of a huge field and foolishly got down and went walking along a trail in the woods behind my stand.  I was a couple hundred yards from my stand when about a dozen hogs crossed the trail about 20 feet behind me. It was at that exact moment I realized a bolt-action was not what I needed to be hog hunting with!  

Yeah, i learned that a long time ago. after run ins with yotes, bears and a behemoth hog last year. i never go in the woods without a semi auto of some sort.

• Replies 742
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Sharpshooter said:

Depends. Are you that mythological "one round" hunter or are you like the rest of us?  Sometimes one round just isn't enough.

And if you remember the size of that damn hog...I’m surprised 10 were!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Having successfully built several 5.56 AR’s I thought it would be fun to try one in .308. It’s been a little frustrating but rewarding at the same time because it’s forced me to learn what makes the platform work. I’m excited to get it back to the range tomorrow after work to see if my efforts paid off.

17 hours ago, Black_Sheep said:

Having successfully built several 5.56 AR’s I thought it would be fun to try one in .308. It’s been a little frustrating but rewarding at the same time because it’s forced me to learn what makes the platform work. I’m excited to get it back to the range tomorrow after work to see if my efforts paid off.

:thumbup:

On 4/14/2021 at 8:03 AM, Black_Sheep said:

Black Sheep - That explains me perfectly as well... Building AR15's and even changing one over to a 300Blackout was relatively easy. The 308AR is no where near the same platform. Although it looks like a bigger, badder brother. I learned so much on this forum - especially from 95Z5V.

It is amazing to me how AR15 parts are so interchangeable, but the 308AR is such a different beast. Out local range opened last week and finally got to shoot the "Beast" and sight in a Nikon scope. That did not go as plan, but today put on a new Burris scope and got it sighted in. The rifle definitely is more capable than me as a shooter. AND it is so much fun to shoot now. Going out again this weekend if the weather here in Michigan holds up...

Enjoy your new toy... Take care and stay safe...

3 hours ago, 1500VHO said:

Black Sheep - That explains me perfectly as well... Building AR15's and even changing one over to a 300Blackout was relatively easy. The 308AR is no where near the same platform. Although it looks like a bigger, badder brother. I learned so much on this forum - especially from 95Z5V.

It is amazing to me how AR15 parts are so interchangeable, but the 308AR is such a different beast. Out local range opened last week and finally got to shoot the "Beast" and sight in a Nikon scope. That did not go as plan, but today put on a new Burris scope and got it sighted in. The rifle definitely is more capable than me as a shooter. AND it is so much fun to shoot now. Going out again this weekend if the weather here in Michigan holds up...

Enjoy your new toy... Take care and stay safe...

Thanks for the kind words, man - seriously.  Every one of these is a work in progress, until it gets perfected, and functions flawlessly.  My goal in life is just to make every .308AR out there work like it should, and information is free, if people aren't dickheads, demanding it.  Problems with the gun?  We, collectively here, work through it. 

Every .308AR should be perfect, do what you want it to do, based on your design for the parts selection, and your real expectations for the gun - but that's not always the case...  - because there are 3 major platforms, and zero uniform standard, and ONE -GAZILLION manufacturers, some of which don't even know what the fuk they're doing in the first place....  So, we need to tweak, tune, modify almost every gun that comes from "somebody" everytime "somebody" releases their new "whatever" gun.  Hard to stay on top of - but if you stick to the basics of the designs - that WORK - then you make the gun RUN by resorting to the basics of the designs that REALLY DO WORK. 

Then, the gun runs all the time, with all the ammo.  Life becomes perfect, then.  The shiit that works - is proven.  And, don't complicate shiit with complicated shiit.  Life will be good.  

That's my soapbox speech for the night...   :thumbup:

:soap:

7 hours ago, Rsquared said:

Kind of makes you think that ol Mr. Stoner was onto something with his design.

Mr. Stoner "knew" exactly what he was doing. It was just the Army that wanted I lighter rifle for the troops, I guess... I'm glad the AR15 and then the M-16 became the rifle of choice for the military and then passed along that design to the civilians. But the 308AR is a beast in every sense of the word. It shoots a heavier bullet and it weighs a lot more as well. I'm glad I got off my behind and built one using Aero Precision parts and a Ballistic Advantage barrel.

With the help of folks here, and taking their advice seriously the rifle now sings... It will shoot anything I throw at it - my loads, factory ammo and the cheaper Russian steel case ammo. I can post photos of my last go around at the range. It shoots better than I'm capable of for sure. Our range only goes out to 100 yards, but less than 1 inch MOA is really possible with me as the shooter. Deer need to be afraid, very afraid!!! Some of them are going to die this deer season.... I can't wait.

Take care folks

• 1 month later...

I carried an M-16 A2 for a number of years - and always hated feeling like I was shooting a pea-shooter...  I always wanted something that sent more than 55 - 62 grains down-range.  As soon as I was able I transitioned first to an M249, then M-60, then M2 - all three of which made me happy and got me out of hours of cleaning M-16s.   

My first personal "battle rifle" was a heavy barrel M1A with some NM goodies.  At the time I was really down on the AR type action and loved both the functionality and ties to history that I found in that platform.   I eventually gave in and bought some AR15 platform stuff, and while I appreciated the reduced cost to shoot - I really don't care for the cartridge.   A couple of years ago I decided to start looking for an AR-10 type gun, and I bought a bare lower or two thinking I'd build one - but was waiting for some funds to free up because I really wanted to do it right.   Well - that may still happen - but I stumbled on an ArmaLite AR-10(T) from a long time friend - so what finally drove the decision to dive in was... well... a good deal on a good gun... 🙂

Edited by BigNate
additional info and typo

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Well, it all started with a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. It was too rusted out to get it licensed so I put it up for sale for parts. I got all sorts of calls low balling me and then out of the blue this call comes in and the guy wanted to trade me a DPMS AR-10 that only had a couple of boxes of rounds shot through it, for the jeep. So, that is what got me started.

• 3 weeks later...

well i had decided to play catchup on the AR front , already had a couple and was looking to see what a local shop had one day and a Stag 10 caught my eye , i was smitten , but then not so much , wouldn't cycle more than 3 at a time if that ,Stag said it needs to be broken in , run it wet , so i did , fumbled through $500 in ammo and was disgusted , they said send it in and to their credit fixed it , just wish they had done that $500 worth of ammo ago , but i love the rifle now so all is good , still going to play Barbie a little bit with it

On 9/22/2021 at 9:26 PM, ZeroTurnZed said:

Well, it all started with a 1996 Jeep Cherokee. It was too rusted out to get it licensed so I put it up for sale for parts. I got all sorts of calls low balling me and then out of the blue this call comes in and the guy wanted to trade me a DPMS AR-10 that only had a couple of boxes of rounds shot through it, for the jeep. So, that is what got me started.

Great entry mechanism right here... 🙂

On 3/2/2021 at 6:01 AM, Belt Fed said:

Yeah, i learned that a long time ago. after run ins with yotes, bears and a behemoth hog last year. i never go in the woods without a semi auto of some sort.

For quite a while now my "woods / bear gun" has been a Marlin 1895GS (short barreled .45-70 lever gun).   It pains me to admit that a carbine length AR-10 in something with .308 or greater energy levels is probably better in quite a few ways... although the simplicity of the lever gun action, the short light platform, and the umph of 405gr flat nose bullets at 2000fps still holds plenty of appeal.

All that - and there is something appealing about carrying an old(style) cowboy gun in the woods... (stock photo - not mine - but just like it...) 

1895GS.jpg

Edited by BigNate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I became interested in the large frame AR’s because of the increased long-range capabilities, especially when compared to AR-15’s. And with modern machining techniques, better materials, and the ever-evolving advantages of modern ammunition, I feel that when properly built, a large frame AR can easily compete with most bolt guns on the scale of accuracy nowadays.

Plus, since there is no “mil-spec”, the potential for having to machine your own custom parts really intrigues me. 

I’m really looking forward to future builds and having the ability to learn with and share them with you all. Happy holidays!

Tyler