• Visit Sportsmans Guide

2018 308AR.com Fall Shoot Info

Matt.Cross
Message added by Matt.Cross

Shoot dates are now confirmed.

Oct. 18th-21st 

Can't wait to see you there!

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That should be quite sufficient.  On the long range event, I'd honestly be surprised if you go through 100 rounds.  No kidding. 

If I shot up all that I would need a shoulder replacement. I am not reloading anything until I use all that up.

• Replies 652
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Matt and I are getting our geek on, and computing shooting distances from the Long Range shot-location, to the distances.  The easiest one we can pull is due west (shot angle of 274 degrees).  We can go 1.22 miles, and still have a backstop that will prevent us from "going over..."

IT.  IS.  ON.

The MRAD will do it.  The Win Mag will have trouble, at that distance.  I don't think the Grendels have a chance, at 2,147 yards.  FUK ME, the Win Mag isn't getting there, either. Not 2K yards.

Ron, this is ALL UP TO YOU, BROTHER...   Rob, if you bring your .338 Lapua out, that's another option. No one else can do this...

You do it enough, and learn the techniques/science/math behind it, and you have a foundation to build on for future training. That's the goal of the Long Range event at the Fall Shoot - longer distance fundamentals.  Learn the basics of distance. You''ll have wind to contend with, no matter what, out here.  Ammo selection is key, as well as optics setup.  You'll see for yourself, that 800 yards is child's play.  This is also exactly why we're steering a separate event towards high angle shooting. It's WAY different when it's not a flat range.   :thumbup:

We had people that had never fired a bolt action rifle before, lay down behind a gun and plant a 660-yard 605-yard shot (last fall) centermass on an IPSC steel plate. First round. 

Because.        MRAD + Nightforce.   :laffs:

Edited by 98Z5V

13 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

We had people that had never fired a bolt action rifle before, lay down behind a gun and plant a 660-yard 605-yard shot (last fall) centermass on an IPSC steel plate. First round. 

Because.        MRAD + Nightforce.   :laffs:

One of those folks would be me. THAT was some exhilarating schit!:banana:

Edited by 392heminut

On 5/6/2018 at 11:01 AM, 98Z5V said:

So, two radios on hand.  I'm thinking about picking up two more.  Thoughts?  We need four radios out there?  Redundancy is king, and all, but I don't know.  Feedback requested...

I bring two every time and we never use them.

On 5/5/2018 at 11:15 PM, Matt.Cross said:

Bring or arrange to have a shooting mat. Even if you don't employ the thing in the standard manner, it can make a weird-shaped rock into a very workable supported position.

You covered hydration and sunblock and hats, so that's good. 

If you wear contacts like I do, have adequate changes to cover each day you'll be there, as well as eye hydration and contact rinse. Eyes and ears are important, protect them at all costs. Wind and sand defy even very good eye protection, so have a way to get that cleared up ahead of time. There are precious few times that we go cold range, so have good hearing protection on your person at all times.

Bee & wasp spray would be nice to have on hand, not an issue in Spring but definitely a needed feature for Fall.

Temperature can fall off pretty steeply at night, pack something warm because the really interesting conversations happen in the coldest part of the night and you don't want to miss out.

And don’t leave your suitcase at Tom’s house !

4 minutes ago, edgecrusher said:

I can do the weekend of the 20/21 but not the 27, my daughters god father is getting married. Let’s solidify a date here soon.

Good to know. I'm good with the weekend of the 20th, let's get some feedback on everyone's availability for the weekend of the 20th.

2 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

I can do the weekend of the 20/21 but not the 27, my daughters god father is getting married. Let’s solidify a date here soon.

Looks like you're the first person to step up, and state when you can't come.  That's why we picked two dates.

Looks like the weekend over the 20th of October.  Starts Thursday, ends Sunday.

6 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I'm still unsure if I will be able to make it. fall for my agency is when people scramble for vacation the most because of all the hunting, and I'm on the bottom of seniority. so basically I just have to luck out and hope my days off fall just right.

Take what you can get, even a two day visit

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

Will do if I can. but I might not even bring any guns, I've seen so many of everybody's here that I would love to shoot. lol.

That's actually a terrific idea, you're welcome to anything I bring and I have a surplus of 5.56 and .308 ammo you're welcome to dip into.

9 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

Will do if I can. but I might not even bring any guns, I've seen so many of everybody's here that I would love to shoot. lol.

There's always a plethora of guns at the fall shoot. As long as you bring your trigger finger you'll be good to go.

Ya'll notice how I got that word 'plethora' in there!:lmao: