• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

whiny people at range

otto150

Not at the range but had the law called on me once, neighbor claimed we were shooting right over his head and it must be some kind of cannon. Sheriff laughed when he got there and then laid down a couple five round groups! The neighbor was just a little pissed  :laffs:

All of my AR's, including the .308, have muzzle brakes. They're LOUD. I've had a few folks make comments, and ask what I'm shooting. I heard a fella next to me exclaim once "that damn thing knocked my hat off". LMBO, well, I'm sorry sir. ?

I only shoot anymore at my own secret test facility, in the middle of nowhere.  No more public ranges for me.  "Range Rules" and RSOs that couldn't spot a safety issue if you threw it at them, and public shooters, not knowing anything about them...  I just don't do it anymore... 

nope no wusses here! ive had my hat knocked off and showed them the line the mussel needs to be past. then they had a jam and the line was 5 feet behind me and i stopped it imeditly!  we had a good talk. they were new? 

3 hours ago, otto150 said:

any one else ever have people piss and moan at the range that your rifle is to loud?  just curious, i have several times over the years

Back when I first got into the 308 ARs, I had a DPMS build with a JP Enterprises large profile compensator installed. The first time I took that build to the range, I laid down prone beside my shooting bench to get stable and shoot from the bipod. As I laid there loading my mags, a gentleman moved into the shooting bench adjacent to mine and began organizing his gear on the bench. I inserted a freshly loaded mag and proceeded to begin sighting the scope. Every time I pulled the trigger there was a massive concussion, followed by the 'tink' of expended brass, and then shortly after that a different sounding random 'thwock thwock'. I didn't pay attention at first but after about four shots I distinctly noticed a lot of commotion at the adjacent shooting bench. I picked my head up after my 4th shot just in time to see more loaded ammo rolling off the neighboring bench as the man at the bench scrambled to keep his gear from running away with each shot. I stopped firing, helped him retrieve his gear from the ground, and helped him move to the far end of the firing line. He didn't really complain, but he asked "just what the hell are you shooting there sonny?", and he was baffled when I told him it's just a 308. He didn't even know they made ARs in 308, and came back to look it over.

1 hour ago, Robocop1051 said:

I shoot a .338LM indoors.... WHAT???

Yeah yeah yeah...with a custom Ti suppressor. We've seen. Quit rubbing it in. 

We're waiting for a release date on that thing man. I need a .338 LM problem. 

I had the time when I was shooting suppressed 45 on the 25 yard range and a guy sits down at the next station with a 45/70 Marlin shorty lever action! I politely suggested he try the 50 yard range, and he said he couldn’t hit anything at that distance.

?

9 hours ago, mley1 said:

All of my AR's, including the .308, have muzzle brakes. They're LOUD. I've had a few folks make comments, and ask what I'm shooting. I heard a fella next to me exclaim once "that damn thing knocked my hat off". LMBO, well, I'm sorry sir. ?

My neighbor's M1A SOCOM has an impressive muzzle brake, but boy is it loud, like REALLY loud, seems like twice as loud as my LR308.  That M1A SOCOM muzzle brake, however, keeps the front planted.  He and I both can put a whole magazine on target faster with his M1A than with my LR308.

Hit the public range a few times a year.Often something stupid happens.Being the closest gun range to a major city.......Brings out a lot of “city folk”.

Prefer to shoot off my rear deck at chipmunks drinking a cold 1.

3 hours ago, otto150 said:

it happened last sunday to me, a rather large woman in need of some pilates and a locarb diet , and her 98 pound guy. my  smith has a Nordic muzzle brake, it barks.

giphy.gif

Edited by shepp

I try not to go to my range on nice days. I hate people enough as it is. I don't have the patience for "gun guys" that wanna talk your ear off by telling you about everything that they own. I don't give a fuk about what they may or may not own. Or if they think my stuff is too loud or not. Fuk em all.

So I'm "that guy" that is more than happier shooting while it's raining. Slim chance that others are out there in the rain. After all, these are battle rifles to begin with, so rain doesn't hurt them. And I don't baby my stuff anyway.

I usually leave after other people get there no matter what. HEY! That's why I'm part hermit anyway.