• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Newb Introduction

BigNate

Greetings all...   New to the AR-10 platform - but not to stuff around it.  I'm an old M1A guy who likes guns that move more than 62 grains down-range.   I bought a bare AR-10 lower a while ago with the intent of building when time permits, but just ran into a deal and picked one up from a friend.   I know only a little about it (what I could glean from a few minutes with google before going to pick it up) but the bore is clean / clear, it all appears to cycle, and it comes from a person that I know takes good care of his stuff (and who I know would tell me if he knew something was wrong).  Anyway - looking forward to diving in, learning the platform, and shooting the new rig.  It is definitely a bench gun - I agree with what I saw in another thread - that these AR-10(T) want a motorized bipod to move the front end around... 🙂   

AR10_med.jpg

4 minutes ago, Belt Fed said:

Welcome Nate, nice rig you got there.

Thanks much...  I'll be replacing the scope with something a bit better, and hopefully will get it out to cut some paper this week.   I believe that it is a "B" variant - it is stamped AR-10(T) with a US 30#### serial number.  I've found mixed info as to what I can read into that - but I'm working off of the fact that it uses the notched M14 style magazines.   Hopefully it'll be a better gun than I am a shooter... 

25 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Welcome from Iowa! Looks like an earlier one with that longer barrel, high end barrel, lots of attention to detail during the build, you have a winner there :thumbup:

Was really hoping to hear that!   Thanks!

On 6/8/2021 at 12:36 PM, BigNate said:

I believe that it is a "B" variant - it is stamped AR-10(T) with a US 30#### serial number.  I've found mixed info as to what I can read into that - but I'm working off of the fact that it uses the notched M14 style magazines.

Nice rifle my man. And yes. That's a "10-B" pattern.

It'll take the 10B mags on the Armalite website all day long.

Great mags. I've never had an issue, and I've got a metric $hit ton of them for all of my "10-B" variants.

• 3 weeks later...

@BigNate, what's with the recent rash of you AZ guys joining up, and being afraid to say you're from AZ?

I'm just wondering.  :popcorn:

By leaving that info out, ESPECIALLY THE PHOENIX-AREA DUDES...  You...  are missing out on some shooting.  You are. 

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

@BigNate, what's with the recent rash of you AZ guys joining up, and being afraid to say you're from AZ?

I'm just wondering.  :popcorn:

By leaving that info out, ESPECIALLY THE PHOENIX-AREA DUDES...  You...  are missing out on some shooting.  You are. 

Guess I could have added it... On the other hand - with you being on the south end, and me on the north - we could almost be in different states if we were out on the east coast... 🙂   

Do you shoot at Rio Salado?   I've been meaning to get down to a CMP event down there.   I usually end up at Ben Avery if I need a bench - and I've got my spots in the sticks for other stuff.  Regardless - I'd love to have another excuse to get out and shoot now that the ammo and supply stupidity seems to be subsiding. 

10 hours ago, BigNate said:

Guess I could have added it... On the other hand - with you being on the south end, and me on the north - we could almost be in different states if we were out on the east coast... 🙂   

Do you shoot at Rio Salado?   I've been meaning to get down to a CMP event down there.   I usually end up at Ben Avery if I need a bench - and I've got my spots in the sticks for other stuff.  Regardless - I'd love to have another excuse to get out and shoot now that the ammo and supply stupidity seems to be subsiding. 

Right on!   Nope, I've never shot at RS, yet.   Only public range I shoot at is Cowtown, and that's just recently, once I found out about their Accurized AR Match.

It would be easier for us to drive through Rhode Island than get to one side of Phx or another...   :lmao:

I've got almost unlimited range down here, on BLM land.  We've got two good shooting locations, one is camp (that goes out to 600, right from camp), and then the Long Distance site, with usual suspects out at 500, 850, 1000, 1100, and one that I want to toss out there around 1300~1400.   From camp, we can range the 850 at the other site, and it's exactly 1760 yards. 

It's fun down here, man.  As it cools, we get out more.  I was out last Sunday morning early, out of there by 10:30am.  Doing the same thing this Sunday.  Next match at Cowtown is 24 July, so I'll be up there for that one. 

11 hours ago, BigNate said:

It's worth the drive, If I was in same state I'd be going at least once a month. Only thing that's stopped going down spring and fall is the closed border. Even crossing a border I don't have the longest commute made by other members to get there.