• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

How did you find 308AR.com forum?

imschur

I'll be getting my lr308 in a couple of weeks when Jim comes down from Rigby, so I thought join a couple of forums. I'm a retired miner up here in the empty corridor . Hobbies are old milsurp rifles, flyfishing,bowhunting, 6.5 cartridges(grendel,jap,dutch,swede. With a creedmore or lapua in the not to distant future.)and handloading :)) .

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I found this forum while searching for detailed info on DPMS platform .308 bolt.  

I'm an old M1-A guy, just starting out in the AR .308 world.  I am experienced in assembly/disassembly of firearms and have all the right tools recently purchased from Brownells and Geissele, but I am not a gunsmith.  I just like to tinker and build.  If you can get quality parts, building an AR style rifle seems fairly straight-forward.

I've had a completed new rifle for several months, waiting for the company that sold me the completed upper to send the scope and mount I ordered.  Finally, I got fed up waiting and decided to just go shoot it with some iron sights I picked up.

Long story short, I checked headspace before taking it to shoot and it swallows the NOGO gage.  It has a Lilja barrel, 24" heavy contour and fluted.  Lilja has the best reputation, so I don't suspect the barrel.  I think the brand-X bolt may be the culprit.  I can find no name on the bolt, so cannot call that mfr.  Either of two dimensions could be the problem (bolt face recess depth from front of lugs; or the length of lugs) so I am trying to find spec dimensions on the bolt, to no avail.

I'd rather not name the seller, as I am still waiting for help; still waiting for response after a week. 

Does anyone have solid info like a drawing with dimensions and tolerances.  Any other suggestions would be good as well.  

Thanks!!

Long story short, I checked headspace before taking it to shoot and it swallows the NOGO gage.  It has a Lilja barrel, 24" heavy contour and fluted.  Lilja has the best reputation, so I don't suspect the barrel.  I think the brand-X bolt may be the culprit.  I can find no name on the bolt, so cannot call that mfr.  Either of two dimensions could be the problem (bolt face recess depth from front of lugs; or the length of lugs) so I am trying to find spec dimensions on the bolt, to no avail.

There are bolt dimensions/specs posted on this site, as we've had a member (Robocop) send a bolt to a local manufacturer, whom in turn posted those specs in order to manufacture his own bolts.

Rob knows the post - he should be able to find it and link it up.  Or raise it from the dead, into an active topic. 

There are bolt dimensions/specs posted on this site, as we've had a member (Robocop) send a bolt to a local manufacturer, whom in turn posted those specs in order to manufacture his own bolts.

Rob knows the post - he should be able to find it and link it up.  Or raise it from the dead, into an active topic. 

Sorry to be so slow to respond.  I'm new to working in the forum environment.  Lost my way on site…still not sure if this was right forum/topic to start asking help with with my problem.  Very glad to hear there are dimensions on site somewhere, but how to find may be beyond me at the moment.  Can anyone give me a pointer?  THANKS

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Sorry to be so slow to respond.  I'm new to working in the forum environment.  Lost my way on site…still not sure if this was right forum/topic to start asking help with with my problem.  Very glad to hear there are dimensions on site somewhere, but how to find may be beyond me at the moment.  Can anyone give me a pointer?  THANKS

Damn, just saw this - I'll dig around for it and try to find the info again. 

EDIT - tucson308 was the member that made the bolts, and has the dimensions.  I searched his posts and didn't find the pic, though.  Robocop was the member that sent the bolt to him to base his measurements from, and I think it was Robocop that posted the "dimensions drawing..."  I can't remember for sure, now.  Pretty sure it went down that way... 

Edited by 98Z5V

• 1 month later...

I'm a member of 7.62 AR.com and I got the information from that and I joined your 308 AR.com there's a lot of good information here it sure has helped me. You just can't get this kind of knowledge from the Internet. Very helpful,friendly and funny at times. Thank you. It's a great site.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey All,

I found .308ar.com by doing a Google search on "parts to build an AR-10".  I figured that was generic enough to get me to the good sites and it obviously worked.

Glad to be here and look forward to good things.

Thanks for letting me in..........