How did you find 308AR.com forum?

imschur

• Replies 665
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Odin from NZ

Searched on Mr Google for a AR10 forum.

Just purchased a DPMS LR .308 G2 with 24" Bull Barrel to replace an old mod 742 Remington 30.06 that I have finally worn out.

It is shooting really nice and barrel has settled in good.

Am thinking of getting maybe a 16" upper assembly as the 24" is not really suitable for bush stalking.

If I have both setup with dedicated optics I see  it as as a quick field swap between uppers as the situation dictates.

16" for under 200m - 24" for over 200m.

Am I on the right path? - this whole black guns thing is a very new learning curve to me - am liking the easy break down for cleaning though.

DPMS1.jpg

Here is target from 500m - top 3 first group. A couple of clicks to wind in and a very happy second group.

But in reality the 24" I would only really use for really long range stuff in open country.

Most of our bush shooting on deer and pigs is 10 - 70m - you just usually cant see further, so a lighter barrel is tops for snap shooting i think.

DPMS500.jpg

8 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

What size are the square on that target?

Looks to be 1" squares based on those .30-caliber holes from his 30-06.  500m, so about 550yards, and looking like 1/2" spread, MAX...

I'm thinking bullshiit.  Maybe I'm incorrect.

That is shooting prone on a range in perfect conditions - no wind, low humidity, @ 200m above sea level - would be happy to be even hitting target at those ranges actually hunting. Is .308 24" bull barrel and using 130gr hand loads that a friend has done for us - he reckons they are doing @ 3200 ft/sec at muzzle.

Scope pictured is a shitty Ranger off my old 30-06. What I was at the range with was a mates Kahles - went up to 24 mag from memory loaned it to me for a few days to get me to spend some coin on better optics than what I was putting on it - reality is though,  I cant justify $3K + on optics I am going 'bush bashing' with. Slip down a bank and hit a log or something and I have a $3K paperweight. Picture is some of the stuff we stalk in.

With the DPMS  LR 308 G2 are other AR10 manufacturers products inter-changable. ie - can I get another upper assembly - 16" (complete) and interchange with the existing 24" one?

20141115_070759.jpg

8 minutes ago, broadbillodin said:

What I was at the range with was a mates Kahles - went up to 24 mag from memory loaned it to me for a few days to get me to spend some coin on better optics than what I was putting on it 

There's only 2 Kahles scopes that max at x24.  The 624i and 624i MOAK.  The MOAK is in MOA, the 624i in Mils.  Adjustments on those turrets are 1/4 MOA on the MOAK, and 1/10th Mil on the other. 1 Mil at 100 yards is 3.6 inches, so the 624i is gonna move you 0.36 inches per click at 100 yards.  Times that by 5.5 for your 550 yards, and each click moves you 1.98 inches - for each click.  Now, the MOAK...  1/4 MOA is roughly 0.25 inches at 100 yards, x 5.5...  just over1.4 inches, per click.

So, you said you adjusted it a couple clicks, and were on, but your target group moved 1 inch down...  Each click would move you more than an inch.

Your (approximate) shot group size is 1/2" x 1/2", which would be about 1/10th MOA shooting, at 500 meters, or 550 yards.  I think your stated 500m target is BS.  That wasn't shot at 500m.  Just come clean about it.

To be fair man - my mate was doing the adjustments, not me - he was all excited about the new rifle and trying to get me to spend big on optics by taking me to the range to show me what the rifle can really do with good optics on it - I really didn't want to screw with his expensive optics in case I cocked them up, so what you are 'quoting' is really a figure of speech. If he did one click, 3 clicks or even 5 clicks, I could not tell you for sure, can ask him if you feel it is so important, but really not into pissing contests.

We started with the scope bore sighted in his workshop, then at the range he made it shoot from memory 1 1/2" high at 25m, he then stepped us out to 200m, 300m, then 500m - only reason i actually got this gun was to replace my old 742 Rem 30-06 that I have had since I was 18 - the action has finally worn out. The ranger scope on the DPMS is off this rifle, and to be honest range shooting for me is like watching golf or paint dry - I am a meat hunter. If i put a round at an animal and it tips over all is good - food is on the table. Dont really care what moa etc is....

Am simply asking for advice on a platform that is very new to me - if you are wanting to hijack my question, there is really not a lot I can do to help you.

Again - can a DPMS G2 take other makes of upper assemblies or does it have to be a DPMS one?

8 hours ago, broadbillodin said:

Here is target from 500m - top 3 first group. A couple of clicks to wind in and a very happy second group.

But in reality the 24" I would only really use for really long range stuff in open country.

Most of our bush shooting on deer and pigs is 10 - 70m - you just usually cant see further, so a lighter barrel is tops for snap shooting i think.

DPMS500.jpg

bullshit2.jpg