• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Oklahoma

GStephen

I got the new buffer and spring installed so I went to lgs to pick up some more ammo.  He had some surplus 7.62 for .50 per round. So I thought I would try it. Holy crap! 6” group at 50 yds. I thought something was wrong with my gun. Put other scope on. Same thing. Took gun all apart and found nothing. Loaded up some Hornady Black 308 and it shot a couple of 3/8” groups. I had no idea that cheap ammo could be so bad. At least the gun cycled good on it. 9264A1AE-28E8-4621-8623-52DFAF9F1298.thumb.jpeg.af9a08bc6ace524bd2d7fb2dcd36a3f0.jpeg

That was MilSurp machine gun ammo.  That shiit is meant for beltfed guns, and area targets - not point targets from semi-autos. 

It's good.  :thumbup:

This is why you don't try to use oldass MilSurp 7.62 ammo, and try to see how accurate your current, modern .308AR build is.  :bitchslap: 

59 minutes ago, sketch said:

I would dispose any of those rounds you have left! There is something major wrong with a 6" group at 50 "'  what did they fire like? Hot rounds or other? 

They shot like regular ammo.  First, I shot with just one in the mag and it locked open like it should.  Since I had swapped out buffer, I was also checking to see if I needed to adjust gas block.  Everything was fine with the the cycling and feeding.  No problem there.  But it was crazy how they were all over the place.  I put in 5 pmc soft points and they cycled good too. Grouped about 1”.  Then I put in some 168 grain Hornady Black and they cycled good too.  And the groups were dime size with them.  Gun is good and I am happy with the new buffer and spring.    When I bought that ammo, the LGS said if I had any problems with ammo bring it back and he would swap me out.  He probably knew it was junk.  No misfiring and no cycling problems but darn sure not accurate.   I would say that my buffer and gas block are going to be fine if it shoots junk and good ammo too with no feeding problems at all. 

1 hour ago, 98Z5V said:

That was MilSurp machine gun ammo.  That shiit is meant for beltfed guns, and area targets - not point targets from semi-autos. 

It's good.  :thumbup:

This is why you don't try to use oldass MilSurp 7.62 ammo, and try to see how accurate your current, modern .308AR build is.  :bitchslap: 

Actually the main thing I was after on this trip was to just to check the adjustable gas block with the suppressor and the new heavy buffer and spring.