• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My favorite handgun is a

telluwhat

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been eyeing the Glock 20, 10mm. Again the problem is cost but maybe one day I can get it. By then I hoe to be reloading my own ammo so that would help. There is a sweet 2011 in 10mm called the STI Perfect 10 http://www.stiguns.com/the-sti-perfect-10/ if I had the $ that is what I would get. There are a bunch of 2011 models that took the 1911 and "upgraded" them to be modern with larger capacity mags and what not. Check that site for you fav caliber and see what you think. The prices are high but I think they are quality. I saw a review on line someplace a quick search will find it.

post-1944-136297280631_thumb.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Sig pistol. I love the P226 series, and recently had some custom work done to my P226R Elite.

Who did the custom work for you? Is the Doc sight constantly on? If so, what's the battery life on those?

After ten years behind a P226R, I finally decided on a change. I recently bought a P220 Carry Elite. Before I put it on duty with me, I wanted to have some work done to it as well. Maybe put an RMR (constant ON, with 1000+ hour battery life) on top? I looked at "CustomizedCreationz" and "GreyGuns" as they are the most talked about, but I don't have any firsthand knowledge of these companies. I just have to make a decision and pull the trigger.

Mark at L And M Precision did the work for me. He ball end milled three lines in the top of the slide (similar to the Nighthawk AAC 1911) and milled material away for the Docter. It is hard mounted with Ameriglo suppressor sights. To access the windage and elevation adjustment screw on the back of the Docter, Mark expertly drilled two holes through the rear sight which line up perfectly with the screws. Granted all iron sight windage adjustment has to be done on the front sight, but it was on when I got it, and it's really fast and easy to shoot. My wife loves it, but I won't let her have one on her M&P 9 until she gets really proficient with her irons first.

• 7 months later...

Every day since June of last year except for this. When I first got it I carried it one day and the whole left side of the slide rusted so I cleaned it up that night and carried it the next day same thing. So I sent it back to kimber and they re blued the whole slide. I asked them to put there Kim pro coat on it but they wouldn't. Told them I'd pay extra for it. Stll wouldn't do it. So I have been a little unhappy with the coating on the gun. I love it for sure everything else is perfect.

One more thing kinda bugged me is that when I ordered it I wanted them to do some other things to. Like sightsand a few other things. They said they couldn't do they would send me the gun and then I send it right back to them and they would do the work. Took seven months to get I told them what is one or two months more to get exactly the way I wanted. But I wasn't going to send it right back to them right after they sent it to me. But all and all great gun and I DON'T go anywhere with out it.

I've been using a synthetic gun oil called G96...the aerosol.  You wouldn't think gun rust in AZ is an issue but it is, especially if you are sweating on it or when the monsoon humidity goes from 2% up to 50% in a day.

My friend introduced me to G96.  He started using it in Florida.  Said he would pack up guns for the range and, even if he didn't shoot them, by the time he got home they would've started to get surface rust.  He started with the G96, followed the instructions on the can, hasn't had rusting issues since.

Me either.

Jon

All this talk about Kimber's made me watch the Hitler meltdown video about the Glock grip again. LOL ... Do you guys have them in you Crossbread's ?

New favorite "Bren Ten Marksmen in 45ACP" only a couple hundred ever made !

Well ... I fondled one this month... Stroked it a few times for Tom .It was good for him too !

"Now I'll go shoot myself with a Hi-Point !" LOL

Edited by Dane Armory

I carry a Springfield Armory Champion Operator 1911 with an added Ed Brown mainspring housing  mag well combo in a Garrett Industries holster. My favorite is its big brother the TRP Operator with the full railed dust cover. I replaced the stock adjustable sight and injection molded hammer hammer with  a set of night sights and a squared STI hammer. 

Edited by Zebra644