• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Grilling

imschur

I followed an Emeril LaGasse recipe for a 2" pan fried rib eye.  I got the pan ready and did the cook.  At first, and immediately;  the white smoke was a sign I was cooking just like the old pro himself.  The smoking never stopped,  I filled the house up with such a big cloud I had to open the doors and turn on electric fans.  I opened the windows,  had my wife choking and the dog followed suit.  Oh stuff,  I'm killing my family with this steak.  My wife,  needless to say was upset,  the dog didn't care at all especially when I plated the beef and sat next to him on the couch.  Man o man was the good.  It turned into one of the best steaks I ever ate.  Next one and all others will be on a grill outside of the house.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

9 hours ago, DNP said:

I set the smoker on fire today. Pork roast was the victim.  Pour a little out for the lost one. 

5683979E-2F50-4981-935C-5ACCE5A2FDB1.jpeg

I kinda did that yesterday, parents got me the pizza oven got my grill (mom refuses to hear “I don’t need anything for my birthday”). So I pull everything apart to put it in and realize I need to clean after doing that fatty brisket. Put my new fancy oven in there and Light her up to burn the factory off of it. Go in side and run some water to soak my grates and the living room is filling with smoke. Go outside open up my grill and the back ledge is a blaze!!!!! So I turned the temp down and let her run it’s course. I’ve only ever had one fire with meat on and I have no clue how it happened 

It burned out during the cook. I just vacuumed it two cooks ago, but there was definitely residue in there. Auger jammed on me last cook. Had to tap on it a bit and got it going again. I assumed same deal, gave it some taps and turned it back on. Apparently I had a pile of pellets in the bottom and away she went. Was burning back into the auger and smoking out of the hopper. I probably could have saved the meat but was more concerned about outing the flames before I melted wires and stuff. Bah. 

Sooo since the last overhaul I changed everything but the auger and the control board and wheels. After that last cook I was going start a brisket at 0430 ran great for the first 1 1/2 hr then the temp started dropping and the deathmoan came out of the auger assembly. Finished in the house. Called GM tech support and explained that I just put in all these parts and now no worky auger seized. JD sent a complete auger assembly NC. Took it apart again installed. Ran it was going to do ribs by now I knew cycle of operation by sound and sight. So now I cycled up ran for a couple hours temp is swinging up and down I already changed the thermocouple so that wasn't it . Now it was flashing a OV which was over voltage. Finished ribs in the house. Called tech support and since I had the older model with a handheld remote they sent me a Wi-Fi board I was even able to connect it to my WiFi. Made a couple of beer can chickens using Trager stand. Since I had time I leveled the grills using 3/8 all thread and I broke the wheel off the tea. The other tip from tech support was get a couple of buckets drill about a 5/16" holes to create a sive and separate the dust from the pellets for better cooking and I put pellets in 5gal buckets with screw on a adapter lids to keep them dry. Best customer service ever.

IMG_20200824_151650526.jpg

IMG_20200824_135028369.jpg

IMG_20200824_151900360.jpg

IMG_20200906_154128857.jpg

IMG_20200906_154329727.jpg

IMG_20200824_151840520.jpg

I was forced to buy traeger pellets last time due to availability. A lot of the pellets were 3” to 4” long like the machine wasn’t breaking them. Fairly certain that’s what jammed the auger last time. No idea why it burned out yesterday. All was running as it should. The auger must have stopped, and then broke free on its own after the flame was out. The old traeger doesn’t have the “re-light” feature on it. Can’t wait for a new grill if we ever get the house built. 

from here on I will always dismantle and check the pot before relighting. 

Edited by DNP

4 hours ago, DNP said:

I was forced to buy traeger pellets last time due to availability. A lot of the pellets were 3” to 4” long like the machine wasn’t breaking them. Fairly certain that’s what jammed the auger last time. No idea why it burned out yesterday. All was running as it should. The auger must have stopped, and then broke free on its own after the flame was out. The old traeger doesn’t have the “re-light” feature on it. Can’t wait for a new grill if we ever get the house built. 

from here on I will always dismantle and check the pot before relighting. 

So when you pour them out for dust you break long pellets by hand.Cabelas had alot of long pellets even GM not as many. Rec tech was short throughout.

I broke quite a few, but that was the first bag I’ve come across that wasn’t fairly uniform. Like their QC has gone away. The place I had been buying pellets lately, Ace Hardware, has almost no selection last time I was in. They had some black Jack Daniels pellets, but I didn’t decide to try them. 

5 minutes ago, DNP said:

I broke quite a few, but that was the first bag I’ve come across that wasn’t fairly uniform. Like their QC has gone away. The place I had been buying pellets lately, Ace Hardware, has almost no selection last time I was in. They had some black Jack Daniels pellets, but I didn’t decide to try them. 

I had that problem with the bear mountain ones, I used a lot of treager pellets and never had an issue. Our ace is low low too, I got some Weber’s from them a month ago I liked those too. 

18 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

Very  cool.  I always have some 3/8th and 1/2" threaded rod around the house.  Great stuff and you did a good job,  thanks for the info.  What is that hot seat the chicken sat on called?

22 hours ago, unforgiven said:

Sooo since the last overhaul I changed everything but the auger and the control board and wheels. After that last cook I was going start a brisket at 0430 ran great for the first 1 1/2 hr then the temp started dropping and the deathmoan came out of the auger assembly. Finished in the house. Called GM tech support and explained that I just put in all these parts and now no worky auger seized. JD sent a complete auger assembly NC. Took it apart again installed. Ran it was going to do ribs by now I knew cycle of operation by sound and sight. So now I cycled up ran for a couple hours temp is swinging up and down I already changed the thermocouple so that wasn't it . Now it was flashing a OV which was over voltage. Finished ribs in the house. Called tech support and since I had the older model with a handheld remote they sent me a Wi-Fi board I was even able to connect it to my WiFi. Made a couple of beer can chickens using Trager stand. Since I had time I leveled the grills using 3/8 all thread and I broke the wheel off the tea. The other tip from tech support was get a couple of buckets drill about a 5/16" holes to create a sive and separate the dust from the pellets for better cooking and I put pellets in 5gal buckets with screw on a adapter lids to keep them dry. Best customer service ever.

IMG_20200824_151650526.jpg

IMG_20200824_135028369.jpg

IMG_20200824_151900360.jpg

IMG_20200906_154128857.jpg

IMG_20200906_154329727.jpg

IMG_20200824_151840520.jpg

I made a sifter out of 1.5" PVC pipe and 1/2"hail screen, that I had left over from making tomato cages to keep the birds out of my tomato vines several years ago.  I put it over a "2 wash tub to do the sifting of a lot of stuff.

Gf got some shity salmon from the store ( pre frozen) soo time to give the smoker a go and make something out of mush.. brine tonight in brown sugar salt pepper. Tomorrow rince and rest room temp for 2 hours. Low and slow for 2-4 hours hope I can save the fish? 🍻🍻 Or totally f it up! pic of finished product tomorrow.

after brine/ rince pre smoke.. and the 4 hr low and slow temp 125/132* I think it was good but a fisherman's daughter says it's fishy.. well da!🤣🍻 top fillet is garlic and pepper , lower is the same with some creole ( heat) . add in some club crackers with cream cheese and top with smoked salmon. delicious!! I don't think you would want to eat this fish any other way.. pre frozen. Im gonna have to do work and catch a fresh one.

20200917_214527.jpg

20200917_214550.jpg

17 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

^^^  Thin layer of Mayo on top of the salmon filet restores a TON of moisture into the filet as it's cooking. Does NOT leave it with a Mayo taste, either.    Once you try that, you won't go back.  :thumbup:

That Mexican line Mayo is good on dry salmon 

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

I'm on my way. :laffs:

Those look pretty good brother.

35 minutes ago, unforgiven said:

Come on down 🍺🍺👍

You two fuckers get together again, and we're gonna have more stories.  I'm just sayin'...   :banana:  They're gonna be good, too...   :lmao: