imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 5/22/2023 at 7:20 PM, Armed Eye Doc said:

I will see if I can make it in the desert.  I may need to borrow a smoker since I don't usually have the space to bring one.

Or maybe I'll have to go to Texas :drool:  something about going to the mountain if the mountain will not come...

FYI only time I drink coffee is cowboy coffee Doc style :thumbup:

3 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't think so, brother...    :laffs:

Did he stud the heads on that?  Or stock headbolts?

It’s all stock on the engine. Salvage out of a 1500. He’s not yet looking for more power. 

2 hours ago, DNP said:

It’s all stock on the engine. Salvage out of a 1500. He’s not yet looking for more power. 

Stud those heads with ARP studs.  Stock headbolts are all Torque-To-Yeild stretch bolts.  TTY, those bolts can be used one time, and you stretch them to get the torque you need.  They suck.  ARP headstud that thing, and it's a much better engine, after that.  With the engine already together, you can do them one at a time, to factory torque, replace them one at a time, all factory torque, then torque them all down to the ARP recommended torque (which is much higher).  Don't even need to replace the head gaskets that way.  Tell him to get those poop SHIIT factory headbolts out of there.  Step one for bulletproofing that engine.  :thumbup:

Edited by 98Z5V
I had to edit becaue "poop" is really SHIIT...

• 3 weeks later...

So the west coast guys will probably disown me for this but today, @DNP All ready called me a monster. I smoked a nice fatty tri tip like a brisket and it turned out really good. Was is brisket? No, but it was super tender and beefy, YES! for a single guy 3#’s is more manageable than 13 also. 

250° for 2 hours or till it hit 160°, wrap in butcher paper, gave the paper a little slather of beef tallow, wrapped tight and put it back on @ 275° till 200° and rested in the cooler for 45 min or so. 

IMG_5951.jpeg

IMG_5953.jpeg

IMG_5957.jpeg

IMG_5959.png

IMG_5962.jpeg

IMG_5963.jpeg

IMG_5964.jpeg

2 hours ago, shepp said:

So the west coast guys will probably disown me for this but today, @DNP All ready called me a monster. I smoked a nice fatty tri tip like a brisket

I have no idea what's absolutely wrong with you - but that looks amazing...   :lmao::hail::thumbup:

On 6/12/2023 at 8:26 AM, Sisco said:

Looks great. I never see tri tip around here. It is a major Midwest failing.

If you get down to the cities or I think there’s one in Eau Clair check out woodmans, that’s where been getting them. 

On 6/18/2023 at 10:29 PM, shepp said:

Smoked a chicken and roasted veggies. Chicken was ok, it was a local farm raised one which is cool and all but those fatties from the grocery store cook up so much better

Love them yard birds, even with the broken leg.  :thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

piggly wiggly porterhouse

I really need to quit being lazy and use my thermometer when I reverse sear. Went low and slow at 180 till 105, pulled it, cranked her up to 450. Shot the grill grates with the inferred gun they were at 425. Seared/turned/flipped/turned till 125° pulled and rested till it stoped really climbing (134.5-135°) 

IMG_6428.jpeg

IMG_6429.jpeg

I don't have a pic but my white meat chicken has been perfect on the smoker lately.  Next time I'll do yall some pics. It's a rosemary, garlic and oil marinade. add some  cracked pepper slow and low 185* temp for 1 hour ish then 220* for temp. Works every time. Juicy peices of white meat.