imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

28 minutes ago, DNP said:

Turned a leftover porterhouse and a pile of our “free” chicken droppings into steak and egg burritos this morning. Not photo worthy, but they did just fine. 

The art of leftovers is worthy of it's own thread. Amazing the awesome dishes you can concoct. 

On 9/10/2023 at 1:47 PM, DNP said:

Turned a leftover porterhouse and a pile of our “free” chicken droppings into steak and egg burritos this morning. Not photo worthy, but they did just fine. 

No free butt nuggets for me (my friends daughters are selling eggs and that’s what they call them lol). But I did do breakfast bowl with hashbrowns, eggs, cheddar, chopped short rib and avocado. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, shepp said:

That’s bad ass!!! I wounder if mixing some of those chunks of wood I’ve seen around would help, like post oak 

Mesquite burns very hot if you can find its wherever you are.  The wood pellets are pretty good too as I hear.

On 9/24/2023 at 3:34 PM, GRA said:

Mesquite burns very hot if you can find its wherever you are.  The wood pellets are pretty good too as I hear.

Mesquite also puts off a strong flavor which can over power your meat. Im not sure pellets would help him. I’ve seen in stores with the smoker chips chunks of wood like baseballs softball sized. My thought maybe it would burn alil longer/hotter mixed with charcoal 

like this 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/grilling-chips-and-chunks/8023372?store=18104&gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJHE9tYhMz-Bm1oPHQlFkvoYk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcyTo5vEgQMV6RCzAB3F2wO4EAQYAiABEgL5KfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

1 hour ago, shepp said:

Mesquite also puts off a strong flavor which can over power your meat. Im not sure pellets would help him. I’ve seen in stores with the smoker chips chunks of wood like baseballs softball sized. My thought maybe it would burn alil longer/hotter mixed with charcoal 

like this 

https://www.acehardware.com/departments/outdoor-living/grills-and-smokers/grilling-chips-and-chunks/8023372?store=18104&gbraid=0AAAAADtqLJHE9tYhMz-Bm1oPHQlFkvoYk&gclid=EAIaIQobChMItcyTo5vEgQMV6RCzAB3F2wO4EAQYAiABEgL5KfD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

YES ... but mesquite is the best flavor.  You dont have to use as much for flavor.  For something that needs less fuel it's an excellent option.  I've used it countless times.  The pellets are often used in cast iron stoves these days for heating so yes if you can get them they'll work.  Dont know about flavor but they'll get hot enough.

On 9/24/2023 at 6:33 PM, GRA said:

YES ... but mesquite is the best flavor.  You dont have to use as much for flavor.  For something that needs less fuel it's an excellent option.  I've used it countless times.  The pellets are often used in cast iron stoves these days for heating so yes if you can get them they'll work.  Dont know about flavor but they'll get hot enough.

The flavor of heating pellets is long painful death!! Do not ever ever ever use heating pellets to grill!!! They use chemicals to bind them!! 

Fyi I have a pellet grill it seems pretty efficient, the grilling pellets are pressed using the natural sugars in the wood to bind them. 

15 minutes ago, shepp said:

The flavor of heating pellets is long painful death!! Do not ever ever ever use heating pellets to grill!!! They use chemicals to bind them!! 

Fyi I have a pellet grill it seems pretty efficient, the grilling pellets are pressed using the natural sugars in the wood to bind them. 

I use mesquite, hickory, and some oak, IF I dont use propane.   The ashes from mesquite, hickory, and oak are used by my wife for her roses.

Chunks of coconut that have been frozen produces a nice light smoke and the flavor is never too strong.  The heat maintains well.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 7:12 PM, 98Z5V said:

Gawd DAYUM, man!!!   I just cooked today, for the week, and it's just a chuck roast.  I really wanna cook what YOU just did - tomorrow!  FML...   I love you, bro, but you suck...   :thefinger::laffs:

lol, I got one of those outta the freezer too to make Mississippi pot roast later this week