• Visit EuroOptic
  • Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

What did do today on your loading bench !

MikedaddyH

A friend recently gave me a bunch of reloading consumables, including a new bottle of IMR 700X. Now, I tried that powder once 30 years ago. I shot accurately enough, but feeds like crap through a Uniflo. I thought why not try it again? First throw, JAM. Those big fat gummy flakes seized the drum on the powder measure. I took it apart, cleaned the gummy residue out, reassembled, re-filled it. JAM. This stuff still sucks.

I'm going to give it to my daughter and let her light it off. At least someone will get some enjoyment out of this crap.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Busy day for me in the reloading room today;

Sorted through 1K pieces of LC brass I bought from Tim (USMC_0317_SS), by the way if you need some 308 brass I would highly recommend Tim, hes a great guy, he sent me a tracking number the next day, and I got the package in the mail just a few days later.

Been working up a load for my 7mm Rem Mag for hunting season so loaded up 10 more of those.

Then I completely disassembled my G27 cleaned it and then dropped in the sonic cleaner for a few minutes, dried it off with the air hose, reassembled and put a couple drops of Gun Butter in the right places, 10 years old and at 1200 rounds now it runs like a top. ;-)

Edited by GreyGoose

You have to weigh each load with the flake powders. Benefits are great ! Its just a PITA to use, very time consuming.

I like and have used a lot of Red Dot over the years. It too is a flake, but it feeds well. Zip is a flake and it feeds and performs well. There are too many other quality, fast burning pistol powders to waste time on 700X. Ramshot Competition first comes to mind (it is fantastic), as does AA#2, Solo 1000.

I like and have used a lot of Red Dot over the years. It too is a flake, but it feeds well. Zip is a flake and it feeds and performs well. There are too many other quality, fast burning pistol powders to waste time on 700X. Ramshot Competition first comes to mind (it is fantastic), as does AA#2, Solo 1000.

I love Red Dot!  But it doesn't do well with autopresses on dropping powder, for "smaller charges".

Everyone had told me not to use it for 9mm.  Had to learn for myself.  Hand weighed 50 charges, tested them out, worked great!  Set it up on the autopress for 3.2gr IIRC.  Checked the first 5 powder drops or so and they were good but apparently only from the extra jiggling to get those cases out.  Loaded 100 up.  Went to the range.

The first mag was okay, the next one was like shooting .38 Super.  Stop. Check the cases.  Perfectly flattened primers.  Yay.  Time to pull bullets.  The remaining powder charges ranged from 2.4grs up to 4.4grs.  Wwoooo!!

Now my small caliber Red Dot is all hand measured.

The remaining powder charges ranged from 2.4grs up to 4.4grs.  Wwoooo!!

Now my small caliber Red Dot is all hand measured.

Give AA#2 a try. It meters beautifully.

Okay, now having said that, yes, I know AA#2 is rarer than hens' teeth these days. Go to Powder Valley Inc. and look under Shooters World.  Clean Shot is supposed to be close enough to AA#2 as to be indistinguishable.

• 3 weeks later...

Tuesday I de-primed, sized, swaged and trimmed 100 pieces of Lake City .308/7.62 brass and last night I wet tumbled and primed the cases.  Tonight I will load them with IMR 4064 and Nosler 175 gn. HPBT projectiles.  Once I finish this I can do my final sight ins as deer season starts on the 7th.

After years of putting off getting one, I purchased the RCBS auto powder drop connector for my 4x4. First I loaded up a bunch of 44 mag with Trail Boss without a hiccup. Because of TB's shape it doesn't always play nicely, but I dialed in 7.1 grains for my 44mag load, and in 10 consecutive throws I measured it never varied from 7.1. Tried it next with Silhouette powder in .45acp and it was likewise spot on with every throw, never varied. I think the smooth, consistent motion helps with the consistency of the powder throws, even small volumes.

Man, I wish I'd bought this years ago. It's the bees' knees.

MOV_3778.3gp

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Its been a month or so since i reloded longshot for .45. Looking to do a run of .223 for a friend and ran into an issue. I have an rcbs powder charge that i left about an inch of ( longshot) powder in the tube, today i emptied what was left and had alot of stuck pow at the bottom of the cylinder?! With my mits i cant scrape it off? I used a brush and removed a bunch but its very dirty! Any thoughts to prevent and or clean a powder charger form sticky powder? Garage bench so im guessing moisture is the cause? Maybe some static from the plastic or chemical reaction? Maybe i missed the maitnence part in the instructions that i dont have ... Had to start here first. Thanks for your help!

image.jpg

Its been a month or so since i reloded longshot for .45. Looking to do a run of .223 for a friend and ran into an issue. I have an rcbs powder charge that i left about an inch of ( longshot) powder in the tube, today i emptied what was left and had alot of stuck pow at the bottom of the cylinder?! With my mits i cant scrape it off? I used a brush and removed a bunch but its very dirty! Any thoughts to prevent and or clean a powder charger form sticky powder? Garage bench so im guessing moisture is the cause? Maybe some static from the plastic or chemical reaction? Maybe i missed the maitnence part in the instructions that i dont have ... Had to start here first. Thanks for your help!

image.jpg

Take a fabric softner rag after that and wipe it out.  Those usually work to not only wipe out the "sticky" (probably static stuck) particles, but they will also take care of residual static charge buildup on powder measurer plastic parts.Hope that helps, and don't leave powder in your measurer next time.

Well, I"m a very bad reloader , because I leave Powder in mine all the time , if I plan on using the same Powder with in a short period of time . When switching Powders or emptying the Powder Measure , I just make sure I cycle it a few times for any loose Powder Granule's to drop out & load up the different Powder right after . The chance of one of the Powder flakes or what ever , mixing with another Powder , is not going to be an issue . 

A Garage not climate controlled is going to cause havoc on your reloading equipment & constant attention will be needed all the time . My old Redding , has a removable Powder holding Tube & I can wipe it & the Main body out with a Paper towel , if needed .

I can tell you , I haven't done it in years .

Bubba's suggestion is a good one on the dryer sheets. Powder will have a chemical reaction if left in the powder measure long enough but it's pretty benign. Basically it will discolor or cloud up the plastic tube of the powder measure, doesn't hurt anything at all. Leaving powder in the measure for long periods really doesn't affect it unless, as SS said, moisture or humidity is a factor.

Edited by 392heminut

Thanks fellas. Yep climate controled garage but not on all the time. I youtubed it and found a guy that uses a light wipe down with alchol.  That worked pretty quick. Im defitnetly gonna use a dryer sheet as well!

Yor killing me Sketch, llol ! That's  like reloading in the bathroom while your wife is taking  a shower.Doesn't it rain every day there ! 

Yes but its all the room i get with 3 girl and two dogs!  The reason i dont leave the heat on : 4 bays with 15' cealings is gun money out the door when a door gets opened! I will make sure i empty the pow after i load from now on.

• 6 months later...