• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Blades

Robocop1051

• Replies 616
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha. Yeah, I'm rough on everything, so I don't like to buy expensive things unless expensive means indestructible. When I graduated the academy, I got myself a citizen titanium watch and I wear it every day. It wasn't cheap, but man does it hold up to everything. Not even a scratch in it. and I don't even have to change the battery or set the watch ever!

So until I find a knife that I basically never have to clean or sharpen and I can throw it at things just for the fun of it without worrying about damage, I don't see me spending over $100 on a knife. Maybe I am just cheap. lol.

2 hours ago, edgecrusher said:

Wait, your Dept issues you gear?!??!!?!!??!

The $25 knife I bought from the union which sells some merchandise in order to raise money. 

But all my uniforms, belt gear, and basically anything else is issued by the state. only thing I put money into is shaving, haircuts, and an organizer for my car. but I can write those things off on my taxes if I even end up with enough to write off. 

The down side about my agency is getting gear approved if we have purchased it ourselves is really hard. we can't do anything useful to our firearms, and we can't use our own. (except a secondary pistol). And we have to be very uniform to each other. 

• 1 month later...

My company issues everything and they use to be pretty strict, but ive slowly been "improving" things and they dont seem to care. Started using my own belt that fit better,  added a better mag pouch, and my little OKC fixed blade...and then put some very non regulation patches on my vest and nobody has batted an eye. I still yank them off and pull the knife if corporate people ever show up just in case.  

Knife thread:

OKC XM2 in the vest. easy to scoop out but its protected between the pouches so it cant really get bumped out and fall. My ZT was getting beat up so I bought this guy to abuse. Low maintenance,  holds an edge and easy to sharpen. Its pretty thick and heavy duty. I wouldnt like it for edc but its a great work knife. 

OKC Nona on the belt. Low profile. Tucks nicely behind the holster. Doesnt interfere with draw at all but easy to get to. Doesnt bother me at all when seated. This combo is working out really well.

PicsArt_02-13-10.37.05.jpg

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

My company issues everything and they use to be pretty strict,

I have issues with my agency being strict. No firearms allowed, period. Knives must have 2 3/4 inch or less blades .........but there is no problem with having a machete so I keep an ESEE Junglas with me in the woods......

junglas.jpg.d8e345a61e564340665e646368e1c695.jpg

Gotta get one of those Beachin Tactical Baldric slings for it.

@jtallen83 After I acid etched in the logo and ser numbers I just hit it with that nasty paint stripper spray and wire brush if I remember right. It was already pretty beat up when I started. I got a smoking deal on it used and in rough shape. 

Edit to add some update pics. I think it looks pretty mean. I smeared some yellow mustard on it and let it sit to get some patterns etched in. After that I used boiling vinegar to rust blue it. I might give it another dose to get it a little darker. 

PicsArt_02-13-05.45.00.jpg

PicsArt_02-13-09.17.40.jpg

Edited by blue109

1 hour ago, blue109 said:

I think it looks pretty mean. I smeared some yellow mustard on it and let it sit to get some patterns etched in. After that I used boiling vinegar to rust blue it. I might give it another dose to get it a little darker. 

Very nice! Looks like some of the antique tools I have, some of them took over a hundred years to get that appearance.

• 3 months later...

So I've become a bit of an ESEE whore of late. Started with the Junglas a year ago, now have a 6, Laser Strike, 3, CR 2.5 and an Izula. I'll follow up later on some of these. Brother Jacobs review videos on ESEE knives has sold me along with beating hard on the Junglas with no issues. That and the availability of the knives on the used market for about 1/3 of MSRP has helped the collection grow, so far they have all arrived with factory razor sharp blades, some still sealed in the factory box.  Liked them all so much I decided to grab a couple folders they designed, the Avispa and the Zancudo. The Zancudo is a great little knife, light, good steel, easy open from the pocket, solid lock up and the handle feels just right for me. It has become my EDC knife when I wear anything other than my overalls.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--BRK-RAT-Zancudo-Framelock-Folder--18742

Figured if I liked the little one so much why not try the Avispa. Same nice steel and solid lock up but the feel in the hand is not for me. The biggest issue I have with it that will stop it from being an EDC knife is closing it. In order to have the pocket clip in the right position for me to carry the clip puts extra pressure on the frame lock making it almost impossible to close.

https://www.bladehq.com/item--ESEE-Avispa-Framelock-Folding-Knife--21651

For the money they are solid knives, for me a split decision on ESEE folders.

IMG_0258.thumb.JPG.cf7d6a85827b912262c44ef40d57ee87.JPGIMG_0257.thumb.JPG.26c9e62af142f133ba991d4692cd9b26.JPGIMG_0256.thumb.JPG.a652f50fb73299b72e2086b00c793dc8.JPGIMG_0255.thumb.JPG.7e8e7bf6eec4638b0012762d8848a231.JPG

• 3 months later...

Got another Esee fix, the RB3 from their Camp Lore series. It has a scary sharp 3 1/2 inch blade that is a beefy .125" inch thick. Differs from most Esee knives having a scandi grind. I much prefer the feel of the handle over their regular knives. This one is geared more for bush craft than a survival. The little bit of whittling I have done so far it impressed me, easy to control and again scary sharp. Made a $65 offer for it on ebay and scored, new in the box! I may have to have a Kydex sheath made since I don't wear a belt often.

IMG_0804.JPG

IMG_0805.JPG

IMG_0806.JPG

Need a new folder. Been carrying CRKT M16-13T for a while now. I've had about 5 different flavors of the same knife. May just replace it with another, but open for options. I prefer the drop point and my knives get abused regularly. I do a lot of digging in the dirt while looking for property corners. That's why I go with the partial serrated and still have the ability to cut through things as the straight is usually fairly dull. 

image.jpeg

have you tried a shovel for digging.. lol i have a sweet folder for digging dirt and rocks. mine came with a belt held sheath. UST U-Dig-It Folding Shovel with Lightweight Stainless Steel Construction for Garden and Campsite Use While Hiking, Camping and Outdoor Survival https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PG1XR0I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_fSeSBb9S71GRP