• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Hotwrench

Hotwrench

I ordered the PSA Gen2 PA10 20" Rifle Length .308 WIN 1:10 Nitride 15" Lightweight M-lok Upper with BCG and CH for $419 and got it in pretty short order and it looked good. I added an Gen 2 lower and  it functioned correctly for 20 rounds of P.M.C. 150gr with good results ( it went "bang" every time I squeezed the trigger). 

The Rest of The Story:

Of course I got wonderful treatment by the lack o tech guys at PSA.    The lack o tech guys told me at the time of my order that an A2 lower with the proper rifle length buffer and tube would be available "soon".  A word of caution now for anyone over the age of 30 waiting for PSA to produce a part,  YOU WILL NOT LIVE LONG ENOUGH!  I tried calling, repeatedly and you all know the results.  I sent emails, you all know those results as well.  So I found a Gen 2 lower with a crappy adjustable stock and I guess a carbine buffer setup, wheeled and dealed with the retail gun store for a discount (they have to pay retail to PSA now because a competitor bitched) on a Magpul  ACS-L and the PSA lower, paid more than I should have for it and converted my heavy stick (upper) into a functioning .308AR.  There doesn't seem to be anything wrong with the product with the exception of having to deal with PSA lack o tech for parts.  I hope to discover any parts other than the FCG and stock that can be obtained from an actual vendor that cares.  So far the discussion here is enlightening and everyone seems to understand that they are the "real" PSA Tech Department. So please, flood my inbox with knowledge.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome - do me a favor, if you can...  You have the PSA PA-10 carbine receiver extension on that thing, right?  Please measure the internal depth of that thing for me, and post the results.  I'm curious about it.  If you could also get the dimensions of the buffer length and the relaxed length on that buffer spring, that would be a bonus... 

20 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Welcome - do me a favor, if you can...  You have the PSA PA-10 carbine receiver extension on that thing, right?  Please measure the internal depth of that thing for me, and post the results.  I'm curious about it.  If you could also get the dimensions of the buffer length and the relaxed length on that buffer spring, that would be a bonus... 

I can help you out with this. I bought a PA10 stripped lower along with the PA10 specific carbine tube, buffer, and spring kit. The internal tube length is 7 3/4", the spring is 11", and the buffer is 3 1/4". I have only put 100 rounds through my rifle but it functioned without a hitch. 

Edited by Merle

11 minutes ago, Merle said:

I can help you out with this. I bought a PA10 stripped lower along with the PA10 specific carbine tube, buffer, and spring kit. The internal tube length is 7 3/4", the spring is 11", and the buffer is 3 1/4". I have only put 100 rounds through my rifle but it functioned without a hitch. 

Just what I thought - PSA is running the Armalite AR-10-lengthed carbine receiver extension.  Never knew that until I was looking at sketch's rifle up close, trying to figure out a cycling issue.  In your case, Merle, they at least got the buffer length correct - that length tube has to run an AR-15 carbine buffer, 3.25" long, and it should be an H3-weighted buffer.  If it's NOT an H3-weighted buffer, then it's not gonna have enough weight for the Big AR to function properly.  For sketch's gun, they had a damn 2.5" DPMS LR-based Carbine buffer in it, and that thing was causing all kinds of issues.

The spring is WAY off.  With that PSA setup, I'd honestly just buy the Armalite EA1095 spring from DSG Arms, and run with it.  That spring WILL work with this setup.

Check that buffer close - see if it's an H3.  If it isn't, find an H3 buffer.  :thumbup:

On ‎1‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 12:02 PM, 98Z5V said:

Just what I thought - PSA is running the Armalite AR-10-lengthed carbine receiver extension.  Never knew that until I was looking at sketch's rifle up close, trying to figure out a cycling issue.  In your case, Merle, they at least got the buffer length correct - that length tube has to run an AR-15 carbine buffer, 3.25" long, and it should be an H3-weighted buffer.  If it's NOT an H3-weighted buffer, then it's not gonna have enough weight for the Big AR to function properly.  For sketch's gun, they had a damn 2.5" DPMS LR-based Carbine buffer in it, and that thing was causing all kinds of issues.

The spring is WAY off.  With that PSA setup, I'd honestly just buy the Armalite EA1095 spring from DSG Arms, and run with it.  That spring WILL work with this setup.

Check that buffer close - see if it's an H3.  If it isn't, find an H3 buffer.  :thumbup:

Well it looks like the buffer in the PA10 receiver extension kit is a H1 buffer. It doesn't have any markings on it but a quick check using my wife's kitchen scale puts it at around  3.75 and 3.80 ounces. My rifle cycled fun with the 100 rounds of cheap Tula 308 I ran through it but I will probably go ahead and buy the Armalite spring and AR10 carbine buffer to see if it will tame the recoil a bit.

Sorry to be so slow but I was separated from my gun safe until today.

My buffer is marked "H" and is 3.243" , the spring is 12.50" relaxed, and the tube is 7.25" installed outside length from the back of the receiver.

My measurements seem about the same as Merls and the recoil seemed mild in comparison my Savage Mod. 10(muzzle brake, heavy fluted 24" barrel).

Does anyone have thoughts about the usefulness of adding a rifle length buffer and A1 stock.  I can't but that was the original idea.

2 hours ago, Hotwrench said:

Sorry to be so slow but I was separated from my gun safe until today.

My buffer is marked "H" and is 3.243" , the spring is 12.50" relaxed, and the tube is 7.25" installed outside length from the back of the receiver.

My measurements seem about the same as Merls and the recoil seemed mild in comparison my Savage Mod. 10(muzzle brake, heavy fluted 24" barrel).

Measure the inside of the receiver extension, brother - that's what counts.  Alot of times, a mil-spec AR-15 carbine receiver extension (7" internal depth) will have an external length of 7.25".  Check the inside....  shove the tape measure down there to the bottom, and read it at the top of the lower receiver, where the extension ends...  Your target measurement, with the buffer you have (3.250" length) needs to be 7 5/8".  If you hit 7 5/8" internal depth, you have the correct length buffer - but the weight is off.  H isn't H3.  Better than a standard carbine buffer, but it's light for a 308AR.

If you have a 7" internal depth - wrong buffer completely.  Surprised it would function.  It's certainly not gonna bottom out and have the BCG crashing into the ears on the lower, though.

14 hours ago, ARTrooper said:

I am a bit tired after work and I thought the title of this thread was Hotwench... I'm a bit disappointed to not find any pictures of hot naked or half naked women. Guess I'll just have to refer back to the tractor thread.

Welcome though to the forum. 

If someone were to come in and intro themself as “hotwench” I’d imagine they’d be catfishing

1 hour ago, Hotwrench said:

ARTrooper, I apologize for my lack of naked or half naked women pictures.  I will endeavor to improve the scenery in my future posts.

I'll hold you to that. ;)

25 minutes ago, shepp said:

If someone were to come in and intro themself as “hotwench” I’d imagine they’d be catfishing

You would still take the bait. lol.

2 hours ago, Hotwrench said:

Well, 98 it would seem that my tube is 7 7/8ths. Did I measure wrong our is this more good PSA QC?

Sounds about what sketch had - damn near 8" internal depth.  Off the mark, by a bit.  There's a way to fix it - you need to get the internal depth down to 7 5/8" exactly (or very damn close).  Stack quarters in the bottom of it, then insert the spring and buffer.  Take up that extra space in there.  With the longer tube, the hazard in the operation is bolt overtravel.  When it's moving too far rearward, it has to come back forward - that strongass 308 spring and all that BCG mass-in-motion can break a bolt stop on the last round. Or crack your lower receiver where the bolt stop mounts. 

@sketch, get into this thread, brother...

Other way to fix it is to buy a real Armalite AR-10 Carbine receiver extension.

Edited by 98Z5V