• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Happy Veterans Day.

RedRiverII

Hope everyone had a good Veteran's Day.   Of all the emails I received from vendors today, one stood out.  This email was from Surplus Ammo and Arms- SAA.

Those Freedom Loving Folks at Surplusammo.com <newsletter@surplusammo.com>
Wed 11/11/2020 3:39 PM

Veterans Day, November 11th, 2020

Today, November 11th, is Veteran's Day.  Not some other day when some get a day off from work in "observance," but today, the 11th, every November 11th.  The eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month.

In honor of this Veterans Day.  We pause to thank and honor all veterans, all members of the military living or dead.

Thank you.

This day we know as Veterans Day was first "Armistice Day" as originally celebrating the first anniversary of the end of what was once known as "The Great War," now known as World War 1.  This day, November 11 was later changed to a national holiday beginning in 1938, then to be renamed in 1954 in a bill signed by President Eisenhower, himself an Army general, to "Veterans Day."

Veterans Day is the day we honor American service men and women, all veterans living or dead, especially giving thanks to those still with us who have served our great country honorably both during war as well as in peacetime.

From History. com:

• 18.2 million living veterans served during at least one war as of 2018.
  • 7 million veterans served during the Vietnam War era (1964-1975).
  • 5.5 million veterans served during the Gulf War (representing service from Aug. 2, 1990, to present).
  • Of the 16 million Americans who served during World War II (1941-1945), about 325,000 are still alive as of 2020.
  • 2 million veterans served during the Korean War (1950-1953).
  • 6 million veterans served in peacetime.
  • percent of veterans are women.
  • As of 2014, 2.9 million veterans received compensation for service-connected disabilities.
  • As of 2014, 3 states have more than 1 million veterans in among their population: California (1.8 million), Florida (1.6 million), Texas (1.7 million).
  • The VA healthcare system had 54 hospitals in 1930.  Since then it has expanded to include 171 medical centers, more than 350 outpatient, community and outreach clinics, 126 nursing home care units, and 35 live-in care facilities for injured or disabled veterans.
  • As of 2017 the top three states with the highest percentage of veterans were Alaska, Maine and our now home, Montana.

You know a veteran.  Go thank them today, at least.

We here at surplusammo. com are now in Montana, moved here in 2018.  We began at a small store back in Lakewood, WA across the freeway from Joint Base Lewis-McChord (JBLM), home to both Army and Air Force veterans that we have known now for many years.  Our Tacoma, WA store is still back there, a few miles down the freeway from JBLM.  We have befriended more than we can remember and have hired several of these finest over the years to include several that worked for us in our warehouse back in Tacoma, before we moved here.  Our store has many more veterans, both former and retired Army as well as Air Force.  Our new home here in Victor, MT we currently have three veterans working for us.  A simple thing, we would not be here without them, and in more ways than one.

5 hours ago, RedRiverII said:

Thanks 98 for posting that incredible article.  An honorable mention to the folks at SURPLUSAMMO.COM for the work they do.

Those guys are amazing.  From 1992 through 2004, I was stationed at Ft Lewis, and I loved SAA.  I'd hit them up for surplus field gear, just to try to cut it up or modify it.  Through the years, after moving out of Washington, and to AZ, I've kept in touch with some of the people there, and bought their product in the early 2010-years, when Aero made all their uppers and lowers - but didn't even sell their own branded stuff.  I'll bet I have 1/2 dozen guns built on SAA-marked lowers and uppers. 

Fantastic people, very well worth supporting.  :thumbup: