• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

My first AR 10 arrived!

Steveale

The magpul bipod is a nice piece. It’s not in the same class as an Atlas, but it’s decent. 

lube that gun up nice before you take it out to shoot. We’ve seen plenty of gas and recoil system issues with PSA. If it has any trouble getting broken in, you’ll find everything you need to do on here. Hopefully, yours is good and just runs fine. 

Thx. I wanted the real tree one but given the current demand it might never be “available” via the website.  

I had to check multiple times a day to see when this one had the “out of stock” status lifted.  

ive been reading up on hydro dip vs vinyl wrap. Anyone have any perspective on the vinyl wraps.  I know the hydro dip pros and cons pretty well.  Seems vinyl wrap done properly has a lot of benefits and reversibility.  

Alright, alright, alright...   We gotta get to this and fix it.

It's a nice gun, I get it.  It's not an AR-10.  Not even close.  Simple reason - AR-10s are different, and AR-10s are only made by Armalite.  You DON'T HAVE an AR-10.

You don't even have a DPMS LR-308 patterned rifle right there - because PSA did whatever they wanted to do, and didn't follow ANY pattern.  What you have is proprietary, only made by PSA and nobody else, and some parts interchange - and some don't.  You certainly won't be able to mount up any old AR-10 (true) rail to that thing.

Just putting that out there, and cutting this bad habit off.  Not an AR-10.  Not a DPMS-based LR-308, either.  But it's definitely a .308AR. 

Edited by 98Z5V

10 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Alright, alright, alright...   We gotta get to this and fix it.

It's a nice gun, I get it.  It's not an AR-10.  Not even close.  Simple reason - AR-10s are different, and AR-10s are only made by Armalite.  You DON'T HAVE an AR-10.

You don't even have a DPMS LR-308 patterned rifle right there - because PSA did whatever they wanted to do, and didn't follow ANY pattern.  What you have is proprietary, only made by PSA and nobody else, and some parts interchange - and some don't.  You certainly won't be able to mount up any old AR-10 (true) rail to that thing.

Just putting that out there, and cutting this bad habit off.  Not an AR-10.  Not a DPMS-based LR-308, either.  But it's definitely a .308AR. 

I guess technically you can’t call it a .308 AR since that abbreviation is synonymous with Armalite.  I will just call it my **** from now on. You’ll have to guess what **** is....😂

15 hours ago, Steveale said:

I guess technically you can’t call it a .308 AR since that abbreviation is synonymous with Armalite.  I will just call it my **** from now on. You’ll have to guess what **** is....😂

Not true. 

However, you DEFINITELY can't call it an AR-10, because it's not, and there are mechanical differences.  It IS a .308AR, though.  Good try, though. :thumbup:

".308AR" doesn't have a single thing to do with Armalite, by the way, and they own no name in that fight.  They DO own "AR-10" though.    You can argue semantics all you want, but that's the entire, real, valid reason for this site in the first place - set it straight on .308ARs.  Because there ARE differences.  3 major platforms, not to mention all the "custom billet" places that can't seem to get it right, and functional. 

PSA PA-10 is not an Armalite AR-10, it's not a DPMS LR-308, and it's not a Rock River LAR-8.  Oh, and another pattern - It's not a Bushmaster BA-10 - which later became the RRA LAR-8...

There ARE differences...   Your PA-10 is out there in Proprietary Land, with alot of others.  Some work, some don't...  Some can be made to work, and some can't...   :popcorn:

Iron Ridge Arms comes to mind.

Edited by 98Z5V

3 hours ago, Steveale said:

Well their website is a breach of trademark according to your post...

EAC0B60F-C195-432F-9340-62BB3BC81870.png

Their website is certainly erroneous and misleading, unless they're actually selling Armalite products as well.

Long story short, the term "AR-10" has erroneously become a catch-all phrase for 308 ARs, which causes issues for folks who order aftermarket parts not knowing the difference.

9 hours ago, Matt.Cross said:

Their website is certainly erroneous and misleading, unless they're actually selling Armalite products as well.

Long story short, the term "AR-10" has erroneously become a catch-all phrase for 308 ARs, which causes issues for folks who order aftermarket parts not knowing the difference.

Yeah a bit like when people refer to a 4x4 as a Jeep

ArmaLite Inc. holds a US trademark on the name "AR-10",other rifle manufacturers currently produce 7.62×51mm NATO auto-loading rifles that are based generally on the AR-10 design. 

ArmaLite had further brushes with success, especially with the ArmaLite AR-18. These were not enough to keep the company going, and they ceased operations in the early 1980s. The design rights and name were purchased in 1996 by Mark Westrom, who re-launched the company ArmaLite, Inc., now headquartered in Geneseo, Illinois.

In 2013, Westrom sold ArmaLite, Inc. to Strategic Armory Corps, who also owns AWC Silencers, Surgeon Rifles, Nexus Ammo, and McMillan Firearms. Strategic Armory Corps was formed with the goal of acquiring and combining market-leading companies within the firearms industry. In 2014, 3-Gun Champion Tommy Thacker was appointed president. In 2015, ArmaLite introduced 18 new products including AR-10 and M-15 platform firearms. In mid 2018, ArmaLite was relocated to Phoenix, Arizona

15 hours ago, Steveale said:

Well their website is a breach of trademark according to your post...

You can cut the bullshiit now, and LISTEN...  Or refuse to listen, and just be dumb.

Go mount a real AR-10 handguard to your rifle, and see what happens - and make sure you report back on that.  Tell me how you succeed on battling 16tpi threads vs 18tpi threads - you'll learn right then, I guarantee it.

You can listen, or you can ignorantly argue an invalid point, and be a dumbass.

Your call.

PSA has never been smart, nor accurate - in listing products - nor put out fully functional PSA PA-10s, from their factory.  Don't bet all your money on that basket of bullshiit.

Edited by 98Z5V

28 minutes ago, Steveale said:

Wow. You’re a real dick. Later. 

OK. I'm Fukin tired of this type of bull$hit.

NO. He's not being a dick. He was just trying to steer you in the right direction. There's a lot of confusion with this large frame AR platform.....even from manufacture's.

And this is coming from one of the "Armalite" guys who actually has multiple AR-10's. Trust me.....they're different from the others. In the same way that LR-308's are different from the others.

This is the same nonsense that we see all the time with new guys on this board. And it's tiring. Guys that think they know it all because they just bought a new rifle, or just snapped together a new rifle. Just because you pieced together an AR-15 doesn't mean you know jack $hit about AR's. These are different animals than AR-15's. They just look similar.

We're all here to help you, with the accumulated knowledge that many of us have on this platform, after years of experience dicking with these rifles.....in various calibers.

If you can't take a little light hearted criticism and guidance........well........There's the Fukin door.

I just don't have the patience for this nonsense anymore.

Look genius; not a single member has agreed with your stance here. Any random 308AR is not an AR-10. Some were nicer about it than others; and that's just the way of the world. You can be butt-hurt all you want.

An AR-10 upper won't even mate up with the lower you have; much less function. Why did you show up here; if not to learn?

ar10-dpms-1.jpg

armalite-dpms_1.jpg

6 hours ago, Lane said:

mate up with the lower; much less function.

So now I have to second guess myself here.... Images were from the main 308ar.com site of course. Maybe I was first misreading the contour on the Armalite upper; and the takedown pin appears to be seated. Does this configuration function? It's obvious that the inverse can not possibly work; which is what my brain impacted first.

It also points out an interesting fact of the matter. I'd much rather have an AR-10 if I ever needed to mortar the rifle. Look at the relatively massive amount of metal, bracing the tower of the AR-10 lower cut profile. Pretty sure that was intentional in terms of design. I've long wondered why these proprietary variations keep multiplying...

armalite-dpms_1.jpg.eb192ba1521050b0ea312bc5de48d608.jpg

17 hours ago, Lane said:

So now I have to second guess myself here.... Images were from the main 308ar.com site of course. Maybe I was first misreading the contour on the Armalite upper; and the takedown pin appears to be seated. Does this configuration function? It's obvious that the inverse can not possibly work; which is what my brain impacted first.

It also points out an interesting fact of the matter. I'd much rather have an AR-10 if I ever needed to mortar the rifle. Look at the relatively massive amount of metal, bracing the tower of the AR-10 lower cut profile. Pretty sure that was intentional in terms of design. I've long wondered why these proprietary variations keep multiplying...

armalite-dpms_1.jpg.eb192ba1521050b0ea312bc5de48d608.jpg

It's hit or miss, my Matrix upper will fit in my DPMS lower and hand cycle but my Diamondback upper won't close all the way in my DPMS lower. Both of those uppers are Armalite pattern.