• Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ammo

unforgiven

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, good video, makes sense.

However no mention of prices once things "settle down" some.  

Hoarding has caused this more than "new gun owners" or new shooters, hunters, etc.  It appears that no matter how much the prices go up any ammo that becomes available is going to sell.  I'm sure the "bean counters" at all of the ammo manufacturers are looking at that fact pretty hard and will make efforts to not only maximize production, but profits at the same time.......

Up here with the shooters seeing what's going on in the USA, they are coming around to the realization we are no immune. Powder and primers( pistol especially) are scarce with places saying out of stock and no idea as to when more is coming.

Someone made a big dent in the primer supply up here apparently buying up huge quantities and re exporting back to USA. 

Turns out there is a plant up here that makes  powder for IMR so I got a lead on potential for 5lbs batches at CAN$160.

This is a lot like the toilet paper shortages last year, people buying up 3-5 year supply.

It also doesn't make sense for the manufactures to invest huge amount and create manufacturing capacity that will then end up dormant for periods of time. Better to run extra shifts, even weeks then when things slow down simply adjust manpower needs.

Not really a big fan of steel case ammo but at least it's available for under a dollar a round.

I have an AR-47 (7.62 x 39 AR-15 build) and when I take it to the range I also take along a solid steel rod to drive the stuck cases out if/when they occur.   Typically it runs flawless with steel case ammo but every once in a while it will jam SOLID and the only way to get the bolt back and case out of it is with a steel rod and BFH.

I had some Wolf steel case 5.56 ammo about 15 years ago and had a couple of issues with it in several of my AR-15's so I never went that direction again.  Nothing major, but anytime I get a jam or malfunction for any reason I start to not trust that weapon and IF it's the ammo I'm DONE with that ammo....period, end of story.

Same thing with pistols.  I've owned at least half a dozen small auto pistols in both 380 and 9mm and ended up with a Hellcat.  It absolutely runs anything you throw at it, 100 percent, all the time, and never grumbles once.  ALL the others I owned would have issues just often enough I wouldn't carry them as a my secondary weapon for any reason.  I like the Hellcat so much it's now my primary weapon since it nearly the capacity of much larger 9mm auto pistols......

2 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Not really a big fan of steel case ammo but at least it's available for under a dollar a round.

I have an AR-47 (7.62 x 39 AR-15 build) and when I take it to the range I also take along a solid steel rod to drive the stuck cases out if/when they occur.   Typically it runs flawless with steel case ammo but every once in a while it will jam SOLID and the only way to get the bolt back and case out of it is with a steel rod and BFH.

I had some Wolf steel case 5.56 ammo about 15 years ago and had a couple of issues with it in several of my AR-15's so I never went that direction again.  Nothing major, but anytime I get a jam or malfunction for any reason I start to not trust that weapon and IF it's the ammo I'm DONE with that ammo....period, end of story.

Same thing with pistols.  I've owned at least half a dozen small auto pistols in both 380 and 9mm and ended up with a Hellcat.  It absolutely runs anything you throw at it, 100 percent, all the time, and never grumbles once.  ALL the others I owned would have issues just often enough I wouldn't carry them as a my secondary weapon for any reason.  I like the Hellcat so much it's now my primary weapon since it nearly the capacity of much larger 9mm auto pistols......

The only gun I run steel case 7.62x39 in is my Arsenal AK type. That thing will digest anything! Never a jam or FTF or FTE. Ihave an old Astra A100 9 mm That is an old tech all steel Sig clone. But has never jammed on anything. I trust that pistol to do it's job. Those are the type of firearms that it really doesn't matter if they are the nicest or fanciest, because you know they will work when needed.

Edited by Sisco

2 hours ago, Rsquared said:

What's this....."cleaning" thing I hear people talk about? :lmao:

1 hour ago, Sisco said:

When you look through a 30 caliber bore and it looks like a pinhole, you gotta start thinking about it. ..... but,,,, don’t be too hasty.

Here's a picture of Rsquared solution... just keep necking down the case :hail:

neckdown.jpg

"The only gun I run steel case 7.62x39 in is my Arsenal AK type. That thing will digest anything! Never a jam or FTF or FTE."

+2

I had an older Chinese AK-47, finally cut it loose a few years ago after filling the gun safe with black rifles.   The AK NEVER did anything but go bang every single time you pulled the trigger.  Didn't much give a chit about the type of ammo, or if you ever bothered to clean it or not.  No wonder you see so many of them in use around the World, I used to call them "peasant proof" when I was deployed where we saw a LOT of them!.......

6 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

"The only gun I run steel case 7.62x39 in is my Arsenal AK type. That thing will digest anything! Never a jam or FTF or FTE."

+2

I had an older Chinese AK-47, finally cut it loose a few years ago after filling the gun safe with black rifles.   The AK NEVER did anything but go bang every single time you pulled the trigger.  Didn't much give a chit about the type of ammo, or if you ever bothered to clean it or not.  No wonder you see so many of them in use around the World, I used to call them "peasant proof" when I was deployed where we saw a LOT of them!.......

I like the Arsenal because it has a machined steel receiver. So it is more rigid and hence a bit more consistently accurate. Weighs a pound more then stamped steel AK. Most folding stock AK’s are also machined receivers. Gaucho, what is that, a 50/17? 🤣

Edited by Sisco

Yikes!  One thing I have a lot of is primers, so not going to get bent over buying any thru all of this.  Bullets is another thing, I may have to break out the molds and start casting then sizing/lubing them again.  I haven't had that stuff out in at least 30 years now.  What a PITA all that is, but at least I can reload and do some shooting if this hoarding continues much longer........

"I like the Arsenal because it has a machined steel receiver."

Yep, the better ones were machined and barrels threaded solid into the receiver.  Some of the cheaper versions didn't have chrome lined gas system/parts, barrels, etc.  Shoot some cheap ammo thru one, don't clean it and it'll be locked up solid next time you get it out!  Even with all that said the drilled/pinned SKS's and AK's will still go bang every time you pull the trigger, and that is typically good enough for most folks  who own one.  I can't imagine a black rifle with a pressed in drilled/pinned barrel.........