• Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Ammo

unforgiven

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few guns are showing up as well, so basically the "mad-rush" is over and things are starting to settle down a bit. 

I'm pretty good on weapons at this point, but would like to have a good functioning 22 caliber auto pistol.  Every one I've owned to date doesn't work for chit so I send them on down the road.  Shooting raccoons in the middle of the night when they try to get into the chicken coup with my 9mm is HELL on my ears and I'm already on the hearing conservation program.

Been waiting for Smith and Wesson to get their 22 M & P up to 16 rounds or so.  I'd rather have one of those than a Taurus or Kel-Tec........

On 4/9/2021 at 4:29 AM, Cliff R said:

I'm pretty good on weapons at this point, but would like to have a good functioning 22 caliber auto pistol.  Every one I've owned to date doesn't work for chit so I send them on down the road.

Try a Walther P22,  brother.  I've had one for about 10 years or so, and it eats everything, and goes bang every single time.  :thumbup:

They're old enough now, that you might find one cheap.

WALTHER P22 - Gas Pistols - AKAH

I'll check out the Walther...tks...

I was cleaning up in the basement yesterday and found a sealed container FULL of Lake City Match brass.  There is probably 200-300 cases in there, once fired.   It would be from the late 1980's........

IMG_2697.jpg

IMG_2698.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

Really?  I've never seen any for sale anyplace.  This would have came from an in service match at either Camp Perry or Damneck in the late 1980's.  At one of those matches I shot a 19-10/4X slow fire prone, personal best.  What's the going rate for it these days?

I used some of it decades ago to make some .243 loads.  Necked them down to 7mm--08 than down to .243 and trimmed them.  Not sure if the brass had anything to do with it but that rifle was DEADLY accurate putting most groups well under 1/2" at 100 yards or pretty much in the same hole IF the jerk behind the trigger did their part.

I've owned a few "home-run" rifles that just flat got it done for tight groups.

Believe it or not at the top of the pile was a Remington 788 in 22/250, 1/4" three shot groups at 100 yards were the norm.  I used H-414 and Speer 52 grain bench rest bullets (flat base not boat tail).  For some reason across by chrony boa-tail bullets were down 200fps over the flat base varieties, to this day never figured that one out.

Right with it is my 450 Bushmaster, ALL groups ever fired from that rifle go pretty much into the same hole if you hold still enough.  Couple of years ago at our range with witnesses I fired 5 rounds at 100 yards and only 3 holes nested in a tiny cluster.  They accused me of shooting two rounds off the paper!....LOL

My AR-15's are "spotty" for accuracy and very finicky with ammunition.  X-Tac in the two Varmint AR's get it done pretty good.  Most of the "low end" generic Wolf, Privi, Federal, American Eagle, etc will NOT consistently group in anything I've ran that stuff thru.  I really should hand-load for them and try to tighten things up some, but I've went another direction with Varmint hunting.  I'm using my Ruger 10-22 topped with a cheap 3-9 Tasco scope instead.  I'm 100 percent hit ratio to 100 yards, about 75 percent out to 150 and about 1 in 3 at 200-225 yards.  It's a LOT of fun and best of all it doesn't ring the chit out of my ears and scare all the groundhog within a mile back into their holes.  Sometimes I'll even get 2 or 3 opportunities at the same hog before I either give him a bellyache or he figures out something just isn't quite right and goes underground.  There is quite a "delay" before the rounds hit home at 200 yards, but it will still plant them in their tracks on occasion and when it doesn't Sadie is all up in their chit before they make it back to their holes!........

IMG_1904.jpg

IMG_1948.jpg

Edited by Cliff R

18 minutes ago, Cliff R said:

Believe it or not at the top of the pile was a Remington 788 in 22/250,

That was the first centerfire rifle I bought. Jeweled the bolt, tuned the trigger, glass bedded and customized the stock, then proceeded to shoot the barrel out with my youthfully exuberant handloads, it was a pretty stout action, started out very accurate........ :laffs:

I bought mine back in the mid-1970's and exploited it for decades till one day I went to open the bolt and the handle separated from it...YIKES!  Not the rifles fault, if you got the loads a little too hot it REFUSED to open without whacking it with a hammer.  I did that to it a lot early on before figuring out the perfect load for it , was also learning the ropes with reloading at that time so.  With any of this stuff you can't make an omelet without breaking a few eggs and very quickly I learned to stay on the lower end of the charges posted in reloading manuals....FWIW.  I suppose all the "whacking" took it's toll on the bolt/handle and it just decided one day it had enough of it......

On 4/9/2021 at 6:29 AM, Cliff R said:

A few guns are showing up as well, so basically the "mad-rush" is over and things are starting to settle down a bit. 

I'm pretty good on weapons at this point, but would like to have a good functioning 22 caliber auto pistol.  Every one I've owned to date doesn't work for chit so I send them on down the road.  Shooting raccoons in the middle of the night when they try to get into the chicken coup with my 9mm is HELL on my ears and I'm already on the hearing conservation program.

Been waiting for Smith and Wesson to get their 22 M & P up to 16 rounds or so.  I'd rather have one of those than a Taurus or Kel-Tec........

I picked up one of these for a good price and like it.

https://www.beretta.com/en-us/u22-neos-/

16 hours ago, Cliff R said:

Really?  I've never seen any for sale anyplace. 

There's a reason for that...   Those that get it, shoot it, and either turn it back in (police up the brass) because they have to, or they keep it for themselves and reload it - if they don't have to turn it in.   

That's not even "Sniper Course" ammo - that came from service competition ammo, and the designers of the load all lived at Fort Benning, and were AMU members.

Edited by 98Z5V

Speaking of ammo...  

Has anyone deconstructed steel case Russian 308 ammo?? I have some Tulammo, Red Army and Wolf... They ALL look the same visually. And Wolf now uses 150gr bullets and Boxer primers vs my old stuff with Berdan primers and 145gr bullets...

I completed a search here on the forums and found nothing about deconstruction of ammo... Any ammo. If you know of a thread please let me know.

I was thinking of deconstructing one cartridge from each group, to see what I could see. Not scientific I know, but I'm curious about bullet weights, powder used and weight in grains... I have a RCBS bullet puller for my RCBS press and Franklin Arsenal scale. Along with Hornady Ogive and C.O.L. measuring tools...  Thought I might do this Saturday before I go to the range. The wife is going to a baby shower so here is my chance...

Any thoughts or links??

"There's a reason for that...   Those that get it, shoot it, and either turn it back in (police up the brass) because they have to, or they keep it for themselves and reload it - if they don't have to turn it in"

Cool and as always thanks for the info/details.

Good news is that I found it, bad news is that I went out and bought 200 rounds of new Winchester brass and have been working with it for quite a few years now.  I don't like mixing it up, so will have to either continue with what I've got, or chit-can all of it and move on to the LC Match Brass.  I've worked up a nice hunting load using Varget and 175 grain Barnes bullets.  Since we take three different 308-AR's out West Elk hunting it's not always easy to find one load that works well in all three rifles but we're there at the moment.  Not sure if I have the time or energy to change things up at this point, plus "when something is working well don't fuk with it" has served me well for quite a few decades!

I vaguely remember sticking around to clean up as we shot on the last relay at a match in Virginia and most likely I was allowed to keep some of the brass for my efforts.  This would have been in the summer of 1986 or 1987, so it's been in storage quite a while......

IMG_3416.JPG