• Visit Sportsmans Guide

BRRRRRRRR . . . .

mrmackc

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

One for the property would be a good idea though.  I would need a large propane tank.  I will start to look at them as we get things moving out there.

If you've ever torn down gas engines and rebuilt them, something will stand out to you CLEARLY once you tear down a propane engine - the pistons are clean, the combustion chambers are clean, the valves don't need to be de-carboned...   Propane engines are the cleanest running things out there.  Blew my mind, the first one I took apart.  

5 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

If you've ever torn down gas engines and rebuilt them, something will stand out to you CLEARLY once you tear down a propane engine - the pistons are clean, the combustion chambers are clean, the valves don't need to be de-carboned...   Propane engines are the cleanest running things out there.  Blew my mind, the first one I took apart.  

Had I not gotten a great price on my last generator, I was going to get a dual fuel generator that could use gasoline or propane.  It was 2/3 more.

23 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

Tejas has a very very low energy reserve - because they've never needed a higher energy reserve.  The Glenn Beck program tonight went over a whole lot of this on tonight's show, so it's worth searching and listening to.  Very good info on the "why" this is happening to Tejas right now. Not the temps - that can't be avoided - but the blackouts that are fucking people up...

Texas is on their own electricity grid, not connected to any other we sink or swim on our own.  The privately owned (stockholders) providers are more interested in profits than keeping up the infrastructure and The previous Gov. and legislators put up 7 Billion tax dollars in subsidies for wind mills and 23% of the supply system is wind turbines. We haven't had as severe cold weather like this in 30 years.  We have been in single digits with snow and ice since Sunday and haven't been above freezing since . I have had a Heatolater wood burning fireplace in the master bedroom since we built.  I am sensitive to smoke so we put in a set of gas logs. We have a 250 gallon propane tank for the fireplace so we are okay.  Our electric provider is a COOP and not connected to the privately owned providers and our power has not been off any. All the towns around have been without power for 2 or 3 days now..  I also have a 10KW gas generator for a backup, and it hasn't been needed for 8 years so far. I am thinking I will get a 20Kw propane powered unit that is automatically kicks in in case of an extended outage, either a Cummins / Onan unit or a Generac unit . for around $5K. it ids only money.

The propane generator is nice because you don’t have the fuel to maintain like the diesel, but they are a little pricey when they’re running based on fuel consumption. Wind is a tough one when the mill freezes, solar is tough when it snows or clouds up. Nothing like a good ok clean energy nuclear plant...let’s get back to building those. This event will definitely make some changes in the way they design the mills...so that’s good for engineers I guess. Hope all stay safe out there. Damn global warming. All the hot spots in the world sucked the heat out of us. 

We had a 45k ginny at deer camp for years, it had a chevy vortec engine and it ran off propane. we had the propane company drop a tank on our lease and we had it filled about twice a season. it used a lot of propane cause the generator was designed to run wide open even if no load was on it.

We started having trouble with the computer on it and it was 1000 bucks a pop to replace that thing. it blew two up and we got rid of it.

1 minute ago, mrmackc said:

I wish I had one like yours . I bet I could have fixed what caused that computer failure,.

It had a box that kept going out, guess it was the brain of the system and it wasn't cheap. some said we could take it off and run it manually. none of us knew how to do that. but we had lost a bunch of members for a couple years and really couldn't afford to fix it or buy propane for it so we sold it.

1 hour ago, DNP said:

The propane generator is nice because you don’t have the fuel to maintain like the diesel, but they are a little pricey when they’re running based on fuel consumption. Wind is a tough one when the mill freezes, solar is tough when it snows or clouds up. Nothing like a good ok clean energy nuclear plant...let’s get back to building those. This event will definitely make some changes in the way they design the mills...so that’s good for engineers I guess. Hope all stay safe out there. Damn global warming. All the hot spots in the world sucked the heat out of us. 

🐄 farts nuff said

4 hours ago, DNP said:

. Wind is a tough one when the mill freezes, solar is tough when it snows or clouds up. Nothing like a good ok clean energy nuclear plant...let’s get back to building those. 

Having a recent Brother In Law who is a consulting nuclear engineer, I am learning a bit about nuclear power. It looks like the next generation reactors will use an exotic salt solution for cooling with a melting point so high that a Chernobyl type melt down will be impossible. We might be headed to that eventually. I am kicking around going solar up here and set it up so I can separate from the grid if necessary. New solar is getting effective enough to use in northern climates.

48 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Having a recent Brother In Law who is a consulting nuclear engineer, I am learning a bit about nuclear power. It looks like the next generation reactors will use an exotic salt solution for cooling with a melting point so high that a Chernobyl type melt down will be impossible. We might be headed to that eventually. I am kicking around going solar up here and set it up so I can separate from the grid if necessary. New solar is getting effective enough to use in northern climates.

Let me know if you do that. If it works for you than it would work for me. I have always wanted to go solar but not sure if it has been worth it.

1 hour ago, ARTrooper said:

Let me know if you do that. If it works for you than it would work for me. I have always wanted to go solar but not sure if it has been worth it.

Checked out Tesla, expensive as all get out. R Squared and Hemi mentioned Enphase in a thread. Going to check that out this Spring.

Edited by Sisco

Something I learned regarding solar panels and the cold from a guy installing solar panels in the Yukon

Even in below-freezing weather, solar panels turn sunlight into electricity. That’s because solar panels absorb energy from our sun’s abundant light, not the sun’s heat. In fact, cold climates are actually optimal for solar panel efficiency. So long as sunlight is hitting a solar panel, it will generate electricity. Any diminished output during the winter months will primarily be due to heavy snow and shorter daylight hours. 

In the winter, it’s also less likely for solar panels to reach their peak temperature, or peak power. Once their temperature rises above that peak temperature, solar panel performance decreases. 

Research has demonstrated that panels begin losing efficiency around 77ºF. so cold and sunny is the key.

26 minutes ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

In the winter, it’s also less likely for solar panels to reach their peak temperature, or peak power. Once their temperature rises above that peak temperature, solar panel performance decreases. 

That's why some solar systems (from certain companies) are inefficient, here in AZ.  Because IT GETS FUCKIN HOT!!!...  And those solar systems designers didn't know that.  Some systems are great, some just completely suck ass.

Edited by 98Z5V

Beautiful out today, mid 20’s and the suns warm. I went to the mail box earlier in shorts and a hoodie. The birds are chirping  and the smell of spring is in the air altho there’s still 24+“ of snow on the ground and we’re suppose to get another 2-3” tomorrow

17 hours ago, Cunuckgaucho said:

Something I learned regarding solar panels and the cold from a guy installing solar panels in the Yukon

Even in below-freezing weather, solar panels turn sunlight into electricity. That’s because solar panels absorb energy from our sun’s abundant light, not the sun’s heat. In fact, cold climates are actually optimal for solar panel efficiency. So long as sunlight is hitting a solar panel, it will generate electricity. Any diminished output during the winter months will primarily be due to heavy snow and shorter daylight hours. 

Research has demonstrated that panels begin losing efficiency around 77ºF. so cold and sunny is the key.

Yeah a few years ago I saw research on some college students which had figured out how to use the excessive heat hitting the solar panels as energy also, since this has always been such a problem. I never read anything about it again sadly. If we can capture the heat as energy along with the light, that would benefit everyone so much.

sadly where I live, my daylight in the winter is shorter because I am on the north side of a hill slope. Main reason I haven’t wanted to put tons of money into solar.