• Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

BRRRRRRRR . . . .

mrmackc

9 hours ago, 98Z5V said:

I don't get it, brother - it's 54* on my back patio right now, in AZ.  At 10:50pm.  We're not that far apart, and all this cold shiit is missing AZ big time.  That's crazy...

Fukker! :thefinger:

Sunday started out okay here, wet but the sun was shining. Looked like it had rained the night before. A couple of hours later it all went to schit! It was snowing and blowing and I'm thinking WTF just happened! By the end of the day everything is covered with about 6" of snow and Monday morning it's still there, with a nice layer of ice underneath. We're 30 miles from the Mexican border and it's like I'm back in Kansas. Fukk my life!

Oh, and to top it off, Sunday when it's snowing and blowing Josh sends me a picture. He's out at my property in Vail getting some wood he has stored out there and the sun is shining, the grandsons are playing and my daughter-in-law is wearing shorts. That's only 200 miles away. He said it was beautiful weather! Dammit, I gotta get this house sold and get over to Arizona!

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still fukin snowing. Neighbor was out with his snow blower did my driveway. Never lived in an area where everyone is so nice and introduce themselves. Snows up to the mailbox. Finally got in the backyard I was clean to the ground. Can't tell from overnight. Good day to be inside. Be safe everyone springs coming. 🍺🍺 #1 rule especially for older people is Don't Fall... that's no joke. 😘

IMG_20210216_093730246.jpg

IMG_20210216_093738984.jpg

IMG_20210216_093608678.jpg

IMG_20210216_093617853.jpg

Had perfect range conditions this morning, -26 at 0630. Just getting ready to head out and they hit us with one of those rolling blackouts, no damn announcement so I gotta treat it like it might not be back soon and start organizing to keep pipes from freezing and making sure Mom was good. 

I find it puzzling, record increases in the power bill over the last decade, that money went for wind power and decommissioning Hydro and nuke power. The coldest mornings tend to not have much wind.............. but rolling blackouts are a good solution short of actually reinvesting in the infrastructure.

3 hours ago, DNP said:

Wow @Armed Eye Doc that’s a fair amount of snow!  Will that be pretty common there?  Going to need a nice cabin next to the stock tank. 

Thankfully, we get snow once a year on average.  This is the most I can remember since being here, about 15 years.  I'm over it and ready for spring.

16 minutes ago, Rsquared said:

82 inside? That's kinda overkill to counteract the outside Temp ain't it? :laffs:

At least the humidity inside is low, so the guns are safe...   :banana:

On a serious note, Tejas is really getting fucked up right now - it is bad. 

This whole blackouts in the middle of a cold snap thing has me thinking my next prep needs to be an independent heat source for the house. Everyone here was burning wood in the 70's, made good money on it and it was always part of everyday chores on the farm, god I a hated hauling and stacking wood............ but it's free, kinda. 

@Armed Eye Doc They told us Texas was at fault for our outage this morning, makes perfect sense a "problem" in Texas over a thousand miles from where I live should cause my power to go out on the coldest morning of the winter.  We're number two in wind power production and use percentage to ya'll there in Texas, IF the wind was blowing here we would have sent you some wind power. :thumbup:

6 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

@Armed Eye Doc They told us Texas was at fault for our outage this morning,

Tejas has a very very low energy reserve - because they've never needed a higher energy reserve.  The Glenn Beck program tonight went over a whole lot of this on tonight's show, so it's worth searching and listening to.  Very good info on the "why" this is happening to Tejas right now. Not the temps - that can't be avoided - but the blackouts that are fucking people up...

Edited by 98Z5V

20 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

They told us Texas was at fault for our outage this morning, makes perfect sense a "problem" in Texas over a thousand miles from where I live should cause my power to go out on the coldest morning of the winter.  We're number two in wind power production and use percentage to ya'll there in Texas, IF the wind was blowing here we would have sent you some wind power. :thumbup:

With the way the electrical grids are connected 1000 miles is nothing. BC Hydro up here has a division that looks after the buying and selling of electricity all over North America, California being one it's biggest clients. 

As I recall, there are 3 major power grids in the country.  There is one in the east, one in the west and one in Texas (mostly).  I believe they are all separate and do not send power from one to another.  I state that from memory but I could be wrong.

I have not heard anything about it, but I can't help but think of a certain person who said they wanted to bankrupt the coal industry.  How many power plants were shut down as a result?

Wind power is great under normal circumstances but is crap in emergency situations.  Too much wind is as bad as too little.  There has to be reliable, standby generating power source for the high demand times.

11 hours ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

As I recall, there are 3 major power grids in the country.  There is one in the east, one in the west and one in Texas (mostly).  I believe they are all separate and do not send power from one to another.  I state that from memory but I could be wrong.

I have not heard anything about it, but I can't help but think of a certain person who said they wanted to bankrupt the coal industry.  How many power plants were shut down as a result?

Wind power is great under normal circumstances but is crap in emergency situations.  Too much wind is as bad as too little.  There has to be reliable, standby generating power source for the high demand times.

Yes Doc so if you hope to have electric energy  in emergencies you best provide it yourself. Like a 20KW propane or Natural gas generator, kept maintained. I found them complete for around $6K. relying on politicians to keep you safe is kind of like a baby bird sitting in the nest with it's mouth open hoping Mom will always come back with a worm and drop it in your mouth.

Drill and frac baby! That Biden idea of "transitioning from coal and petroleum" to wind and solar don't work, and probably never will. I figure more Americans will die from freezing and slick roads than ever will die from Nuclear power plants. Go Nuclear !

Edited by mrmackc

2 minutes ago, mrmackc said:

Yes Doc so if you hope to have electric energy  in emergencies you best provide it yourself. Like a 20KW propane or Natural gas generator, kept maintained. I found then complete for around $6K. relying on politicians to keep you safe is kind of like a baby bird sitting in the nest with it's mouth open hoping Mom will always come back with a worm and drop it in your mouth.

Drill and frac baby! That Biden idea of "transitioning from coal and petroleum" to wind and solar don't work, and probably never will. I figure more Americans will die from freezing and slick roads than ever will die from Nuclear power plants. Go Nuclear !

I do have 2 smaller generators.  I have looked at the whole house generator in the past.  With the new land, I don't know if I want to put one in the current house.  We might not be here that long.

One for the property would be a good idea though.  I would need a large propane tank.  I will start to look at them as we get things moving out there.

1 minute ago, Armed Eye Doc said:

I do have 2 smaller generators.  I have looked at the whole house generator in the past.  With the new land, I don't know if I want to put one in the current house.  We might not be here that long.

One for the property would be a good idea though.  I would need a large propane tank.  I will start to look at them as we get things moving out there.

The standby generators are very portable.