• Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Range Report - Update on my .308 Issues

Black_Sheep

Thanks to all the guys that responded to my previous thread regarding short stroking/fail to feed issues. I’m happy to report that my .308 shoots like a dream. Tonight I ran 75 rounds through the gun without a single stoppage, even after several double taps in quick succession. The bolt locks open on an empty mag, just as it should. I’m so grateful after suffering such crushing disappointment 2 weeks ago. I really appreciate the help, thanks so much.

You guys rock!

The fix? Enlarging the barrel gas port with a #44 drill and swapping the 3.8 ounce buffer and spring for one of Slash’s 5.5 ounce heavy buffers and corresponding buffer spring.

Excellent news man!  Amazing...it seems like every rifle functions with the right gas port and correct buffer.  And if it doesn’t, those items can be ruled out. The 3.8oz buffers were a terrible idea in these bigger rifles. And making the gas port smaller in an attempt to compensate has proven to be the wrong way to go. Happy it’s functioning and now you can play with other parts if you want to. 

Edited by DNP

24 minutes ago, DNP said:

Excellent news man!  Amazing...it seems like every rifle functions with the right gas port and correct buffer.  And if it doesn’t, those items can be ruled out. The 3.8oz buffers were a terrible idea in these bigger rifles. And making the gas port smaller in an attempt to compensate has proven to be the wrong way to go. Happy it’s functioning and now you can play with other parts if you want to. 

I got it dialed in at 50 yards, the next logical step will be to take it out farther and try some different factory loads to determine what the gun likes. Hopefully it can consistently shoot 1 MOA, if it does I’ll be satisfied.

On 4/15/2021 at 7:44 PM, Black_Sheep said:

Thanks to all the guys that responded to my previous thread regarding short stroking/fail to feed issues. I’m happy to report that my .308 shoots like a dream. Tonight I ran 75 rounds through the gun without a single stoppage, even after several double taps in quick succession. The bolt locks open on an empty mag, just as it should. I’m so grateful after suffering such crushing disappointment 2 weeks ago. I really appreciate the help, thanks so much.

You guys rock!

The fix? Enlarging the barrel gas port with a #44 drill and swapping the 3.8 ounce buffer and spring for one of Slash’s 5.5 ounce heavy buffers and corresponding buffer spring.

Black Sheep - That is exactly what I needed to do with my build. 90% Aero Precision parts with Ballistic Advantage 20 inch heavy barrel.

I did as you - #44 drill at the gas port, used an Odin adjustable buffer at 5.45oz and Orange spring from Sprinco. Like you it shoots great now. Eats everything I put through it.

And I absolutely agree that the folks on this forum ROCK!! As for your comment on a 1 inch MOA. I'm not a professional, ex-military or other kind of marksman. But I was able to get 1/2 to 3/4 inch groups at 100 yards on a bench with Bi-pod and rear bag. Now if I could get hose numbers without a rear bag and in a prone position that would be great.

Take care and enjoy your new toy   😃