• Visit Site
  • Visit Beachin Tactical
  • Visit Rainier Arms
  • Visit Ballistic Advantage
  • Visit Palmetto State Armory
  • Visit Cabelas
  • Visit Sportsmans Guide

Introduction

Hey everyone this is Mik. I'm born and raised here in Hawaii (Oahu) so feel free to comment all you want on how much this place resembles a communist state in regards to its 2A laws; just a half step behind Cali 🤯. After graduating from high school I spent 8 yrs in the Army (11B) and got out in 95, but that's where I really learned hot to 'take care' of my weapons. I'm fairly well traveled having come from a divorced home AND having an immigrant as a father...Uncle Sam also helped with the traveling, but I love to travel...it really helps me appreciate where I'm from. Graduated from college with a BS and lately been looking into SDI and their gunsmith course, but their reviews by vets isn't good so who knows. As firearms are concerned I have a few pellet guns(.177/.22), some handguns, but I prefer rifles and have ar's. I really subscribe to the DIY/built-not-bought theory, but if I could afford one I'd love to get a radian model 1. Honestly I'm here to garner as much knowledge as I can about the LR308 because I'm in the process of building one. That's all for now I guess, Aloha ✌️

@edgecrusher Kaneohe's about 45 min away from me, I'm out on the NS 🏄‍♂️

@unforgiven Glad you had a chance to visit but I'm sure you see what I mean about communist with all the restrictions still in place here. The other islands aren't as crowded and it would've been cool for you to see. Affordable housing in Hawaii? Now that's a good joke, like the prices of just about everything else we consume here on the daily. Believe me I have a lot to say on this issue...but I must refrain... woooo saaaahhhh

15 hours ago, 808chx.irradicator said:

@edgecrusher Kaneohe's about 45 min away from me, I'm out on the NS 🏄‍♂️

@unforgiven Glad you had a chance to visit but I'm sure you see what I mean about communist with all the restrictions still in place here. The other islands aren't as crowded and it would've been cool for you to see. Affordable housing in Hawaii? Now that's a good joke, like the prices of just about everything else we consume here on the daily. Believe me I have a lot to say on this issue...but I must refrain... woooo saaaahhhh

I could feel a very cool vib and the respect the Hawaiian people have for older people was refreshing. Politics aside it was bueatiful.

Welcome from San Diego. Read up on some of the “having trouble with…” threads before you buy too many parts. Might help you shop for things that will land you better results from the start. 

Edited by DNP

Is it even legal for you to build that gun in HI?  If it is, WTF do you have to go through to even build it, and make it legal?

That's a seriously fucked up state for ARs.  I'd love to hear about the drama that you need to do and go through, just to have it there.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/7/2021 at 7:46 PM, 98Z5V said:

Is it even legal for you to build that gun in HI?  If it is, WTF do you have to go through to even build it, and make it legal?

That's a seriously fucked up state for ARs.  I'd love to hear about the drama that you need to do and go through, just to have it there.

@98Z5VLegal, yes. Since I'm building it from scratch the way it works is all the parts except the lower can be purchased directly without an FFL. The lower(because as of today, 7/22/21 it's the only thing considered a 'firearm'....although others are trying to change that) needs to be purchased through an FFL and registered with the state. I bought a lot of lowers years ago and have built almost all of them, but the 308 sat there for years. I just reached the point of either building it or selling it, so here I am. Oh, length matters here too, like most states 16" and longer is legal here in HI, sbr's are not, at all. Once it's all built, thats it, since the lower is already registered I don't need to take the completed rifle in to HPD to show them it's complete. Oh, and suppressors aren't legal here either so...and then there's the cost of it all. Next time you order something online try choosing an address in Hawaii to check shipping cost and you'll see what I mean. But like most states politicians are really trying to change things dealing with gun rights. I've literally had legal authorities tell me they're trying to make lever action only legal in the state. Last year Hawaii changed the law regarding 80%'s and made them illegal, unless you purchased them prior to the law being passed in Sept. 2020, but they pressure you to 'serialize' those to be legal. And as for my 308, the only range here on the island only goes out 100 yards. But that's ok with me because I go to Texas each year and that's where I really plan to see how well this build will do. Um, any other questions about Hawaii and our crazy laws just ask, happy to answer.

M.

Edited by 808chx.irradicator