imschur

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

53 minutes ago, GoodByNAair said:

I grilled up some lamb chops a few days ago did not have time to post about it. I had not made them in a few years and they turned out pretty good. I need to work on them just a little. 

Details? Somthing id like to do, one of the grocery stores I service gets in whole locally raised lamb. Somthing I’ve always wanted to try but never had

On 2/5/2018 at 6:46 PM, washguy said:

Sketch don't buy one until you  or I talk to my gal at gmg...ive had my gmg for what now 6 years and never had to pay for a stinkin part yet even after warranty was over...just a couple of months ago after shepp got his wifi  gmg...I called up and got a retrofit for a lil bit of nothing....ive even had them overnite Saturday delivery of a part free of charge that  I needed when I called em on Friday....customer service best ive ever seen....so if your serious ill make the call or let you do it to my gal at gmg......I know ive burned many tons of pellets thru it....it sits outside under this naugahide cover rain snow ice....when I pull the cover off I always wonder how in the hell did they make this custom fit cover that wont rip or come unstiched and be waterproof...hell the cover is better than the grill:laffs:   Wash 

Washman, I've been here before but forgot,  I been watching Traeger,  saw a small one. Renegade,  but will go with the GMGrill if I can decide which one will work, so I'm asking about a basic one, don't cook a large volume at a setting. Usually a rack of ribs, or a 12 lb. turkey or 3 or four rib-eyes or porterhouses, a couple of striper fishes, don't especially need a WI-FI one but would if it will work with my DSL router and my Amazon  Fire HD, or a Windows 10 desktop or laptop, instead of a smart phone.

What say Ye? And any of you other smoking Gurus?

15 hours ago, shepp said:

Details? Somthing id like to do, one of the grocery stores I service gets in whole locally raised lamb. Somthing I’ve always wanted to try but never had

Lamb, the key to good lamb is less in how you cook it (should always be medium rare) and more what the damn things eat. All grass fed like in Patagonia is perfect, but impossible here. Too much corn in their diet, and they get a fatty, gamey muttony taste. Cut back on the corn and substitute more barley and it is exceptional. Used to buy a whole lamb every year from a friend until he quit raising them.  He learned by trial and error. He used to have a whole lamb rotisserie roast over an oak fire every fall. He just put garlic cloves in slits in the meat ( lots of them) and rubbed it down with olive oil and rock salt. You brought your own booze and a sharp knife, and just cut off a chunk while it was on the rotisserie. I still start to salivate when I think about it.

15 hours ago, shepp said:

Also the Madison Costco sells whole frozen New Zealand lamb carcasses prepared for roasting at a really good price.They are hanging in a freezer on the end of the frozen food cases.

4 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Lamb, the key to good lamb is less in how you cook it (should always be medium rare) and more what the damn things eat. All grass fed like in Patagonia is perfect, but impossible here. Too much corn in their diet, and they get a fatty, gamey muttony taste. Cut back on the corn and substitute more barley and it is exceptional. Used to buy a whole lamb every year from a friend until he quit raising them.  He learned by trial and error. He used to have a whole lamb rotisserie roast over an oak fire every fall. He just put garlic cloves in slits in the meat ( lots of them) and rubbed it down with olive oil and rock salt. You brought your own booze and a sharp knife, and just cut off a chunk while it was on the rotisserie. I still start to salivate when I think about it.

That is what you guys should have at the Fall Shoot!

16 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Also the Madison Costco sells whole frozen New Zealand lamb carcasses prepared for roasting at a really good price.They are hanging in a freezer on the end of the frozen food cases.

Thanks sisco. Metcalfes market is the store I service in Madison, the store in hilldale mall on university and midvale gets 3-4 whole fresh lambs in a week. Its the only grocery store I service that still gets whole or even large segments of meat for butcher. 

2 hours ago, shepp said:

Thanks sisco. Metcalfes market is the store I service in Madison, the store in hilldale mall on university and midvale gets 3-4 whole fresh lambs in a week. Its the only grocery store I service that still gets whole or even large segments of meat for butcher. 

:thumbup:I will check it out next time I am in Madison. Thanks.

27 minutes ago, Sisco said:

:thumbup:I will check it out next time I am in Madison. Thanks.

There’s another place just down the road that has all grass fed meats, I’ve yet to be in there yet but my buddy has a few times, he said for being natural grass fed meat their prices were decent

8 minutes ago, shepp said:

he said for being natural grass fed meat their prices were decent

I never have understood this fad. The taste comparison between a grass only fed cow and one that has spent time on full feed is so distinct, full feed equals marbling, tenderness, and a rich flavor (there's a reason they call it prime), grass only equals an iron or liver taste as well as tough and stringy. The cost for raising grass fed is a good bit cheaper, must be some slick marketing going on to convince people they are getting a better product with grass fed only that warrants higher prices. 

19 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

I never have understood this fad. The taste comparison between a grass only fed cow and one that has spent time on full feed is so distinct, full feed equals marbling, tenderness, and a rich flavor (there's a reason they call it prime), grass only equals an iron or liver taste as well as tough and stringy. The cost for raising grass fed is a good bit cheaper, must be some slick marketing going on to convince people they are getting a better product with grass fed only that warrants higher prices. 

Kinda like how drummies went from being the inexpensive redheaded stepchild of poultry products to being ridiculously costly 'cause the wing fad.

31 minutes ago, jtallen83 said:

Cattle evolved eatting grass, way I understand it is like humans we can survive eatting fast food and processed foods/ processed sugars but it’s much healthier to eat veggies and meats and a low carb diet. Same goes for cattle, they can eat grains but it’s much better/ healthier to eat grass and graze like they evolved. 

“You are what you eat”

23 minutes ago, shepp said:

Cattle evolved eatting grass, way I understand it is like humans we can survive eatting fast food and processed foods/ processed sugars but it’s much healthier to eat veggies and meats and a low carb diet. Same goes for cattle, they can eat grains but it’s much better/ healthier to eat grass and graze like they evolved. 

I don't see why it would matter how healthy the food is for the cow, we kill and eat them before they get anywhere near old. Give a cow a choice between grass or corn, corn wins every time so it has nothing to do with what makes the cow happy, happy cow equals tasty meat. In reality they only spend a short time on full feed before butchering anyway, up till then they eat grass. If there are differences in the nutritional  values of the meat it's minimal at best. Still doesn't explain how people ended up paying more for a product that is considerably cheaper to produce, sheeple factor is all I can think of. The liberal enviro nuts and pita philes have convinced themselves they know what is best for the cow and it will save the world if we just eat grass fed. I see it as stage one of their plan to get us to stop eating meat, easier if it doesn't taste as good.

Grass fed isn’t necessairily tough and stringy. Genetics and supplementry diet plays a role. Up here, with our winters, 100 % grass fed year round is not an option. Look at some of the cattle country in the southwest, and burrs, sage and other stuff probably account for  a good portion of the cattle diet. Preparation also plays a role.Pork is a lot leaner then in years past as well. So I brine my pork and even brine my beef at times, if it is a traditional tough cut. The beef I get is a mix of grass fed, some corn and other grains. It works and works well. Tender, not over fatty, and good flavor.

3 minutes ago, Sisco said:

Grass fed isn’t necessairily tough and stringy. Genetics and supplementry diet plays a role.

Supplementary being the key here! The whole fad is based on strictly grass fed, free range beef, it's cruel to keep the cow in a pen with all the tasty corn it wants you know. No doubt a good cook can make grass fed tasty and tender but all things equal just not as tasty and tender as a heavily marbled cut of beef :drool:

Like this here  vvvvvvv

9 minutes ago, washguy said:

20180512_181902.jpg

every last morsel bitches! im about to live in the fucking woods and wont waste a bit of fresh meat!   

Jesus i need a heart attack so i can fucking relax! ??? long day not getting better. im just . you guys are great! i might grill tomorrow or go to work. or fml and dissapear. cant get right?

1 hour ago, washguy said:

SKETCH.   The round steak to spit in your mouth?... The money shot... Is this

37408.jpeg

Damn that looks like my moms cheese cake!! 

My mom and I always go to the plant sale at the garden club the day before mother’s day. She says today can you come for super tomorrow dads making ribs, I said yes, lil later she asks do you like coslaw or tater salad, my reply was well ma I love your tater salad she says well I’ll make that then idk what I’m gonna make for desert tho. I said what about peach cobbler, she perk up said OH YEAH!  Then I felt bad like it’s mothers day why she cooking so long story longer I’m making peach cobbler tomorrow ???

• shepp locked and unlocked this topic