• Visit Sportsmans Guide

What do you have on order or in the mail? Part 2

imschur

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, sketch said:

I grabbed up a cold steel tiger claw (karambit) from Amazon for 39$ well 2 one for my bro. I'll do some playing and give the blade section a visit with pics. 

I have one of those as well as a couple other karambits. Nasty self defense weapon but I don’t have any training other than messing around. Doug Marcaida has a couple vids out that show how to use it.

On 4/27/2020 at 5:25 AM, Radioactive said:

I have one of those as well as a couple other karambits. Nasty self defense weapon but I don’t have any training other than messing around. Doug Marcaida has a couple vids out that show how to use it.

I wouldn't want to get hit by one

10 minutes ago, billymagg said:

Now that's amazing, I'd like a .40

I almost put a check in the mail for a Wilson Tactical Hunter yesterday? but that is a lot of coin. I'm struggling with the numbers, but I love the Wilson.

Edited by billymagg

Wilson is not a bad place to spend money if you're looking for top notch quality.  I just bought an extractor for a 70 series 1911for example,  the steel exudes confidence with the way it's made.  You know these things break at absolutely the wrong time.  I understand sometimes it is the money and cost for the moment.  I reread your post @billymagg,  let us help you with your struggle,  go for it,  now!

55 minutes ago, RedRiverII said:

Wilson is not a bad place to spend money if you're looking for top notch quality.  I just bought an extractor for a 70 series 1911for example,  the steel exudes confidence with the way it's made.  You know these things break at absolutely the wrong time.  I understand sometimes it is the money and cost for the moment.  I reread your post @billymagg,  let us help you with your struggle,  go for it,  now!

Thank you my Brother, the lovely and always beautiful "Honey Badger" is the head teller at our local money repository, she was balancing the check book at home this am, and had a meltdown over 400 bucks she couldn't find.... I'm glad I didn't pull the trigger yesterday!!!! but it's still on the agenda, my local Gunny would love to build me one, but Wilsons matched WC-10 uppers/lowers and BCG are out of stock, when I call, they have no idea when that's going to change...  I just love the Wilson Bill et upper and lower receiver,,, I'm kinda hooked on the OD Green??? damn, why do I have to want krap like that, why couldn't I build and Aero Precision M5 and be happy???

2 hours ago, sagebrush said:

ordered an aero m5e1 upper for my shorty sig barrel build. also the toolcraft bcg 

Awesome, man!   I just finished mine, as far as base gun goes.  For that combo, double check your barrel once you put it in the M5 upper - mine needed an 11.000" gas tube.

38 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Awesome, man!   I just finished mine, as far as base gun goes.  For that combo, double check your barrel once you put it in the M5 upper - mine needed an 11.000" gas tube.

thanks, will do. I read heminut's report on his shorty build, he drilled his port .078 may I ask what port size you are going to use on your barrel?

4 minutes ago, sagebrush said:

thanks, will do. I read heminut's report on his shorty build, he drilled his port .078 may I ask what port size you are going to use on your barrel?

It is what it is,right now.  I got the gun built last weekend - still waiting on the gas tube to show up.  It's unfired right now.  I'll keep it updated, once I get a build thread going on it.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:15 AM, DNP said:

I’m seeing a pattern in our sickness. My wife is an accountant as well. Hmmmm. 

Yep, maybe I am on the right track???

On 5/2/2020 at 11:07 AM, RedRiverII said:

I married a professional bookkeeper,  I understand.  That's the real reason they call em' battle rifles.  Once the Mrs. discovers the true cost it's battle time.

On 5/2/2020 at 11:15 AM, DNP said:

I’m seeing a pattern in our sickness. My wife is an accountant as well. Hmmmm. 

On no, well, it may be back on?? I'm holding my breath and saying my prayers!

On 5/2/2020 at 9:31 AM, RedRiverII said:

Well as they say, they check is in the mail!

On 5/3/2020 at 11:20 PM, 98Z5V said:

It is what it is,right now.  I got the gun built last weekend - still waiting on the gas tube to show up.  It's unfired right now.  I'll keep it updated, once I get a build thread going on it.

Yes, keep us up to date, waiting on the range report, and I'll be real honest, you really got me tempted to build that Wilson myself?? but with no uppers/lowers, it couldn't be a Wilson, so looking around I did find the Rainier matched upper and lower in stock... so it was about 200 bucks more than the Wilson??? crazy right? but as I started pricing upper/lower, BCG, barrel, adjustable gas block, handguard, buffer tube, buffer, rear stock? a lot of coin as well, then there are the small parts and getting everything assembled to proper tolerances and working together as a team??

So I took one more shot at Mr. Wilson, he's got a set of Wilson rings and a 3x9 Leopold from the factory, the Wilson 4lb trigger, light weight Wilson BCG, so all that Wilson Kool along with  "Tactical Hunter" engraved on the dust cover, and Mr. Wilson Combat who is going to Air Force OCS on June 30, took another couple of hundred off?? 

So little Miss Wilson should be on her way tomorrow, all gorgeous OD green upper/lower and barrel, I wish it had a better Leopold? I've even put a few hot rounds through my little Husqvarna "Axe Kicker", 30-06! She was named by a friend who only fired one round, and I was buying the ammo! I also shot the ugly little "Tactical Savage 110 in 308. I had changed both scopes, so there was quite a bit of jockeying around with adjustments, and the Husky has demented genius Maynard Beuhler's lovely bases and rings, which were allowing my Leopold 2X7 to keep setting back, so a morning tweaking that gal, and putting clear nail polish in the rear rings??

That Leopold has always been super stiff on the zoom, but it would not budge at all, so I got out a heavy old cloth diaper and the channel locks, and finally got to to move through about half the travel, thinking I would send it in?? but once I pulled the rear rings and spun the front out of the mount, it was clear that it had backed up so far into the rear ring, that it was all scarred up, and yes zoom travel went back to its normally super stiff movement, and yes, I hate it that I dinged up my scope zoom ring..

but after the range session with clear nail polish, not set back, although I did have to have the big screw driver loosen the big screws on the side of the rear mount and kick the rear of the scope slightly back to the right, so we shall see how I did maybe tomorrow...

all my hot butt kicking gunshow ammo Dude's 110 grain reloads are gone too thankfully, I did notice a couple of split case necks, so that brass is going into the scrap pile..

FYI, Wilson has redesigned their upper/lowers recently and the formerly slab sided billet upper receiver, has a series of serious lightening cuts milled in the upper receiver, it is light though, but I liked the slab sided billet upper better....

Thanks everybody, for all the outstanding advice, I've been reading a lot of build threads here on the forum, and I'd like to think I learned enough to make a sound decision and buy a new, sorted weapon. I'm old and I hate dinging sheite up, especially expensive sheite, beautiful stuff, I just hate it, and while I fancy myself something of a mechanic?? cars, airplanes, Smith and Wesson revolvers, and some very light rifle work??  I kind of try to avoid projects these days, (yes, my old Firebird still isn't back together yet)?? in fact its for sale if I can get somebody to shoot me a fair price!

5 minutes ago, billymagg said:

(yes, my old Firebird still isn't back together yet)?? in fact its for sale if I can get somebody to shoot me a fair price!

Pics of the Firebird, man!~    I love those things...  :banana:

58 minutes ago, 98Z5V said:

Pics of the Firebird, man!~    I love those things...  :banana:

Yes Sir, don't get too excited, its an 81 Esprit, I have a 400 short block finished, has a Milodon gear drive with a single idler wheel, not a timeing hash mark anywhere, LOL.. Heads are done, just needs reassembled! I'll try to get em up tomorrow...

3 minutes ago, billymagg said:

Yes Sir, don't get too excited, its an 81 Esprit, I have a 400 short block finished, has a Milodon gear drive with a single idler wheel, not a timeing hash mark anywhere, LOL.. Heads are done, just needs reassembled! I'll try to get em up tomorrow...

HELL YEAH!!!   :hail::banana:

If it was a '77 Esprit in Buckskin Gold, I would have shiit my pants...   :lmao:

Edited by 98Z5V